close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lifting at night

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Wyo man, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Wyo man

Wyo man

I've been lifting weights most of my life. I typically get up early in the morning to lift. I'm finding it very hard to get motivated to wake up at 4:45 AM to work out before work. I'm busy all day, and that leaves a time frame starting at 7:30 to 8:00 PM to lift weights. I typically hit the sack about 9:30 to 10 PM. I've heard that lifting this late at night boosts your metabolism and makes it hard to go to sleep. This would not be a good thing since I have to wake up fairly early to get to work anyway. Let me know if this is true and if you lift late at night please let me know how it works for you.

2. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I work nights and go the the gym right before I go to bed in the morning.

I get out of work at 3:30am, lift from 5-6am, and am always in bed at 7am.

I eat right before bed and sleep like a log. Zero problems.

I too have read and heard that working out right before bed will keep you from sleeping, but I personally don't have a problem. I think it's easier to sleep after lifting.

3. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Like BCR, I work nights and frequently lift on my way home afterwards. I've never had a problem with working out, eating, and then going to sleep. Even when I lift at other times during the day, I usually eat and then take a nap if I have the chance.

4. DBradD

DBradD

I usually lift at night (both now and years ago when I was very serious about weightlifting) and have never noticed this to be a problem.

DBD

5. Slotback

Slotback Glock 35 Millennium Member

I have never known this to be a problem with weightlifting.

Now, if you go out and run, that might just be another matter.

6. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I have this problem. It's not just lifting with me though. Any exercise after 4 PM makes it hard for me to sleep. I know someone with a similar problem that had some success with ZMA. Let me know if you find something that works please.

Jack

7. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

I say go for it, as long as it doesn't give you trouble with sleeping.

Here's my schedule:

1900 leave work
    1915 arrive home, start cooking dinner
    2000 finish dinner
    2030 arrive at gym (walk to the gym)
    2145 leave gym
    2200 shower
    2230 check e-mail (allows cooldown time from shower)
    2300 get into bed, read
    0030 lights out

The trick is finding a gym that shuts down late. I used to belong to an excellent 24-hour gym here. Then they went out of business. :( Now I belong to a gym that closes at 10pm. I would prefer it closed at 11pm because then I would have to rush through my workout, which is now about 45 mins of weights (including stretching) and 30 mins of cardio.

8. Glock13

Glock13

I HATE MORNING WORKOUTS!!!!!!!!!!!

OKAY...SORRY...JUST HAD TO GET THAT OUT.

9. Wyo man

Wyo man

I've been lifting at night, but typically get done around 8:15 to 8:30. When I go to bed a few hours later my body feels like it is still running fast, but my brain is ready to sleep (stressful job that wears me out during the day). The only night I've had problems sleeping recently was a result of some potential food poisoning from Subway.

So far so good. It seems I can do twice as much lifting in the same time frame at night as I could in the early morning. More efficient workout when I am awake. I haven't tried running or using the eliptical at night. I can still suffer through the mornings doing that.