close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lifetime PC user - just picked up first MacBook. DONE WITH PC.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, Dec 12, 2012.

1. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

I've never had the need nor desire to upgrade anything in my Macs. Hell, I could not tell you the specs of my current MacBook as they are not important to me. I've never had a virus or taken a Mac in for service since buying my 1st in 1998. never

2. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

As someone pointed out above: Apple does have some of the best support in the business.

Can you take your Toshiba or Sony PC back to the place you bought it, only to have someone sit down with you for free to explain and help you fix the issue you were having?

I can go to the Apple store in town and do just that.

You guys are just jealous. I'll post another picture of one of their beautifully designed and durable products, just to fuel it:

[​IMG]

:cool:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

3. Harper

Harper

Never thought about it because I don't need to take it to someone else.

4. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I've read Apple has the highest customer satisfaction rate in the business. I'm sure that's a combination of a good product and customer support.

Good news is they are bringing back some of the manufacturing to the US. The question is: are people willing to put their money where their mouth is and buy american even if it costs more?

Rumors have it, the new Mac Pros (desktop) will be built here.

5. Harper

Harper

That's funny considering your knowledge on the subject.

6. robrides85

robrides85

Beautiful, yes. Durable, no. Just googled "replace ipod digitizer" (another part that went out on fiance's iPod, past warranty - mine had problems pre-warranty, so was replaced under warranty).

3.1 million results.

7. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Yes, durable for sure. Compared to flimsy HP or Toshiba cases. Absolutely.

Google results doesn't establish anything.

"Flying pigs" = 3 million results.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Man, and you guys say Linux users are fanboys..lol.

9. Restless28

Restless28

Also, IIRC, Apple's phone support is staffed by Americans who speak intelligible English. From past experiences with Dell, their customer support is staffed by Indians who speak unintelligible English.

10. LL6

LL6

11. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Exxxcellleent! ;)

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

The bold part tells it all. Do you have a free ObamaPhone, too? :supergrin:

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:rofl:

Now that's funny.

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

This is not "free"... You pay for this in the price of a Mac (thus why a Mac can be close to double the price of a similarly spec'd PC). Would the Genius's sit down with you and try to resolve the problem if your machine was not under warranty? I don't know, they might, but if you were out of warranty I'd bet a lot of that conversation is going to be steering you towards a new Mac. My only experience them has been w/ an under warranty Ipod that went belly up.. I honestly can't say enough about them... After waiting about 25min to see a Genius, they looked at it for about 5min, and immediately came out with a new one.

If you want to pay up front for that kind of support, then you have found exactly the product you want (and that's fine). However, don't think for a second it's "free". Apple's stock is not the price that it is because they do things "for free".

IGF

15. dixietoo

dixietoo

For me, the Mac-PC questions boils down to how mechanically minded the purchaser is.
    The guy who changes his own oil or installs his own tile in the kitchen is a PC guy and the guy pays others to do such things for him wants a Mac. I just got a new laptop myself.
    Its a PC, an ASUS. the reason I got this particular model is I can open it up easily and do upgrades. I put a second hard drive in it within a week of buying it, (it has a second drive bay), because I bought the thing for my work as a video producer. Now I have over a terabyte on board and the i7 core has all the power I need to process HD video in the field.
    The average user really doesn't need the guts I have in the ASUS G74SX, unless they want to play the latest games, but some guys and gals will always be in the "modify club" who want their computer to do this or that better and faster.
    The Mac folks I know aren't much for taking their machines apart. They don't need to or want to. That's kinda where the Mac came from. Built to satisfy a market for people who never wanted to learn "computing" which you had to do in the old days on the first "Personal Computers" which is what "PC" stands for.
    I got into computers in the 80's because I wanted to do digital art and play games.
    I learned to open them up and add things to them because, then, you pretty much had to buy the higher performance components and put them in yourself and install the software. Folks did this with Macs as well, but they were mostly professionals doing printwork or music or video, not someone who wanted a word processor that didn't take three months to learn how to use.

16. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I agree with your observations.

I'll add that some of the major objections some Mac fanboys make (viruses, BSODs, etc.) are caused by users lack of knowledge. Viruses, like NDs, can be mostly avoided by practicing safe computing (avoid questionable websites, don't open questionable email, etc.). BSODs happen, but are much more common among those who install software and hardware they don't know about (sorry, but it's true). A good gun analogy is the "bubba gunsmith". 'nuff said.

So yeah, if you want an "appliance computer" a Mac is a good choice, but be aware of what it is and don't try to tell everyone that it's the best choice for them.

17. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Um, no. I maintain and overhaul helicopters, rig turbine engines, perform aircraft sheetmetal repairs & more for a living, remodel my own homes and would never buy anything but a Mac.

18. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I switched 7 years ago. I'm still waiting for the honeymoon to end. How much longer?

Matt - You won't look back. I've got 5 mac notebooks in my house now. After you transition over start looking into some of the shortcuts and workflow enhancements that are built into the OS that Apple doesn't talk about.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

That's because pc users NEED to be able to do that crap. Mac users buy a machine that just works great for years.

20. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Many of my users need to run AutoCAD or Microstation.

ETA (had to leave) - it's apps like these which make Apples impractical. Sure, they can be run on Apples, but doing so requires a lot more savvy than the target "it just works" user is capable of. So if the acumen is required, why not just learn to use a Win machine?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012