close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LION versus TIGER who wins?!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by moeman, Jul 19, 2012.

1. moeman

moeman

Since we agrue about all kinds of crap here why not animal versus animal:

[​IMG]

By: Natalie Wolchover

Published: 07/16/2012 07:29 AM EDT on Lifes Little Mysteries

In this weekly series, Life's Little Mysteries provides expert answers to challenging questions.

This ultimate cat fight has happened more times than you might expect. The Romans pitted African lions against Asian tigers in the Coliseum, to the rip-roaring pleasure of the Plebeians. A few fights were also staged in the early decades of the 20th century, and on several modern occasions, accidental cross-species encounters at zoos have quickly developed into gruesome scenes guaranteed to scar any nearby schoolchildren for life.

But how do these lion versus tiger showdowns go down?

Offhand mentions in the historical record imply that tigers usually came out on top in ancient Rome, and modern fights in captivity typically go that way, too — but not every time. Lions and tigers each have their strengths, and "the outcome of a given fight completely depends on the individuals: their history, fighting style and physiology," said Craig Saffoe, a biologist and the curator of great cats at the Smithsonian Zoo in Washington, D.C.

"But if I had to put my money on it I would give the advantage to the tiger," Saffoe told Life's Little Mysteries.[Video of lion vs. tiger fight]

First, although an especially large tiger will outweigh any lion, the two species usually have comparable sizes. Estimates vary, but Saffoe says an average adult male African lion and an average adult male Bengal tiger (the most common wild tiger subspecies) both weigh in the neighborhood of 400 to 420 pounds (180 to 190 kilograms).

Lions' manes confer a physical advantage. According to Saffoe, this built-in chain mail protects their necks, and it also serves as a reminder of the fact that male lions are pre-programmed for fighting. "Lions are social where tigers are not, so just in growing up, lions are going to play-fight a lot because they are training to fight over the rights to be in a pride, whereas a tiger can go its whole life without an encounter," he said.

Although combat experience would give veteran lions prowess, the social nature of these cats may ultimately be their biggest weakness in a brawl with a tiger. According to the Lion Research Center at the University of Minnesota, coalitions of two to three male lions usually fight as a group against territorial rivals, but tigers always go it alone. This difference affects the two cats' instincts.

What I've seen from tigers, they seem to be more aggressive; they go for the throat, go for the kill," Saffoe said. "Whereas the lions are more, 'I will just pound you and play with you.' Lions can maybe afford to play around a bit more because they've got backup with other lions. Tigers can't. Maybe they are conditioned through their evolution never to depend on help from anyone else and always to go for the quick kill."

It's that ruthlessness that gives tigers the edge more often than not.

Before we call it quits, might as well throw a few other cats into the ring. How would a South American jaguar fare against a lion or tiger? What about a leopard or cheetah? [The 6 Craziest Animal Experiments]

By Saffoe's reckoning, the big cats rank as follows: it's a toss-up between tigers, jaguars and lions at the top, and following them, in order of higher to lower rank, would be leopards, cougars, snow leopards and cheetahs. "The most intriguing match-up would be a good size Bengal tiger and a good-size male jaguar, because both those animals have about the same temperament, speed, size and strength," he said.

The leopard holds the wild card. "Don't count leopards out. They're small but very powerful and capable fighters," Saffoe said. "Who knows, a leopard might turn into a whirling dervish and rip up a lion or tiger."

2. crazyasian1

crazyasian1

LMAO, never a dull monet around here! Tigers FTW of course. Bigger, meaner and more cunning. Male lions are pansies and scavengers (relatively speaking of course), they don't hunt they just come in after the females take the game down and bully their way to the front of the line. The only real killing they do is other lion cubs, therefore it's a clear win for the tigers. But of course, I'm biased!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

3. Gareth68

Gareth68

If there are lions and tigers, there must be bears.

I go with the Bear.

4. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Salt water Croc.

I win.

5. Gareth68

Gareth68

Unless, that croc gets too deep in the salt water and encounters Sharks with frickin' laser beams.

:dunno:

6. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Nope, his scales will deflect any laser beams aimed at him.

Salt water croc > all basically.

Again, I just posted the animal to end all animals in the thread. It can be closed now mods, no need for further discussion. :rofl::supergrin:

7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Adult male tigers usually outweigh adult male lions by, something like, a hundred pounds. So, if both creatures are in their prime you tell me which one is going to win.

8. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Lion or Tiger?

I'll take Manbearpig for the win!

[​IMG]

9. PBCounty

PBCounty

Shalligator would take them both....just imagine an amphibious great white with legs and covered in alligator scales.

10. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Never happen. See the Lions play football and the Tigers play baseball so they would never meet. :whistling:

11. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

The lion and tiger better keep their fighting on dry land. Should they go into the water...

[​IMG]

12. Altaris

Altaris

Hippos ftw!

These Hippos care so little about your Crocs that they go walk up to them and start licking them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6vJXRwsoSk"]Hippo Licks Croc - YouTube[/ame]

13. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

I will go with the tiger. There is one locally that is over 850 lbs. An 850 lb cat is a scary animal.
    The common notion that male lions just sit around is preposterous. I was recently in Africa where three young bachelor male lions we were following took down two adult giraffes simultaneously. Later, a cape buffalo.
    The pride daddies do let the chicks scare up chow, though.

14. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

<<<< See my username.

Tiger for the win. Unless Manbearpig shows up, then Lion and Tiger may have to team up.

15. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

Tigers in Siberia hunt and eat brown bears. They hide in wait and jump on their backs and go for the throat. But they also say bears kill tigers too. I guess it depends on who gets the drop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_tiger

16. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

I pick the Liger

[​IMG]

Seriously though...Id pick the Tiger, but would like to see how the Jaguar fares. Those are some beautiful animals.

17. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Oh, I thought this was a thread about the Apple Operating System.

18. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Now THAT'S a big kitty cat!!!

19. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Crimson Tide, much to my chagrin.

20. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

I know right. But they don't live very long, and I believe they are also sterile.