Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Batesmotel, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

So my daughter had an earthquake drill today. She works at a zoo which made for some interesting situations. Snake bites, dart an escaped gorilla, bears without a fence, power out on the hot grass, monkeys on the loose. Lots of fun stuff.

Then it gets freaky. County fire department was involved. One station had to abandon the drill because of a real gas leak elsewhere (could happen in a real event) leaving the other station to deal with it alone but the zoo wouldn't let them in because protocol says no one in or out until perimeter is secured and dangerous animals are accounted for. Don't want to let FD in and let a tiger out. They found themselves in several catch 22s like that.

I.E. Need to move the gorilla but can't because no one knows if the bears are out. Can't check the bears because the gorilla might be coming out of the tranquilizer dart.

She had a fun day and learned a lot, she was the snake bite victim.

This week I am giving a presentation to a large church group on the mental and psychological aspects of emergency preparation. As she knows this is coming up she shared her experiences with me today in detail.

The point is be prepared for the totally unexpected. Brainstorm any improbable or obscure situation which you could find yourself in.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Stepping down to the gin palace

That is pretty interesting!

3. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

My advice is... don't play with snakes during an earthquake. :supergrin:

4. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Her mistake was walking too close to a wall in the small animal building. A manager in charge of the drill saw her almost step on a toy snake and judged that she got bit. Supposed to stay 3 feet from things if there is any broken glass in the snake area.

Good drill. It really showed how fast things get confused because of an unexpected chain of events.

5. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

That right there shows the importance of carrying out physical drills, not just paper ones.

The same reason everyone should test their bug-out plan, run through it and not just once.

6. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Bingo. Do it again and say that "XYZ" road is flooded, now what? Or something like that. Set up the unexpected.

7. Aceman

Aceman

I'm thinking my Zoo preps include an AR platform in .458 SOCOM....

.458 SOCOM: Lions and Tigers and Bear - and so what?

8. Akita

Akita gone

What's 'hot grass'?

9. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

Sounds like that drill was taken seriously.

I imagine most drills are not nearly that illuminating.

10. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

A form of electric fence. Instead of strung wires it is wire spikes (3-18 inches long) connected to a common wire that can be concealed in grass or bushes. Looks a lot nicer than a traditional electric fence. Just gives a mild shock and the animals learn to stay away from that area. Most zoo enclosures are designed to keep you out, not the animal in.

11. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

It is a good zoo. Most zoos do not get an AZA (association of zoos and aquariums) certification. Ours does. Very well run and drills like this are things many zoos don't do.

12. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Unofficially, I think they have dart guns that are fatal and a couple of big bore bolt guns. No way to know but I have heard rumors. 102 years and never had to be used.

13. Braken

Braken

Sounds like in place policies and procedures could be just about as bad as the actual emergency, just like the woman needing cpr being denied it the other day.

14. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I don't understand. Policies are in place to prevent an emergency from getting worse. If everything went wrong they at least try to contain it to the property. A pain to deal with but containment is the final goal.

15. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I believe we NEED to take those big bore guns out and verify they work.:whistling:

Seriously, bolt rifles may be ok, but some of the those big bore side beside guns may not work unless they were cleaned inside and out ever now and then.

16. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I wish, oh how I wishI have a .375 and a .416. I would like to know what zoos actually have.