Limp wrist myth?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Hydraulicman, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

I was out at the shootin' range today and decided to try some "limp wristing" I tired limp grips and let the muzzle flip .. no jams.

I was shooting a glock 26 and an xd45 service.

both with handloads

9mm

115 fmj 6.4 power pistol cci 500 oal 1.135

45 auto
    200 grain round nose flatpoint 5.8 grains 231 winchester large pistol

i was not an extensive test but still. What gives?

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You don't have a limpwrist problem. When you've got more than 19 years as a firearms instructor, I'll be more interested in your opinion that it's a myth.

3. timbob

timbob

refugeepj likes this.
  4. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Try it with WWB and it'll happen.
    I have tried it shooting with my thumb and pointer finger only with 6.5 grains of pp and 115 grain JHP with no luck.

5. timbob

timbob

6. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

I have never had an issue with my Glock 27, but several of my friends have. Not knowing what else it could be, I always tell them they are limp wristing. After they have a problem, I clear the gun and shoot it and it runs fine. Not saying I am better with guns than they are, just that they are doing something not quite right because it will not duplicate the issue with me.

7. beala

beala

My dad's 1911 stovepipes at least once per magazine when I shoot it. He can shoot it no prob. I think I need to do some arm strengthening exercises.

My Glock 19 doesn't ever jam no matter how loosely I hold it. I think there are probably several factors:
    1) The 1911 probably has tighter tolerances and is less forgiving of operator error (ie limp wristing) than my G19.
    2) My dad reloads his own .45's and deliberately uses the lightest bullet and powder load possible. This would make it more likely that limp wristing would cause stovepipes.

Soooooo, yeah I'm pretty sure limp wristing is a real problem.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  8. jjcool

jjcool

the only time my gun has ever jammed was from limp wristing. After giving some general instructions I gave it to a 12 year old. He shot once and it jammed trying to load the next round. I took it from him and cleared it and handed it back. He shot it one more time and it jammed again. I then cleared it and fired out all the remaining rounds and it worked flawlessly. I have to assume since he was younger he was limp wristing it. The gun was G34 btw.

9. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I have never had a problem except on some of my nine mm guns. Maybe the 40 and others have more internal pressures and they are not as affected by limp wristing. But I have indeed seen it happen.

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Usually caused by poor two handed grip, stance or posture. Any hand, wrist, arm, elbow, shoulder or torso movement can cause it. No relationship whatever to shooter strength.

11. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

This.

12. tydefan05

tydefan05

I can't do it "on command" 100% of the time, but when I am showing new shooters how limp wristing impacts aim and performance I can do it at least once per 13 round mag (G21). I can screw up on command, why can I shoot a single ragged hole at 10 yards on command? (Rhetorical :) )

13. skyugo

skyugo

i tried some limp wristing with some moderate reloads the other day with my G19... couldn't get it to jam.. used my oldest crappiest mag and everything.
    i think the odds of a glock jamming with +P defensive ammo are close to zero, assuming you've got enough grip on it to keep it from hitting you in the face.

14. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You can usually identify a "limp wrist shooter" from a distance. Their back is arched backwards, their chin is high, and when they pull the trigger the pistol rises about 12 inches in the air. They look like they are trying to get as far away from the pistol as possible.

15. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

it happened to my wife today shooting my buddies xd 9mm compact. it happens. i put her behind a sig p229 and it started throwing brass w/o a problem. a heavier platform helps her with her limpwristing. shes all of 4'11". even when the xd didnt have a failure to eject, it still wasnt throwing brass like it was when id shoot it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  16. GreenMill

GreenMill

I did not believe in limp wristing until I seen my 12 year old son do it twice with my G23.

17. glocknick

glocknick

i have done it once with 10mm but cant get it to happen with my 26.

18. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Yep, whenever I want to shoot holding the gun sideways with only a thumb and a finger - I don't choose a glock - but that doesn't happen very often.

There is a question mark at the end of the title to the OP. Therefore, I'd infer that he is asking a question to those with more knowledge/experience/ etc., rather than a statement saying it is a myth.

"limp wristing" gets blamed more than it's "fair share".

19. scottybuck

scottybuck

Shot tons of rounds through my G23 without a problem....my brother shows up one day and starts shooting. Me and a couple of friends are putting a scope on a hunting rifle while he's blasting away, and granted he shot great, and his exact words after the first 9 rounds were " it's because I'm holding the gun loose and letting it do the work". After that, 5 rounds out of 10 jammed. I grabbed the gun and had no problem. Told him what he was doing and it did not happen again...

20. NOLA_glock

NOLA_glock Shrug Life

I can tell you it's not a myth, my buddy and I both bought our G17s on the same day. This was my third pistol and his first. We went to a range in Baton Rouge that weekend, and he had several problems(about twice a mag, it was bad), asked me what was up (****, I don't know, dude) and suggested he change mags. He did, and that didn't fix it, and he said something that made me question his grip, I think he was asking me how exactly I grip mine when I shoot. He was basically holding it loosely (for whatever reason) and a proper grip cleared up all his issues right then and there.