Glock Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FNG (obvious from post count); hopefully this isn't a stupid question. Tried GATE SD, but @Mas Ayoob directed me here.

Given the increasing output of LED lights (meaning handheld; WMLs are a bigger horror story), has anyone given any thought as to what to do if the attacker uses one to deny the defender of sight? Any lowlife can get a recommendation on Amazon to inexpensive but extremely bright lights. Curious to know what you think.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
CB,

Great question. I have thought about that, as well as a BG's potential use of a laser pointer to cause temporary blindness, although those are much harder to keep aimed at the eyes of a dodging and weaving head (which would be most people's natural reaction).

I agree with Mas' answer that BG's are less likely to use flashlights than LEOs or GGs. That makes sense given how, generally speaking, bright light is not the BG's friend. Darkness conceals them, their approach, their attack, and their flight afterwards.

Moreover, flashlights are a distance tool. GG's use them to sweep an area they're approaching to identify potential hazards or threats. Whereas the BG uses stealth to identify his would-be victim. The BG then needs to close the distance to preserve the element of surprise for launching his attack. (Which, as we know, is why most self-defense shootings take place at distances of 3 to 5 feet.) At contact distances, neither a flashlight nor laser pointer will be of much use to the BG because (a) either one could be easily batted away by the GG; and (b) they're far less likely to help the BG gain victim compliance as would a knife/baseball bat/handgun any one of which, I'm sure, the BG would rather be holding than a light.

Mas said that if he were lit up by a high-intensity light, he'd assume it's a LEO. I think that's probably a safe bet. But if a GG wanted to be sure, he could quickly flash on/off his own handheld flashlight (aimed not at the eyes but in the general direction of the light) to confirm it's indeed a uniformed officer approaching.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
597 Posts
But if a GG wanted to be sure, he could quickly flash on/off his own handheld flashlight (aimed not at the eyes but in the general direction of the light) to confirm it's indeed a uniformed officer approaching.
Good idea but only likely to work if the incoming light isn't very high intensity. It's possible though because cops tend to get older tech than what is available according to some envious comments from LEOs in training.

Overpowering a wall of high output light requires even higher output or even multiple higher output light sources. I once needed a handheld, weapon light, and headlamp along with taking an offline position just to make a shot on steel "holding" a last gen 1000 lumen surefire fury. That was near 3000 lumens on my end. However, now with my current higher candela tech it would probably be a bit easier to cut past through the barrier, assuming the opposing light source hadn't upgraded too. And forget about not aiming for the face. A wall of high output light shows no face or silhouette to aim for or away from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for my absence, but both phone and service provider royally screwed the pooch. Based on the replies, it appears I'm either overthinking the issue or underthinking it. Both @MAG40 Student and @pgm74 have raised points I hadn't begun to consider when first posing the question. Either way, thanks to all for your input.

·
Millenium #3936
6,643 Posts
Have I thought of it? Not really.

I think these sort of things can easily become over intellectualized. Its really no different than anything else and I will apply the same metric as other events where I perceive danger. Just use common sense

Shield my face, move away, figure out where I CAN look, gather information, give verbal commands to stay back and make darn sure of what is happening before taking any significant self defense actions. Heck, I can always turn and run. I dont have to stay there and figure it out or try and win a contest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts