close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lifetime PC user - just picked up first MacBook. DONE WITH PC.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, Dec 12, 2012.

1. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I would so have it up and running just to say I did :)

Good stuff. Fire it up and take a photo!

2. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

I remember like 4th or 5th grade, our library had a few of these. There was a waiting list each day to use them. It was the shiat!!

This machine was basically where I learned to type and use a mouse.

[​IMG]

3. syntaxerrorsix

I'll go out on a limb here.

Like all hardware, technology makes it obsolete in a hurry. Just as PC hardware passes with time so does Apple. They are of course made by the same manufacturers so to replace a PC is economical whereas Apple.... not so much.

4. Mochahooligan

Mochahooligan

Its a sickness and I am learning to live with my Mac everyday!!

5. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

When I go to help clean my moms garage this or next month I might just do that.

I hopefully have some disks I can use. Prior to the boxing, I found out the hard way that sticking your disk boxes by the window is not a good idea.

6. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I'm using the MAC computer (not laptop) for the last 4 years. Previously owned 4 PCs over the period of 10 years or so.
    No way - I'm not coming back to PC - I'm not a computer guru, but rather very basic user and just need something that works.
    Mac does it much better than any of the PCs that I owned.
    No problems, no viruses no nothing. Keep on running and all the PCs were doing was to give me constant headaches. Good for You - congratulations!

7. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Everyone has choices.
    You can build a (PC)Hot Rod you can tinker with that'll run circles around anything. It can also explode into a ball of smoking blue screen if you're not careful.

Or, you can buy a (MAC) that has 1 speed.
    Will run till the next ice age? yes!
    However,
    Want to upgrade it - sorry
    Want to make it faster - sorry
    Want to add something - maybe

Also, IMPE, PC's were made for business applications
    MAC's were built and have been cutlivated for graphics, music, art

Why are there still a PC's? I believe because Apple wouldn't license the technology.

8. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

You can also build a computer and install the Apple OS on it (Hackintosh). Plan to try and do that myself later this or next month on my laptop, hopefully (I keep putting it off).

Figure I'll do Windows 8 (queue the haters), whatever the latest Apple OS is, and some Linux distro (probably Peppermint).

9. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

I can also built a moat, a ten-foot-high razor wire fence around my house, landmines, loudspeakers that play Nickelback at 200 decibels 24 hours a day, and hire guards armed with modified Glock carbines that I have made. My enemies will stay away.

Then, I can return to my PC castle where I can install water-cooled towers, worry about rootkits and kernels and such, and sit in a homemade La-Z-Boy that I can poop in while I game.

But...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  10. syntaxerrorsix

It would take me 19 minutes to setup a dual boot 1990 technology computer running XP with Linux.

15 if it was just Linux, and adding OSx would add another 30 minutes or so.

If I used a computer from this decade you'd never have spent as much money as you already did.

11. PrecisionRifleman

PrecisionRifleman

Linux...it does everything your MAC does and far more...on a PC that cost less. Matter of fact MAC OS is based on Unix these days. The only difference is that the MAC is not under the GNU license so you don't have the same level of flexibility that a PC does running a quality Linux distro. Either way you made out well since your no longer running Winbloz.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. syntaxerrorsix

In all honesty, epiphany posts from new Apple users remind me of Jitterbug commercials and there are folks on here that make my head spin with their knowledge.

13. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Granted. But I bet it took you longer than 20 minutes to learn how to do those things.

I don't even know what Linux is. I don't want to know.

I want to buy a computer, get on GlockTalk to tell suckas what's up all day, and not have to worry about the difference between RedHat, Linux, and LemonParty.

Just like someone can be a proud car owner without knowing how to adjust distributor points on a flathead...

14. syntaxerrorsix

You have found your platform sir.

15. sputnik767

sputnik767

My current HTPC was built by me in 2007 and is now almost 6 years old. I built it back then using upper-range components. Since then, I have upgraded the video card slightly to enable uncompressed HD audio throughput (bitstreaming) over HDMI, added a bit more RAM over the years, and most recently installed an SSD alongside the regular, original HD. The computer is always on, and has been for the past 3+ years. It is only restarted in a power outage, windows updates, or if I leave home for an extended period of time. I have never needed to replace any parts due to malfunction. This 6 year old computer is more than sufficient for Netflix, my 1080p Blu Ray rips running at least 10,000 bitrate, playing regular blu rays from the blu ray drive, and outputting 5.1 channels of uncompressed audio to my AVR. In addition, it serves as a DVR for OTA HD signals via an antenna attached to the built-in HDTV tuner. If I wanted to, I could easily attach it to a regular monitor and use it for everything that you can use a current $1,200 macbook pro for, plus more. And consider that I also do own a $1,200 macbook pro, which will not suffice for how I use my HTPC.

A solid computer built with high quality components will not give you much if any trouble. If you buy a throwaway PC at a retail store, you should expect is performance and longevity to correlate with the price you paid.

16. sputnik767

sputnik767

Apple has the best support for their products out of probably any other company. I would not try to argue against that. Having said that, I have never taken my computer to an Apple store because I am capable of fixing whatever goes wrong myself, so even the best warranty is not a selling point for me. I am much more concerned with how much I get for the price I pay.

And my own personal experience with my mac as well as my friend's mac solidified my belief that a mac and a high-end PC will last and perform the same. His computer ran like absolute crap before I got to it. A RAM upgrade helped quite a bit, and wiping and reinstalling Snow Leopard helped even more. All computers will slow down over time, and there is nothing magical about OSX that prevents performance degradation.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  17. Mochahooligan

Mochahooligan

Nestor I agree! I am the same and I got my Mac 27" and it is awesome!

18. gumpmonkey

gumpmonkey

What are you talking about?
    I just upgraded from 60 gig to 500 gig hard drive on my 2007 Macbook this year.- Jp
    (PS- Your video card will outlast three PC laptops)

19. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

welcome to the cult

......and enjoy the comments from the Windoze-sheep. I always do!

20. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

That was then. Look a few pages back and you'll see the new Macbooks are are tad more difficult now.