close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

List of Must Notify states?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by kda, Dec 5, 2011.

1. kda

kda NRA Life Member

I travel a bit and I think it would be helpful if someone could compile, or point me to, a list of states that have "must notify" provisions in their concealed carry statutes.

Anyone know of such a list?

I do NOT wish to re-open the discussion of should one volunteer the fact they are carrying when it is not required.

2. Unistat

Unistat

Michigan is one.

3. jhoagland

jhoagland That's right! Lifetime Member

South Carolina and I think North Carolina.

4. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

Here is a map I keep around to answer such questions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  5. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Wow I didn't realize how many states don't require you to inform.

6. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

And please no one say you don't have to notify in Texas. It is still in their law that you have to. There is just no penalty if you don't but it is still in their law.

Sec. 411.205. Requirement to Display License.
    If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

7. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

For sure! I thought it would be more.

In Canton, OH, you had better shout it to the world if a cop gets within 100 feet of you... :whistling:

8. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

Those poor folks in Illinois...the only green state on the map. Sad.

9. TXMary

TXMary

I guess since I am new to this, I am just naive. Why would you NOT want to tell an officer you are carrying? I do live in TX which is a must notify anyway so I will be notifying when I am carrying. But last time I checked, I thought we were supposed to be on the same side as the cops--the Good Guys. Just them knowing that you have a CHL tells them up front that you are NOT a criminal or you wouln't have gotten it. Maybe I just have had a better relationship with LEO's in our area--my husband was at one time a reserve deputy with the Sherrifs dept. and we have a lot of friends who are LEO's

10. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

It's not that you shouldn't but that it shouldn't be required by law. Ask a guy in Canton, Ohio what he thinks about it. For those who OC in Michigan it can be problematic if carrying a concealed BUG. The officer is stopping them because they are doing something legal and they shouldn't be required to ID themselves just because the officer is confronting them about doing something completely legal.

11. TXMary

TXMary

I guess it is because I live in the great state that I do(!) that I don't have a grasp of getting stopped for doing something legal!! MY problem and the only thing I've ever been stopped for is my lead foot!! I admit (with glee!) that as a grandma, at my age maybe I have a different perspective of law enforcement than some of the younger ones or those who live farther north!

12. kensteele

kensteele

So the question again is this. If you fail to notify the officer, do you think it should be a criminal offense and the carrier is subjected to being arrested?

That's what we are dealing with. I don't want to be a criminal for making a "mistake" because circumstances did not permit me to notify the officer in a timely manner or there was some confusion or mix-up. We can work on the communication and we can be on the same page but I will NOT be a criminal if I don't "do it right." So those type of laws don't stand in KS. You put in place any kind of law you want but laws that make me a criminal for committing harmless and/or benign acts are unacceptable. In my state, failure to notify is not a criminal act. It may be frowned upon or there might be better ways to handle it, but it's not felonious.

If I am driving my car out to lunch minding my own business and I have my boss in teh car with me or my mother-in-law and my tire touches the solid yellow line and a city police pulls me over, in your state you'll be having a three-way conversation about weapons and self-defense between you, the officer, and your anti-gun boss who may change his mind about your promotion or your gun-hating MIL who will tell the rest of the family that you tote a firearm around....a "loaded" firearm. Your law tells you when to have that conversation and how to have it. My law tells me the conversation is optional and private if it needs to be.

It's funny the law doesn't apply to non-permit holders in some cases, so in states like TX where you are allowed to carry a firearm in the car (permit or not), the permit holders have a law to follow and the non-permit holders are somewhat exempt. I don't understand that. It's almost as if you give up some of your right in exchange for a permit.

My 2 cents.

13. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I'll jump in too and say I see this as exactly the same as a law requiring you to notify law enforcement of any lost or stolen guns.

Yeah, sure, everyone's going to anyway but should it actually be a LAW?

Yeah, you should tell the cop but should it actually be a LAW?

14. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

kensteele,

I agree with you. If a criminal with a felony conviction is stopped by an officer and is carrying a firearm he is protected by the 5th Amendment against self incrimination on informing the officer. At least Attorneys will tell you that is what they would argue and in my opinion they are correct. You don't have to incriminate yourself and have the right to remain silent. But if you are law abiding if you don't tell them then you are a criminal.

It really takes smart politicians to think up laws like this. In Michigan a man handed his license and permit to the officer and then 43 seconds after the officer made it to his car window he stated out loud he had a permit to carry. He was charged and convicted for not informing as 43 seconds was not right away. Go figure.

But the thing of it is us good guys will follow the law while the bad people don't care. This law only applies to the good guys. Again I can't figure out the politicians.

15. TXMary

TXMary

well, that's why I am here---to learn all these things that I haven't ever thought of before! You are right--it makes no sense that the law says that if I have a CHL (and all that it entails getting--classes, qualifying, background, fingerprints, etc) i HAVE to tell, but if I haven't gone through that, I DON'T have to tell. I was looking at it from the opinion that I don't care if they know--I would rather tell them up front than have it be a surprise. And since I AM the mother-in-law(!) I don't have to worry about that conversation!

16. DaneA

DaneA

/Thread

Why not start yet ANOTHER thread on volunteering information the officer is going to find out about anyway.

17. Lee-online

Lee-online Mul-ti-pass

PA has no duty to inform.

I will not inform unless I know my weapon will be seen and in a traffic stop, that is unlikely.

By informing you have nothing to gain but potentially alot to lose.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Map's a tad misleading WRT AZ.

There is no requirement to volunteer the information, but it's a crime to lie or not answer when asked.

19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Depends on the state. There are a few that the cop will probably never know unless you tell him.

20. jb1911

jb1911

They voted for the libs. I moved out of Ill-inois and Crook County to Indiana.