Liking my new S&W .45 Shield!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Wurger, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Wurger

Wurger

Bought this a couple of weeks ago and finally got a chance to get to the range. 100% reliability, easy to shoot well, big fat .45 slug for those who like such things. Nice and flat making it easy to carry. Great sights and trigger pull. Looks like a keeper.

Aggressor, mcoe74, Mark2Glock and 7 others like this.
  2. tercel89

tercel89

I sure want one but I just cant get over how the rear sight is used to contain the trigger/firing pin safety assembly. I owned 3 Shields and they worked great but I have gotten to where I only own guns that I can detail strip all the way down easily and not have to use things like roll pin punches and allen wrenches like you need with the Shield.

3. bac1023

bac1023

I shot one when it was first introduced. It seemed good overall.

4. First shot

First shot

I've handled, but never fired one. It "did" seem unusually flat. So it's not just me. Be interesting to see, side by side and end to end, comparisons to the G-36.

5. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Yeah, I think they did a good job with this on. Congrats to the OP.

6. OBG17

OBG17

Congrats on your purchase. I have it and I am very happy with it. Once I shot it I sold my 36 frame that I used to put the 30S slide on. It also allowed me to sell the Shield 9 because they are practically the same size/capacity gun except that the 45 has a bigger pop. I agree with BuckkyP - they sure did a good job with it.

7. zaitcev

zaitcev

I like mine overall, but it had a few small issues. I keep dropping magazines from time to time, shooting from both right _and_ left hand. Thinking about adding a bit of a fence around the mag release with JB Weld. No issues with Glocks and XDs. Trigger is gritty and I link it to some weird erosion at the striker's sear. The lock surface between the barrel hood and ejection port is insubstantial and shows some rounding wear. Not sure if this means anything, and I've seen this on e.g. Walther, but the problem is, on Walther there was still a large flat area remaining, but on Shield 45 there's hardly any. I'm afraid the gun will convert its locking mechanism into Glock 28 with time.

8. Sonu

Sonu

Congrats! It's def. a keeper.

Got one recently, fired 300+ rounds (JHP & FMJ) with no issues!

Love it!!

powernoodle and StarvinMarvin like this.
  9. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

10. 45caldan

45caldan

And I thought I had no need to buy another .45!

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Congratulations on the Shield.

I have the 9, 40 and 45.
    I like all of them.
    I'm a little put out because of the way I dress I can only pocket carry. I'd like to carry any caliber, but they are just a little too large.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aggressor and Mark2Glock like this.
  12. Wurger

Wurger

Did some pocket and belt carry with it so far. Pocket carry is viable but it is more noticeable than my CM9 when sitting in the car. Belt or inside the waistband is where this pistol shines. Nice little compact .45ACP

Aggressor and Mark2Glock like this.
  13. powernoodle

powernoodle

I bought a 45 Shield today as well. The 9mm Shield is an awesome carry size (thin enough to be comfy and conceal, but big enough to feel like a real gun), and the 45 is only fractionally larger. It fits in my Alien Gear OWB holster for the 9mm, but I've ordered a separate one for the 45. Also ordered a Kytexgear mag carry, which are super minimalist, and 150 rounds of 230gr Golden Saber from ammoman. Its good to be Powernoodle.

With the advent of the small polymer 9mm guns, I had pretty much given up on the .45 caliber. But this gun is so easy to conceal, that its easy (and fun) to have 8+1 of fat 45s in the gun and another 7 rounds on the belt.

Start at 9:40.

14. bigviv17

bigviv17

Dam!!! You guys are really making me want one of those.
    Love fat bullets!! It's a sickness. Lol

45caldan likes this.
  15. 45caldan

45caldan

I really like what I see here.

To keep it real (for ME) when I see that the Shield .45 fits nicely in a G26/27 holster, I have to ask myself why wouldn't I want a G26 in that holster with its extra capacity?? :couch:
    I am NOT a Glock fanboy BTW!

16. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

If the (new) Shield .45 is as good as the 9mm continues to be, it will be a definite winner

rock_castle likes this.
  17. DAKA

DAKA

LOVE my Shield 9 mm, especially with the MAGGUTS "spring" conversion 8 + 1 = 10 + 1
    (A bit expensive for a "spring", but it works 100% so far and only adds about 3/8" to the height, I wonder if the spring will work in a 45)

18. doktarZues

doktarZues

This email confirms that your order was successfully received. Your order number is ...

19. zaitcev

zaitcev

I'm not sure whence the 8+1 figure originates. Shield 45 comes with 6 round flat bottom magazines and with 7 round extended magazines. Do you count on Magguts?

20. Sonu

Sonu

The trigger pull on mine went from 6.1. - 6.3 ( out of the box ) to 5.4 - 5.5 after about 450 rounds.. Amazing shooter indeed. I actually prefer it over my PC 9 Shield now!!