Linux Gurus - need help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by nutty_one, Apr 7, 2005.

1. nutty_one

nutty_one

Need help configering my internet connection. Running Fedora on a Dell laptop. Has a xircom modem/NIC. I used the Internet Setup Wizard and entered in my account info/phone numbers - but now what? I can't find a dialer program, and just opening Mozilla doesn't autodial or bring up a dialer. I went into the network setup, and tried activating the connection from there, which was a nogo.

The network adapter also doesn't activate, but that's an issue I can deal with for now, but i would like it to be able to dialup to the webbernet.

Suggestions?

2. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

I'm far from a linux guru, but I use something called PPP Dialer (or something like that) within the KDE. If you use Gnome or one of the others, I'm not sure what's available to you.

Joey

3. aspartz

aspartz

In KDE, I believe that the dialer is KPPP.

ARS

4. nutty_one

nutty_one

I searched my machine for KPPP and didn't find it on there. I found wvdial - a command line dialer. I tried it but it didn't work. I checked the conf. and it has the number, user name, and PW to my dialup net.

It won't activate the modem now.

Also I can't get the NIC activated under network settings. One problem down, new problem found.

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Open two xterm windows:

1) become root and type

tail -f /var/log/messages

2) become root and type
    wvdial

I use wvdial and it is not the most user friendly thing on the planet but if you cut and paste the output of the first thing up there (the messages output) and post it here, we can help.

Your computer name won't give anything away, if you are worried about personal information. The password should NOT be in the messages file but if it is, you can delete that but leave the line it's on, just delete the password. Your dialup username and phone number dialing are not necessary to troubleshoot, again delete the information but leave the line it's on.

Do you know the dial up works? Have you called the number and listened for the computer tone or dialed up with another OS?

DanH

6. nutty_one

nutty_one

Dialup works fine under Windows. It's what I'm on right now.

copy/paste isn't an option, since its on a different machine. But I'll try what you suggest later and write everything down then put it here.