Lifetime permit is on its way

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by axel, Aug 27, 2007.

1. axel

axel Nov. 11, 1918

My carry permit expires at the end of September so a couple weeks ago I went through the process of getting a lifetime permit. Fingerprinting was more extensive than four years ago and the woman told me that the pink application copy still keeps me legal even after the permit expires next month.:banana: :banana:

I think I'll double check with Hamilton Co. Sheriffs just to be safe but she said the lifetime permits are taking at least ten weeks to process.

2. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Clip and save

IC 35-47-2-6
    Granting or rejecting initial application; renewals
    Sec. 6. (a) Every initial application for any license under this chapter shall be granted or rejected within sixty (60) days after the application is filed.
    (b) The period during which an application for the renewal of an existing license may be filed begins one hundred eighty (180) days before the expiration of the existing license. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically extended until the application for renewal is passed upon.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.190-2006, SEC.4.

3. absrio

absrio

I applied for mine on June 11 and recieved it on July 21 so 40 days for me so its picking up in time.

4. Aphotic

Aphotic Guest

When I got my first carry permit (which expires in the Spring, so I will get a Lifetime Permit then), it only took about a week from fingerprinting to having the card in my wallet!

There are a lot of things I love and hate about Indiana, but the Lifetime Permit is definitely one of the things I love! I look at it this way: At the very least, we'll probably get "grandfathered" in if CCW laws become more restrictive.

I think everyone should get the new permit just on principle!

5. pupcuss27

pupcuss27 CLM

How Much do they cost? ARE YOU STILL SUPPOSE TO TYPE THE APPLICATION FORM ON A TYPEWRITER...

6. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

$125 new
    $100 renewal

St. Joseph County does not require the app to be typed.

7. Scutter01

Scutter01

My lifetime took about 95 days, but this was late last year and they were extremely backed up. Lately, I've been hearing it's around 30-40 days. I talked to one guy that got his in 10 days. Not sure how he managed that.

8. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

His local PD probably didn't sit on it like some we know....

9. Aphotic

Aphotic Guest

So true. The jurisdiction I live in is very friendly towards law-abiding citizens who wish to obtain a CCW. I've heard horror stories about other cities/counties though... :(

10. Scutter01

Scutter01

I was lucky, I guess. I had mine back from local PD in a day or two.

11. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

You're in St. Joseph County right?

12. Rob19

Rob19 Millennium Member

don't get discouraged. It took them from November to April to process my lifetime. My buddy asked his dad if he was going to get a lifetime when he renewed. His dad, who is 87, said "Damn, boy, how much of a lifetime do you think I have left?"...

13. axel

axel Nov. 11, 1918

Hmmm. My original permit expires 9/30 and I applied for the lifetime permit on 8/15. As I read it, my ability to carry expires on 9/30 because I didn't file for the renewal within 30 days. Had I filed after 8/30 then what the woman told me would be true. Am I reading this right?

14. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

I believe it to mean that you have to re-apply within 30 days after expiration. I would also think that from time of expiration until you re-apply your current license would not be valid. However IANAL so I would check with someone who could give you a authoritative answer.

15. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

Heard a good one in Howard County last month:

The woman processing the applications "advised" us that "they" will not be doing the lifetime carry permit much longer. You see "they" had a lifetime hunting license and "they" no longer offer that, so obviously your carry license will be just like this.:upeyes: :rofl:

I tried to be restrained and understanding and informed her that the General Assembly would have to change the statute. That will NOT be happening.

I don't think she believed me.:supergrin:

16. Jerry C

Jerry C Millennium Member

Apparently the application system varies a great deal. I go to the Clark Co. sherriff's office, tell them I need a ltch, they take me back to an office and a pretty young lady fills out the app. I sign it and they print me. They give me a copy of the app., a big brown envelope to mail app. to state police in, I pay them and all I had to do was sign the app. I love simplicity.

17. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Jerry C

You are correct. It varies greatly betweeen PDs and SDs. The law does not spell out in great detail how the local agencies process the paperwork. In Indy we had to type the application, thankfully that is no longer the case. (Just try finding a typewriter).

18. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

While I understand that agencies and PDs/SDs can not memorize all the laws, it really is sad how much really bad information is out there. It would seem that on major issues that these people would be well-informed on the laws. Thank goodness for The Internet and Kirk's little book on Indiana law :)

19. Scutter01

Scutter01

A what? ;)

20. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

[​IMG]

:rofl: :animlol: :rofl: :animlol: