close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Like thats hard...."

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by vaulter, Oct 4, 2002.

1. vaulter

vaulter

Anyone get sick of hearing this someone hears that you deer/bear/turkey/etc... hunt and the next thing out of their mouth is "Like thats hard you can go up to my/my fathers/my uncles/my boss's/my neighbors... porch and shoot one from there" and then kind of laughs like you are an idiot :)
    laters

2. badbilly429

badbilly429

i typically get annoyed with these stories. however, 3 yrs ago on the fall turkey hunt in michigan, we were shut out after 4 days, and it was 80 degrees and sunny out, i was loading the trucks, and my dad and his freinds were runnin the grill cookin some food for us to eat b4 we left. just as i was loading my mossy in the truck i look out and see this huge tom standing in the field about 150 yards out. so i uncased the mossy loaded it up, and started stalking this tom, ended up killing this thing with about a 30 yd shot, in a pair of khaki shorts and a t shirt....go figure!

3. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

yes they annoy me, and are bull of BS too. if you start asking more questions you realize they're full of it.

4. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I went deer hunting once, about 15 yrs. ago. Took a pistol; killed a deer, never went back. No deer around when I was maturating, but plenty now. Just never got into it after moving back to the country from the Hotlanter area.

Saw a hunting show on tv where a woman was in a tree stand. She shot a little black bear that was all of 10' away, max, with a scoped rifle. Couldn't believe how excited she was. Must have been a real challenge! :) (I believe they'd baited the bear into a little lean-to)

5. m65swede

m65swede

Mostly depends on your level of experience. An acquaintance is in his upper 50's and has an 8 year old daughter that he wished to introduce to the world of hunting. He decided on a rabbit hunt for her during his regularly scheduled mule deer hunt. The true story follows:

He spent the better part of 2 days searching for those elusive bunnies, looking for a good shot that would give his daughter a good chance for success. They finally got into position and the daughter calmly harvested her first game animal.

Dad decided to spend the next morning in camp with his daughter to rest a little and relax. At mid-morning his daughter whispered "Hey Dad, a deer!" And there was a decent buck starting to cross the clearing that was their campsite. He quickly grabbed his original 1885 HiWall in .45-70 and cleanly dropped the buck.

At which point his daughter said "Gee Dad, deer are much easier to hunt than bunnies" :)

Swede

6. Guest

I know some guys in West Virginia that have shot deer from the back porch of their house.

I have never been that lucky though.

A lot of it has to do with location and timing.

7. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

really depends on location. when i lived in OH i never had to "hunt" deer. you have about as good of a chance of hitting one with your car as you do getting one with a gun or bow. i just took deer for the meat, not so much for the sport.

out here in AZ is a completely different story. much more open land and lower whitetail population. there's a lot of scouting involved and if i ever get a darned tag, i'm sure it will be a heck of a hunt.

the people that get me are the ones that suggest that hunting is unfair. "anyone can kill an animal with a gun." it always makes me chuckle and i just walk away. no sense in arguing with a rock.

8. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

You know, what's funny is that you really CAN shoot a wild turkey in my friend Dave's front yard! lol He lives on the outskirts of hte city I live in, right next to a really big state park. The darned turkeys live in the park and are protected legally. The wander across the road on occasion and "sit" in his front yard. True, if you shot one, you'd go to jail though. :)

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Most people are full of BS most of the time.

But there is sometimes some truth to some of what some people say.

I was headed out rabbit hunting the other day. Walked out my back door, and a bunny was sitting in my yard. I scoped him, but didn't shoot. Walked out farther, and the same thing.

Darn it, I was going out to hunt them farther out by the edge of the woods. You know, watch them scurry from brush, then shoot 'em.

10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Oh, forgot to say...

If you live in the country, then you will see a LOT of animals. The reason why is because if I look out the window 25 times a day, 365 days a year, I'm bound to see deer, turkey, bobcat, coyote, rabit, ducks, geese, etc, once in a while. And when I do, I could always grab a gun, quietly open the door and sneak a shot.

But if I'm going to pick a specific day to go into the woods hunting, it's going to be a whole lot harder to find what I want and get a good shot.

11. 40Cal

40Cal Modurbator

"Like it's hard to walk into a grocery store and buy meat."

12. P-990

P-990 Certified Nutz

My favorite people are the ones who say "Oh, if I ever go deer hunting it would be with a bow and arrow to make it tougher." I hate when people automatically assume you can bring a deer home just by walking into the woods with a rifle. I enjoy seeing the looks on their faces when I tell them, "I've had my hunting license for 3 years now. In three years I've spotted maybe 4-5 deer where I hunt. And haven't had a shot at even ONE!" It's luck and timing mostly in these parts. We don't have as many deer in New Hampshire as people seem to think. Those hunters that bring one home every year are pretty good, and tend to be at the point where they can take multiple days off from their jobs to do it, or so I believe. Anyway, I have a feeling that this will be my year, so stay tuned. Adios all.

13. RJC1811

RJC1811

I don't know about you but when I used to hunt I would always see lots of animals. When I was rabbit hunting I would see deer all over the place. On my deer stand, surrounded by feeding turkeys. Turkey hunting once, it was getting late, heading for the car crashing through some thick brush walk up 15 yrds. from a big buck, just standing there like he knew I couldn't shoot him. If they say "Like that's hard" I don't argue.

And to those that think it is unfair, all you have to do is walk into the woods and shoot a poor defenseless deer, I would offer them the chance to hunt me. For a very sizeable wager. They could use all my gear, employ the same tactics etc. and I am much less suited to survival than a deer. They are faster and nimbler, have better hearing and sense of smell and have lived in that surrounding all their lives. Never had any takers.

14. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

I took this photo from my bedroom window, about 15 minutes ago (8:30am central time). This is one of several deer in my back yard this morning, feeding on acorns. There's a huge red oak tree...one of about 50 on my property... just to the right of this deer. She's about a 135-145lb doe, about 10 yds from the window. But when I go out in the woods to actually shoot one.... they're not around. :)

15. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

My mother always makes it a point to call me up at home after I’ve been out hunting to tell me of all the deer that were in her back yard that morning. I’m getting very tempted to hang a stand from their “dusk-to-dawn” light poll!:)

I had to sit up in the back yard last year while turkey hunting because they where “roosted” only 50-60 yards into the woods… It felt weird, in one direction wild turkeys are trying to get in close to get a look at the sexy hen talking to them & in the other direction my wife is standing in the window washing dishes…