Glock Talk banner

Lightweight Colt CCO

4336 18
Just made a delivery to a local GS that my company prints for, and saw a new Colt labeled "commander" in the case. Thought it looked like a CCO, so I asked to see it. Sure enough, lightweight CCO. Looked very nice, memory bump beavertail grip safety, nice rich blueing, DW-esq textured grips. I liked it. Anybody else seen these, or am I just behind the times (which feels oddly comfortable lately)?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· NRA Life Member
2,586 Posts
They only made 700 or 800 of them, and most have sold already. I love mine. If you found one and like it, buy it now.
This is where I can't figure Colt out. These things blow out almost instantly everytime DW makes a run of them at almost twice the price of the Colt. You'd think, since Colt is actively making both an Officer's sized gun and Commanders, that it would be relatively easy to make a few thousand of these a year. Easy money.

Of course, I know DWs CCO has lots of features the Colt doesn't but when I ordered my DW, I had been actively looking for the Colt for quite a while. Local shops couldn't find them and I hate doing gunbroker.

· Registered
3,377 Posts
They only made 700 or 800 of them, and most have sold already. I love mine. If you found one and like it, buy it now.
I fondled one at a LGS, and honestly, for that price, I rather save an extra $200 and get a DW CCO. Maybe the one I had handle was a dud, built on Friday afternoon. But here were some of the issues:

• loose frame/slide
• spring in barrel
• loose barrel bushing
• horrible trigger weight

· S.R.D. v
11,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I fondled one at a LGS, and honestly, for that price, I rather save an extra $200 and get a DW CCO. Maybe the one I had handle was a dud, built on Friday afternoon. But here were some of the issues:

• loose frame/slide
• spring in barrel
• loose barrel bushing
Perhaps a friday-syndrom, as the one I handled was the tightest Colt I've pretty much ever touched. I actually didn't dry fire so no idea re: trigger, but the fitment was very nice from what I could see without taking it down. And yes Nickpisp, that's it exactly, including a tag saying "Commander".

· Registered
5,056 Posts

• loose frame/slide
• spring in barrel
• loose barrel bushing
Mine certainly isn't the most tightly fitted of my 1911's, but it is typical of the ones I own in that price range. I agree with you that the Dan Wesson CCO is a fantastic carry pistol. That said, the short trigger, traditional safety, blued finish, and generally classic look was a selling point for me. It looks even better with the ivory grips I bought in Maui this summer. It's something you would expect to see in an article by Cooper, Skelton, or Taffin 20 or 30 years ago.

· Registered
3,377 Posts
Mine certainly isn't the most tightly fitted of my 1911's, but it is typical of the ones I own in that price range. I agree with you that the Dan Wesson CCO is a fantastic carry pistol. That said, the short trigger, traditional safety, blued finish, and generally classic look was a selling point for me. It looks even better with the ivory grips I bought in Maui this summer. It's something you would expect to see in an article by Cooper, Skelton, or Taffin 20 or 30 years ago.

For guns in the $1100 price tag, it should be better built and a loose fitting frame and slide. I'm not expecting Baer tight, but it should be pretty smooth cycle w/o side-to-side, and vertical looseness. That's just my own expectation for a 1911 that I'm going to buy with my hard-earn money.

Heck even the $500 off-shore versions have better fitment than some of the basic Colts that I'd handled. But then again, not everyone has the same preferences and expectations.

And yes, the blueing on the Colt CCO was really nice.

· Registered
1,836 Posts
I picked one up about a month ago and so far I'm quite happy with it. Mine is well put together, nicely finished and quite accurate. I've had no function issues with the 1st 300+ rounds of FMJ, JHP and LRN. My only complaint is that the trigger seems a little heavy and has a bit of pre-travel which, I hope, will improve after a few hundred more rounds. Its real asset if you are looking at a carry weapon is that it is very light compared to all steel commander-size 1911s.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.