List of breeds that don't shed?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by TFin04, Mar 3, 2007.

1. TFin04

TFin04

I'm looking at getting a dog but still live at home with my mom (I'm 20).

She isn't too receptive of the idea but recently has said as long as I build a fence for the yard and get a dog that doesn't shed she wont mind.

I originally wanted a Boxer, but I was wondering if there might be other options out there.

Here's what I want:

- Medium size, 2-2.5 feet tall at the top of his head when grown would be good.
    - No shedding or very little shedding
    - Loyal and protective but smart enough to be trained to be good with kids, other dogs, etc.

Any ideas?

2. pilot996

pilot996 Guest

good luck. the only breed i can think of off hand is a yorkie, but that obviously doesnt fit your other wants. i didnt think a boxer shed all that much. it sheds, but i thought it was significantly less than a lab, but i guess i could be wrong. boxers drool a lot, and i think are gassy, but i didnt think shedding was a huge issue with them.

edit: heres a list of "light" shedders

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lightshedders.htm

3. John97

John97 Guest

I'd suggest a Wheaton terrier, much like my beloved Aireadles but smaller.

4. TFin04

TFin04

Yeah I know there are very few dogs who DON'T shed, mainly one who sheds enough to be manageable. I work in a business professional environment and I want a low shedding dog as much as she does. Dog hair gets everywhere, I don't want it on my suit every day! :)

Thanks for the link.

5. RM

RM Millennium Member

I am a big fan of the Weimaraner. They are a low shed dog and extremely smart. However, they are a dog for those who like constant companions, they always have to be around their humans.

6. Dandapani

Dandapani

Poodle. Comes in various sizes.

7. uninc

uninc Guest

You should look into a Miniature Schnauzer. Sounds perfect for what you are looking for. I have had my Miniature Schnauzer "Pepper" for over 15 years now, lol he's a old man. I honestly couldnt ask for anything more out of a dog.:thumbsup:

8. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

The bichon frise does not shed.

I have a pair of them. One at 15 lbs and one at 20 lbs.

Probably a little smaller than what you are looking for but good dogs.

9. PARRIS G-23

PARRIS G-23

How about an American Pit Bull Terrier, or an American Staffordshire Terrier. They seem to fit what you are looking for. You have to socialize them early so that they will be good with other animals. I have 4 APBT's, and 1 Amstaff. No problems what so ever.

10. chiefmanywrench

chiefmanywrench

Hi I have a black standard poodle, she doesent shed and is a super pet Cheers!

11. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Poodles don't shed at all. I NEVER thought I would have one until my wife got herself one and it is now part of our family. They are very smart dogs. I like the full sized ones too. I don't think Schnauzer's shed at all either.

12. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I had a Schnauzer named Wolfgang as a kid. He followed me everwhere. He used to skip with his back legs it was the funniest thing. He was a very loyal and nice dog.

13. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Guest

My friend has a Cockapoo (Cocker Spaniel + Poodle) that doesn't shed and is a small/medium sized dog. They are also good with kids. Some people sell these mixes as "designer dogs" and charge $800+ for these dogs, but I'd never pay it. In the end, it's a mutt. Naturally, mutts can have the best traits of each of the breeds, but they shouldn't charge such insane prices.

Rebecca

14. compassman

compassman

Find a breed that has a personality and traits that you can live with. Research very carefully and make a well thought out decision. If at all possible look into a rescue as a possible choice. If you want a puppy research for a responsible breeder. There is a list questions you should ask the breeder. Remember that this is a life you are going to be responsible for and it will be for a long time. I see lot of rescues come into our foundation and most of them started out with good intentions. You have a good start with some traits your looking for and your asking questions.

15. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Shi Tzu's
    Poodles
    Cockapoos

16. Penguini66

Penguini66

My next door neighbor has a black Labradoodle. It was not supposed to shed. But it does a little. After further reading(from the above link):

I'm guessing he ended up with an F1 since it seems to shed. But not enough to bother his alergy plagued owner.

It seems to be a great dog. Is VERY obedient and trained easily. He walks it around the neighborhood off leash all the time. It will 'come' in a second when called. Great with people and other dogs (even our Pyr that hates most other dogs gets along with it). On the other hand, it seems to be a pretty high energy dog that needs/likes to be exercised quite often. If you've got a yard, this shouldn't be a problem.

I originally thought the "doodle" dogs were silly. But this one has begun to grow on me.

17. HarlDane

HarlDane

You can get different kinds of Poodle crosses that are being bred for dog lovers with allergies. Poodles have a girly reputation, but if you don't give them a silly haircut and remind yourself that they used to be hunting dogs you'll love them. They are also VERY smart.

18. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

19. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Guest

Samoyed's are GORGEOUS!!! Hey, if you REALLY don't want a dog that sheds, you could always go for a Chinese Crested... considering that some are hairless. ;)

20. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

Not to start a huge debate, or anything like that but it is dumb to say no dog sheds. All dogs will loose hair on a regular basis. If you are looking for an animal that does not loose hair at all, you shouldn't be looking for an animal. If you are talking about actually not growing a winter coat and loosing it... Then I would recommend an American Pit Bull Terrier.