Glock Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've worked up light loads with my once owned 1911 using a calibrated spring kit. Not having this available, anyone suggest a light load for a Glock 30sf that will cycle reliably with the stock recoil spring? I'm working with Titegroup, Bullseye, and 231. Lead, plated or jacketed. thanks.

· Señor Mombo
2,913 Posts
I've run 150 power factor loads through my G-30 with no issues. I don't know if you consider that "light" or not.

I did a ladder test many years ago with my G-33 using AA#9. I found I could achieve very light loads and still cycle the pistol consistently. I suggest you take one of your listed powders and do the same. Make loads in batches of five rounds, stepping down two tenths grain per batch (with those fast powders you listed). The gun will tell you what it likes.

I suspect the age and condition of the recoil spring(s) will have a significant affect on the results.

Be prepared for significant blow-back and backed-out primers. Not a problem for range use.

· DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,230 Posts
I used 4.3 Bullseye with 200gr. X-Treme bullet 1.160.
With Tightgroup 4.2 gr. 200gr. Black & Blued bullet at 1.245 accurate but with little heavy on the recoil. A little more than what I want it for.
3.5-3.7 gr. Clays with a 200gr. Black and Blue Hi-Tek coated grove less bullet, 1.245. Good accuracy and low recoil. My choice for my G30sf.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
Of the three powders you listed, the only one that might give you feed issues at manufacturer start load levels is W231. Sometimes guy have feed issues with 231 until they get near the upper end of the range.

Of course there are many factors specific to you and your gun that can make a load cycle in one person's gun and fail in another. As others have indicated, how new the springs, your grip, etc. all affect what will work.

I think if you pick your favorite bullet and load it with start load amounts of Bullseye or Titegroup, it will likely cycle no problems. You may want to stick with round nose bullet profiles until you start getting really cocky, then try some LSWC profiles.. ;)

· Registered
2,976 Posts
I always just ran 230 grain rn cast bullets. With 231, the lowest charge that reliably ran was 5.4 grains in my G30.

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question for Doug: Speer reloading manual starting load for a LRN 230gr bullet and 231 is 5.1 grs (760 fps). You had to move up from the min load to cycle consistently? Just found Wolff gun springs having a reduced power 15lb recoil spring. Maybe I'll look that up.

· DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,230 Posts
Question for Doug: Speer reloading manual starting load for a LRN 230gr bullet and 231 is 5.1 grs (760 fps). You had to move up from the min load to cycle consistently? Just found Wolff gun springs having a reduced power 15lb recoil spring. Maybe I'll look that up.
Before I would start changing out springs I would first try shorting my COL.

Reactions: 45Frank

· Registered
2,976 Posts
Yes. My G30 would not run 100% with 5.2 grains W231, which was a practice load for a Wilson CQB. So I bumped it up to 5.4 and that did the trick.

I used to run a powder puff load from a G17, and used a 13 pound recoil spring for that. It recoiled like a 22.

· Registered
1,835 Posts
Similar to the above, my G30 (not SF) would not function reliably with light 230 gr loads than ran fine through various 1911s. For the G30, I had to bump charges up to a little above mid-range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.