Glock Talk banner

Lightweight scope/mount for AR

1352 1
I recently purchased a Vortex Strike eagle 1-6 scope and Burris PEPR mount for my Colt 6920. While this looked great on paper I was disappointed when I mounted it on my rifle and sent the scope back for a refund. I would have sent the mount back too except I somehow put some small scratches on it and will have to sell it on ebay instead.

The biggest problem I had with the combination was the weight. I did not expect adding a little over 1.5 pounds to a 7 pound rifle to make much difference. But with the scope attached the rifle felt noticeably heavier and less agile. Maybe it is because the scope sits up high and changes the center of gravity. So I am now looking for something lighter.

Right now I am looking at either a Leupold Mark AR 1-4 or Patrol VX-R 1-4 with an illuminated reticule and a Aero Precision mount. Maybe a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 but it is heavier and much more expensive than the Leupold scopes. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

This rifle will never be used in a life or death situation. It is strictly for target shooting, plinking, etc. The range will be 25-200 yards. I would buy a red dot except I have astigmatism and red dots sights look like a blurry mess that gives me headache. Because of my eyesight I want something with an objective that can be focused so I have ruled out an ACOG. I would prefer a simple reticule with an illuminated aiming point and not a lot else. Crosshairs and maybe a non illuminated circle are OK but I found the illuminated doughnut and rangefinding reticule on the Strikeeagle more distracting than useful since I will not be shooting at long distance.

BTW, the Strike eagle seemed to be a good scope for the money but it is a budget scope. As expected the optics were good but not as clear as scopes that cost 2 to 5 times as much. The clarity was pretty good but there was noticeable barrel distortion (more magnification at the center than at the edges). When set at 1x magnification the barrel distortion made using the scope less natural than a good red dot would be. The 1x setting seemed to be truly 1x. I found the reticule kind of busy but that is personal preference so it might be exactly what others are looking for.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
I recently purchased a Vortex Strike eagle 1-6 scope and Burris PEPR mount for my Colt 6920. While this looked great on paper I was disappointed when I mounted it on my rifle and sent the scope back for a refund. I would have sent the mount back too except I somehow put some small scratches on it and will have to sell it on ebay instead.

The biggest problem I had with the combination was the weight. I did not expect adding a little over 1.5 pounds to a 7 pound rifle to make much difference. But with the scope attached the rifle felt noticeably heavier and less agile. Maybe it is because the scope sits up high and changes the center of gravity. So I am now looking for something lighter.

Right now I am looking at either a Leupold Mark AR 1-4 or Patrol VX-R 1-4 with an illuminated reticule and a Aero Precision mount. Maybe a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 but it is heavier and much more expensive than the Leupold scopes. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

This rifle will never be used in a life or death situation. It is strictly for target shooting, plinking, etc. The range will be 25-200 yards. I would buy a red dot except I have astigmatism and red dots sights look like a blurry mess that gives me headache. Because of my eyesight I want something with an objective that can be focused so I have ruled out an ACOG. I would prefer a simple reticule with an illuminated aiming point and not a lot else. Crosshairs and maybe a non illuminated circle are OK but I found the illuminated doughnut and rangefinding reticule on the Strikeeagle more distracting than useful since I will not be shooting at long distance.

BTW, the Strike eagle seemed to be a good scope for the money but it is a budget scope. As expected the optics were good but not as clear as scopes that cost 2 to 5 times as much. The clarity was pretty good but there was noticeable barrel distortion (more magnification at the center than at the edges). When set at 1x magnification the barrel distortion made using the scope less natural than a good red dot would be. The 1x setting seemed to be truly 1x. I found the reticule kind of busy but that is personal preference so it might be exactly what others are looking for.
weaver classic 1-3x20 with aero precision mount
simple, lightweight, good glass
not illuminated though

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.