close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lines thru pics--developing?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MrsKitty, Sep 13, 2006.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Sorry, this is upside down... I didn't think to flip it before uploading but it don't matter as the lines are my concern.

In the whole roll of film I had developed, there are lines thru every single pic. I laid them out on a table and they match up equally on each pic. I am thinking developing error but I want to make sure?

(Note there are some lines going in every direction in this shot from grass/weeds but the side to side lines are the concern)

I used two different lenses so it can't be the lens.

The lines are perfectly equal on each pic when laid out side by side.

(I know, before you say it!) I used Wally World one hour developing. For convience---so I could see the shots before I forgot "taking" them (biggest advantage of digital is the exif!).

The lines are way more pronounced on prints than on the CD images. If anybody wants to see, I can scan one of the shots.

[​IMG]

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Also, ever single image seems overexposed and I deliberately underexpose shots a lot of the time. Some shots were underexposed on this roll but not a single one of the images is.

3. fellow14

fellow14 The Member

God is punishing you for forsaking the gifts which he has give you (the XT):supergrin:. I got no idea. I would expect that on a digi cam on the fritz but not with the dino cams.

4. noway

noway

Don't know if this will help, but I ran into something similar with a persistent line in the corner of all photos taken on the same camera body regardless of lens used.

It was a piece of lint caught in the camera shutter-curtain corner.

Now the trick to operating the shutter and openning it to lean it was to buy some cheap film from walgreens, remove the lens, setcamera on BULB if you have it if not you will need the long shuter settinglike 30secs or more, but I'm sure you have bulb.

Fire the camera so the shutter get's out of the way and you can then inspect the internals and the film installed from step one will clear expose the intruding debris that's causeing your lines.

fwiw: the above is what I did on a Canon EOS cameras to clean the inside. Btw on most of the newer canon you can't trip the shutter with no film install, not sure about the rebel since it's a different beast.

5. 40SX

40SX

misskitty5077, go ahead and scan a shot or two, maybe I can come up with something unless you figured it out by now. What camera, did you use a lens shade, does it occure on every shot and can you see it on your negatives and between negatives on the seperation or cut lines? It really looks like a processing fault, chemical or roller marks, I can't be sure.

Dennis

6. Litespeed_67

Litespeed_67 LnL operator

To determine where in the process it took place you will be best off to look at the negatives. If they occur on the negatives at equal spacing then you can assume it was either the film developing or something in the shutter mechanism. If they are not equal spacing and actually get spaced tighter or looser as you go down the film then it's likely a light leak when the film was in a roll, which could be camera or developing again.

What camera were you using and what's the general condition of it? One thing to try on your next roll is to leave the lens cap on and take a few pictures. If those pictures have anything in them then you have a light leak.

If you have your equipment for B&W film processing already it would be real easy to do some experimenting at home.

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I couldn't see any lines on the negatives. Not a single one. When they cut the negs they cut them wrong in TWO PLACES! I have two shots that have a good half inch down the side missing where they cut them wrong!!! Instead of the image, there is the clipped portion on one side and the border between the shots on the other!

They told me the system had been down earlier but they were up and running again. Guess maybe not...

Should I just carry them back and demand them to REPRINT and redo the CD? Or just get my money back? If I request my money back, who gets the negatives? Are they mine or theirs?

The CD images are all lighter than the prints themselves but I don't know how they make the CD, ie do they scan the prints to make it or what? That is the thing that puzzled me.

I have a roll of half shot film in the body now. I will shoot a couple of the pics with the lens cap on just to check for light leaks.

I was using an AE-1 with no shades which appears to be in great condition. I inspected the inside for debris and even thinking maybe a spider web could be in there but could find nothing. Some of the shots were taken with the sun to my back. I had to be careful to make sure my shadow wasn't in the pic so it couldn't be flaring.

I haven't gotten the darkroom stuff set up yet. I landed a new *suprise* job that has taken all my free time for the last few weeks, but that is gonna stop. My time off is my time off.

8. Litespeed_67

Litespeed_67 LnL operator

I'm pretty sure it would be difficult to see the anomaly on the negatives without scanning them first. If you don't have this capability you can send one or two to me and I can scan them for you. Hopefully it was the photo place that did it because that would be the simplest fix. If not I'm sure that all of us would like to help out in any way possible to help you resolve it.

And a funny story, the last roll of film I had processed came out with verticle bars in most of the prints. The guy at Walgreens told me that I need to get a new camera and it was surely a shutter problem. He explained it to me while showing me the negatives. Needless to say I was a bit worried that my EOS 1N-RS was truly having problmes. It was a relief to get home and realize the verticle bars were the power poles in the infiled of the track that ended up in almost every picture do to where I was taking pictures from.

9. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Thanks, that gave me a good laugh! :thumbsup: :supergrin: :supergrin:

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I don't have a film scanner but I do have a very nice projector :supergrin:

Poles. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Update:

I returned the pics, cd and negatives which were shredded in front of me :)

They refunded my money and gave me two rolls of film.

They agreed that it was their error.