Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bamboozled
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to upgrade my firefox browzer from the edition included on my Simply Mepis CD. I have already gone to mozilla.org and downloaded version 1.5.02, but I can't find the file to install it.

Can anyone point me in the right directory, menu etc. to find the right file.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Check your /home/<insert_username> directory. You could try the "find" command.

1. Open a terminal
2. Find where you saved the firefox-1.5.0.2.tar.gz file
3. Change to that directory
4. Type: tar zxvf firefox-1.5.0.2.tar.gz file
5. Type: cd firefox
6. The firefox is already executable. Nothing to compile.
7. Type: ./firefox

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
Mepis uses Debian "deb" files.It may work or it may cause problems.Mepis is changing from the Debian pool to Ubuntu right now.Debian and Ubuntu both have a testing period before placing updated programs in the pool.The Mozilla Firefox file is a tar.gz.I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get it from Mepis or Debian.If you can't I wouldn't try it.

Open a terminal , type

su>press Enter

root password>press Enter

apt-get update>press Enter

apt-get upgrade>press Enter

apt-get dist-upgrade>press Enter

After each apt-get command see which version of Firefox you have.If you can switch off KDE while using commandline this is the safest way.

apt-get update is normally safe,the upgrades can often break the system in Mepis.You may not want to go beyond apt-get update and stop at that.

·
Bamboozled
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, I saved it to a file that I can find. But for the life of me I can't remember how to change the directory in the console.

I'm just getting back into linux, I'm finding that the commands I learned a couple of months ago are fading away

·
Registered
52 Posts
To change to that directory just type:

cd THE_DIRECTORY_WHERE_YOU_SAVED_IT

For example, if you saved it to /home/indigent you would type from a command prompt:

cd /home/indegent

This will place you in that directory. To list the contents of the directory type:

ls -al

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts