Lightening up foods--Splenda, Egg Substitute and Light Butter

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by SouthernGal, Mar 7, 2005.

1. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Tomorrow I'm going to experiment with my usual blueberry muffin recipe. We've got a diabetic in our office & this is her birthday breakfast treat.

I'm going to use egg substitute instead of regular eggs, light butter instead of "real" whole butter and 1/2 Splenda instead of all sugar (it is my understanding that Splenda has to be used 1/2 to 1/2 in a recipe).

Anyone else here used Splenda yet? What were your results like? I'm wondering what these are going to turn out like given that I'm replacing/subbing 3 ingredients.

2. W Turner

W Turner

If you're not going to use real butter, try Smart Balance. It tastes better than real butter to me and the only thing it doesn't do as well as real butter is when I have used it to pan fry things, it seems to have a lower burn point than real butter.

Bull

3. SouthernGal

Hummm, I saw this at Wally World yesterday. I'm gonna have to check into it.

4. reptiman

reptiman Go Ducks

I just used Splenda for the first time this past weekend. Could not tell the difference in taste at all.

5. SouthernGal

Well, I tried these muffins this morning. They really don't taste all that much different. The texture is a little different, but not enough to make them noticable.

Splenda looks like air-whipped sugar.

I'd love to get some sort of idea on how much fat and calories I trimmed by going to the lighter side on this one.

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

It amazes me how light Splenda is. Two cups don't weigh as much as a tsp of sugar.