light and mount choices

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by sigman69, Oct 10, 2010.

1. sigman69

sigman69

Hello, I am looking for a light and mount for my Stag ar15 upper with a MOE handguard, any suggestions. I was leaning to the VTAC with a surefire light...I would like something like that.

Thanks,

2. Facejackets

Facejackets

Is there any particular reason why you want a Surefire?

Take a took at the Fenix lights. If you want a good light for pretty damn decent price, look into the TK11. I carry a TK10 at work. They are the same light, but the TK11 has more of a "spread", the TK10 is more "directional". You can also buy the pressure pad with it and still be under $100. I have dropped mine in the gutter, down a flight of metal stairs, and kicked it by accident and this thing hasn't skipped a beat. I have had it since Febuary, and have changed the batteries once.

The VTAC is a damn nice mount, and it is the same one I have been looking at. I was messing around with an AR with that set up yesterday and it felt VERY solid.

As for mounting on a MOE, the ERGO railed are pretty cheap buy seem to be well built. I'm not sure how it would hold up in a war, but do you really think you're going to war anytime soon with your rifle?

I'll see if I can snap some pics of the VTAC and Light at my buddies store for you.

3. ratf51

ratf51

I have an MOE handguard on my AR. I recently put an Elzetta mount on with a Surefire G2LED. This mount does not require a picatinney rail. The light is slung under the barrel rather than to the side. I quite like this set up. Consider an Elzetta mount.

4. washguy25

washguy25

I have an Elzetta as well with the same Surfire G2 LED Nitrolon... I really like the setup. Whole thing with mount and light came to about a $100 bucks or so. I actually just ordered a MOE handguard, from what I have heard they work well together.

5. zhix

zhix

My next and maybe last light will be a Surefire model 6P LED Defender. I have a Daniel Defense offset mount for use with a vertical grip, but I believe Vltor's version may be less expensive. I think Command Arms makes some kind of rotating plastic mount, but I stay away from most CAA stuff.

6. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Might want to wait and see if they do a Defender version of the new 6PX. The new X models are 200 lumens instead of the old 120 lumens on the 6PL.

7. Steamboat Bill

Steamboat Bill What've I done?

I just received in the mail a few days ago a VTAC-L4 light with VTAC mount. It is a joint light project between Surefire and VTAC and bears both logos. 200 Lumen LED with a Scout Z68 tailcap.

My previous light was 120 Lumens. I took a shot of this L4's 200 Lumen moonbeam to my eyes to experience its power, and my vision was messed up for a good 15 or 20 seconds. The light is a weapon in and of itself, that's for sure.

I don't have a lot of practical time with the light or the mount, yet, but just from fiddling with them I am very happy so far.