Linux Disto

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by wil129, Feb 27, 2007.

1. wil129

wil129

Hi everyone there are so many distos for linux but has anyone tried Ubuntu? Or can someone reccomend a disto I have an old pc that I want to try linux on.

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

How old a PC.what proccessor?How much memory?

For old PC's the version of Ubuntu you should try is Xubuntu.

http://www.xubuntu.org/

I still find all of the Ubuntu based ones a bit slow,especially on older PC's.

You can also try Sam Linux.It's PCLinuxOS for older PC's.It's a bit more complete than Xubuntu straight from the CD too.

http://www.sam-linux.org/

my favorite one for older PC's is not as up to date as those two but it's good on some old PC's.

It's the English version of Litrix from a few years ago.It's based on Slackware 10.0.

The download is a bit slow and it's a zip file.It must be unzipped before making the CD.This requires twice as much space to download and make the CD.

ftp://litrix.codigolivre.org.br/pub/litrix/litrix-EX.iso.zip

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Ubuntu is probably the most popular distro there is, 90% of your problems can be solved by doing a google search, or searching LQ.org. Reason being, Ubuntu's package system makes installing software extremely easy, w/o needing to learn source, etc. Installing from Source(which a distro like Slackware will require), isn't hard, but its hard to learn, and getting stuck in dependency hell frustrates a lot of newbies with Slackware, and they end up moving along usually fairly quickly. However, its a great distro for old hardware. Modems can be tricky under almost any distro, ethernet cards seem to be much easier to configure. So if you're using Dial up, this may be something to consider.

I've used several distros, but the two main ones I've got experience with, is Fedora and Ubuntu, and I definitely prefer Ubuntu. Like DC said, alot depends on exactly how old this PC is, what type of internet connection are you looking to use, etc. My Laptop is fairly old(1ghz, 768mb RAM, 64 dedicated to video, 4x DVD, 20gig hard drive), and Xubuntu works just great, where Windows pretty much crippled it.

Here's some helpful links
    http://distrowatch.org - Info on about every distro there is

http://www.linuxquestions.org - A great forum.

http://www.xubuntu.com

If you end up going with Ubuntu, here's a helpful FAQ...
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Edgy

IGF

4. wil129

wil129

Thank you both for the reply.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

I checked my older PC.The Ubuntu and latest Sam Linux(2007) CD's won't boot on it.The 2006 Sam Linux might and the Xubuntu CD boots on it fine.And Litrix works on it very fast.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Although I figured I'd suffer speed problems on my Laptop with Ubuntu, I did try and install it, and had a pretty similar experience. The CD wouldn't even boot to the desktop. I know the CD was good, because it was the one I used to install Ubuntu to my PC. I'm sure as you know, its really gonna boil down to what hardware he has, etc. Xubuntu actually has my Laptop running quite well, and its certainly manageable, and still has the ease and use of Ubuntu.

I don't know a whole lot about Litrix, other than what you said about it being based on Slackware, which means it should be pretty good on older/slower hardware.

IGF

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

What I find interesting is that Xubuntu uses the same kernel as Ubuntu but it will boot on older PC's where Ubuntu won't even try.And I also checked to make sure the CD's were good.There just isn't a lot of software on the Xubuntu CD so somebody needs to learn how to add sodtware fairly quickly to make useful and enjoyable to newbies.Sam Linux is pretty good at that.I tried the 2007 version in my old PC it was a no go.I don't remember if the 2006 version work in it or not but I know I tried it in something and it ran well and is very complete.

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I find that interesting as well. Another thing that I've found strange/unusual, is on my PC(about 1.5yrs old), it boots the regular Ubuntu Live CD no problem at all. However on a relatives PC that I built about 4mo ago, Ubuntu 6.10 wouldn't boot to the desktop at all. So after some searching, I came across the "Alternate Install" CD. Unlike the "normal" install CD, it is strictly a text based install(although very well done and not hard) and is not a Live CD. Once I used the Alternate Install CD on the problematic PC, it installed fine, and booted w/o any further issues.

Xubuntu is fairly "bare" for an installation, but adding applications from the repositories is super simple. Its about as close "point, click, install" as Linux will likely ever get....

I'm gonna try that Sabayon DVD one of these days because you recommend it so frequently, I've just never gotten around to it...

IGF

10. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

Yes the Ubuntu alternate CD also has more install and bootloader location options.The live Xubuntu CD will boot on more PC's than the Ubuntu CD.Ubuntu 6.10 will have 18 months support from the date it came out.Ubuntu 6.06 has "long term support".I think it's 5 or 7 years.All of my PC's are older.One has a newer DVD drive.With all versions of Linux based on Ubuntu(Xubuntu,Mepis,Mint) they run much slower than some other versions of Linux.Maybe I just notice it because my hardware is so old.I'm getting a new PC this year.I think the new ones are fast enough not to notice the speed difference.

yes it's fairly easy to add sioftware to an Xubuntu hard drive install but for a newbie finding which they like the live CD Xubuntu doesn't include much software.

One of the fastest and trouble free ones I've used is CentOS.It's based on Red Hat Enterprise which is older than Litrix but is really stable and just works.CentOS has a live CD but it's doesn't have an installer.Installing requires 5 CD's.Adding non-open source software isn't as easy as some of the others either.The older kernel's may not be the best choice for wireless use.