Linux questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by RWBlue, Mar 7, 2005.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I decided Fedora was probably the best Linux for me to learn.

Because:
    It is free. It is Redhat which is the most popular linux in the business world. It has updates. It supports the current hardware.

I installed VMware on a system so I am not on real hardware, but it is close enough. I am installing the default installs (desktop, workstation, server). I expect my system that I will play with the most will be a custom install utilizing most if not all the Desktop install, some Workstation components and some Server components.

Questions for today:
    How do I tell what packages were installed?
    What are the essential packages?

Some of what I consider essential
    Ethereal
    Nmap
    Nessus
    Open office

2. bohr

bohr rm -rf /

You can type in a terminal: system-config-packages
    If not in an X environment try exploring /usr/bin for software installed. Not really sure how rpm's are handled internally.

Not an easy question to answer. Depends on what it's used for for. Is it a server or desktop? In a public environment or not? I would say security is the highest priority so try playing with iptables and IDS software. IPcop and snort are good places to start.

3. RWBlue

Thanks, Sweet graphical interface :)

Assume I will be playing around with the system. I want to be able to do the same things as I do with my Windows environment.
    Play a few simple games
    Do office paperwork. I assume Open office is the way to go (Windows world programs Access, Word, Excel).
    Email
    Personal Firewall (IPTABLES)
    IDS (snort)
    Trouble shooting (Etherral, nmap, nessus)
    Transfer files to and from other environments
    Copy and Burn CDs and DVD
    Play MP3s
    I will not do any serious development, but may end up needing some scripting.

4. bohr

bohr rm -rf /

Graphical firewall: Firestarter
    This is a GUI for iptables.

Cd/Dvd burning: K3B

CD ripping/MP3 encoding: GRIP

Of course GCC is nice for C/C++ coding. GCC is probably already installed. Try typing: gcc at the terminal.

ETA: You may want to try using yum or apt-get to update packages (Kinda like Windows update). If you're using yum you will need the GPG first. Type rpm --import /usr/share/rhn/RPM-GPG-* at a terminal.

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

6. darin2

darin2

I found the Ubuntu Linux a few days ago. It has a full install CD and a live cd which is like Knoppix and runs of the CD drive at boot. If you using VM ware you can set it to boot from an .iso file and it should work pretty easily.

Ubuntu Linux

Darin

7. RWBlue

One OS at a time please.

8. greenlead

greenlead

The easier way to do this is to run "Up2Date" the first time.

After that, though, run "yum -y update" as root in a terminal.

9. RWBlue

I am running up2date throught the gui (red button at the top of the screen).

How long should it take to get totally up2date?

10. David_G17

I've had very, very bad experiences with up2date. the only way i could get it to work was to update the up2date program before using it to update everything else.

if you have all of the default settings set, it is downloading updates from red hat (someone correct me if i'm wrong on this). the red hat servers are often very, very, very slow.

I strongly advise using yum from the command line. all you have to type is "su" then the password for your root account. then type "yum update".

if you edit the /etc/yum.conf file to be exactly like the the one on the link posted above, it will go much faster. maybe half an hour to an hour on DSL.

here's the yum.conf file: http://www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf

if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Linux takes a little getting used to, but it becomes second nature once you become accustomed to it and even starts to make sense.

11. David_G17

rpm -qa should list the rpm's installed.

12. greenlead

greenlead

The easiest way to do this is to:
    1) download the file
    2) open a terminal
    3) go to the location you downloaded it to (ie: "cd Desktop")
    4) become root (su)
    5) move it to the proper location, overwrite the old: "mv yum.conf /etc/yum.conf
    6) lose the root privileges: "exit"
    7) leave the terminal: "exit"

13. RWBlue

The update to anyone else out there who may look at this;

The Up2date function does not work. Yesterday I had a it running most of my work day. There were several times when it complained about a different package not having a good signature. At the end of the day it had checked for dependencies and it was almost finished downloading. When I suspended the VMWARE OS, it killed the UP2date program.

So...
    I went home, saved the current yum.conf as yum.conf.old and picked up the sample yum.conf from fedorafaq.org. I ran the command yum –y update and watched as the system updated its self. It is so painless to do it this way.

Thanks for the help

Now I have to get the VMware tools functioning. The tools looked like they installed, but didn’t. I think the problem is in the VMware-tools-config.

14. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

vmware-config.pl
    set it up as a bridged network
    Get two ethernet cards on your Linux box
    Make one ethernet card your LAN connection
    Use the second ethernet card as an "internal" connection
    Set up the WIN box to point at your internal ethernet card as its default route
    use iptables to masq everything within your internal network

That way, you do not have a WIN box chattering away all the time on your network. The linux box will not forward calls for 135, 137, 139 and will basically ignore the WIN box except for legit (non-MS) network traffic.

Good iptables script:
    http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/index.php
    http://monmotha.mplug.org/~monmotha/firewall/firewall/2.3/rc.firewall-2.3.8-pre9

DanH

15. RWBlue

Thanks for the information, but that will not work for me. My VM world is a Laptop and I want them to appear like normal systems on the network.

My problem is with VMware tools. The install goes well, but the system will not let me configure the tools.

Here is the error message.
    This configuration program is to be executed out of an XFree86 session. Please shut down all instances of XFree86.

I thought that is what I did when I logged in with the terminal mode?

16. bohr

bohr rm -rf /

What do you mean? Is this a Vm thing?

If you do not want X loaded, boot to a runlevel 3. Edit your inittab to boot to level 3.

17. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Are you running VMWare fullscreen? Try it in a window and make sure the VMWare snags the mouse by clicking in the WIN instance.

DanH

18. RWBlue

HerrGlock I think I am doing the opposite of what you are doing. I am running a base of Windows XP with an VM of Linux.

Bihr, I think you are on the right track. I will try this right after I clone the system.

19. RWBlue

Bihr, you were on the right. I got past this error and on to my next error so I am going to start a new thread.

20. bohr

bohr rm -rf /