Linux

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ReyFufuRulesAll, Aug 16, 2007.

1. ReyFufuRulesAll

ReyFufuRulesAll Pantless Wonder

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Are you still running Ubuntu, or did you switch? I seem to recall you wanting to try something a little more complex.

IGF

3. ReyFufuRulesAll

Still running Ubuntu, but I treated myself to a fresh install (my bumbling Beryl install and accidental insertion of Kubuntu code did bad things for me).

I tried DSL just to see, but my disc was trash so i'll have to re-download the ISO.

In the meantime, i'm using my fancy new install and Windows sometimes (iTunes, games, etc).

I have my new HDD for my comp, but have yet to install it; a lappy is so much easier to carry through the halls at my college. :thumbsup: :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

I've been running Sidux Linux for a while. It's based on Debian Sid and is installed from a live CD. Sidux replaced Kanotix and Knoppix has been quiet for a long time so it may have replaced Knoppix too. It's all Debian Sid, even the kernel so adding Debian packages works better than it did with Knoppix. Ubuntu was really running slow for me until 7.04 which helped some. Sidux is plenty fast though.

http://sidux.com

32 bit download live CD, 700 MB

http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/sidux/release/sidux-2007-03.1-200708151444-gaia-kde-full.iso

For those with slow connections there is a "lite" version live CD that lacks OpenOffice. 450 MB download

http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/sidux/release/sidux-2007-03.1-200708151418-gaia-kde-lite.iso

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Most KDE apps will run fine on Ubuntu/Gnome, provided all the proper libraries get installed. There's a few apps for KDE that I prefer over Gnome apps.

Do you use iTunes just to transfer to your Ipod, or to purchase music? If you just use it to transfer, Amarok is a great iPod tool.

Beryl should be pretty easy to install, what version of Ubuntu are you using, and what type of video device?

IGF

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I put Sidux on my laptop about a week ago, and so far, its pretty much what I'm used to. It did have some issues detecting my sound device, which I eventually got sorted out.

Other than that, its pretty well buisess as usual, but it is faster than Ubuntu.

IGF

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

There was an Aug 14th release that had issues with audio playback in Xine. This was fixed in the Aug 15th iso release. They were both on the server for a few says. Make sure the iso have in the current one. They have recently removed the Aug 14th iso. The Aug 14th release was 2007-03 and the Aug 15th and current release is 2007-03.1 This can be fixed on an installed system using apt. Sidux though does seem to have some of the best hardware detection. Ubuntu puts so many modules in the kernel for every little thing it really drags down the system. Upgrading packages in Ubuntu doesn't as stable in Debian. Updates work fine but upgrades don't always go as well in Ubuntu.

8. ReyFufuRulesAll

1) "proper libraries"? Educate me, o lord of linux

2) purchase.

3) My initial install of Beryl (using the old Ubuntu install) used some bad coding that didn't have to be there, which I tried to fix but failed miserably. I have it installed on my new tux install, and it is fine.

P.S. Beryl is AWESOME!!! when it works :supergrin:

9. Fraggle09027

Fraggle09027

Speaking of distro's. I'm downloading CentOS 5.0 for a spare box I have. Any concerns running CentOS? (Ubuntu 7.04 on this box)

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Never used 5.0, used 4.0(or maybe 3.4) for a short time. Its more or less Redhat based, which I hate. Debian has spoiled the hell out of me, I could never go back to RH based distros(and I really used to like Fedora)...

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Easy there...lol, thats still DC's title.. :) When you're wanting to run a KDE app(for instance, my favorite KDE apps are Amarok and Ktorrent), you just sudo apt-get those apps in a terminal. When you do, you'll see a fairly long list of dependencies and libraries, install them all, and KDE apps will run fine on Gnome.

Honesty, there's something you don't see much of. I purchase music by the track at some different online spots, so I don't mess with iTunes. Amarok is awesome for transferring to the Ipod, so is Rhythmbox, gtkPod is OK, and Banshee pretty much sucks if you ask me. I've been messing with Exaile(pretty much the Gnome version of Amarok), but for some reason it won't cooperate with my Ipod.. no real loss.

I've had beryl installed w/o issue, but I don't have it right now. If your eally want some help, log on to Xchat, and get on the freenode network. Then join the room "#ubuntu-effects".. Those guys in there are brilliant at working out various beryl issues.

Hope that helps..

IGF

12. ReyFufuRulesAll

I meant "when it works" as in the program's not quite as stable as i'd hope.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Hmm, well I've had no stability issues, what type of video device do you have?

IGF

14. ReyFufuRulesAll

NVidia.

Maybe the stability has been bettered since I ran it last (oopdates)

15. GCPD724

GCPD724 NRA Member

I just switched to Linux (Ubuntu) after a disappointing experience with windows vista. Got it running on my Acer Aspire 3680 and seems to be doing well.

16. ReyFufuRulesAll

you just made my day, no kidding :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hugs:

17. GCPD724

GCPD724 NRA Member

Glad I could help. :banana:

18. neeko

neeko Guest

Slackware 12 was released about a month ago, try that if you're looking to learn the nuts and bolts.

19. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

One of the best ways to get Slackware 12 is with Absolute Linux 12.0.5. It has an easy installer and it's fast.

http://www.pcbypaul.com/absolute/

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Zenwalk is another good Slackware clone, that has a good installer. Its basically a pretty version of Slackware.

http://zenwalk.org

IGF