close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lifetime PC user - just picked up first MacBook. DONE WITH PC.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, Dec 12, 2012.

1. sputnik767

sputnik767

If people say it's a good idea to spend $250 on warranty for you mac, it would seem to imply that the mac is not as reliable as people say.

I personally would not, and did not. Nothing inside the computer, except for the battery and motherboard (naturally) is proprietary. The hard drive and RAM are all off the shelf components. I have personally replaced the HD with an SSD and upgraded the RAM on my MBP using standard components that I bought from newegg. There is no such thing as Mac/Apple RAM or anything else. Apple makes absolutely none of the hardware, with the exception of the motherboard being made specifically for them, just like with any other laptop. If something does go wrong, it will likely be the hard drive, and they are very cheap. It is also very rare for something to go wrong while the computer is under warranty. Remember, no matter who provides the warranty, it is still a money-making operation for the warranty supplier. More likely than not, the $250 to extend the warranty 2 additional years is money down the drain. Absolutely nothing should go wrong with your computer during the span of 3 years, and if something should happen, it will likely still be cheaper to replace on your own.

Having said that, my computer is approaching 2.5 years old. Had I bought Applecare, it would absolutely have been a waste of money. Admittedly I am perfectly capable of fixing computers myself, but even if not, Google has everything you could possibly need to know. And certainly a brief google search is more cost effective than spending $250 only to wait in line for a few hours while an Apple Genius does the exact same thing.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

The Apple haters need to get over themselves. IF someone said they bought a new Ford, would you crap all over their thread and tell them Chevy's are easier to work on, have a higher resale value etc? No. You would say congrats, and move on to the next post.

3. jpa

jpa CLM

My mom sure loves her MacBook I bought her 3 years ago. Her main use computer is still a PC though...next computer will probably be an iMac.

4. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Except for the operating system.

5. Durden

Durden

Conversely, the insecure & "wow!, it turns on and does computer type stuff!" Apple iGadget owners who buy a product need to refrain from being so desirous of positive feedback and confirmation that they didn't waste 4x the money for nothing they feel the compulsion to start a thread about their purchase.

I think I'll go and start a "I bought a Honda generator and I'll never go back to not having a generator" thread now.

6. robrides85

robrides85

lol. A couple grand is some serious overkill for web browsing, photos, and a word processor. Typing this on a MBPro, but fiance's Dad's Mac Mini recently bit the dust (replaced with a year-old iMac), about a year after the family's 7-year old Macbook also bit the dust. Lower your expectations - you'll be happier in the end run.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  7. robrides85

robrides85

8. Durden

Durden

Exactly.

That's why I said earlier in this thread that I'd spring for a MB Pro, for example, if I was doing a ton of graphic intense applications for my business or something.

Apple's laptops and desktops have never been less distinguishable from PCs, which is to be expected given that they use the same Intel chipsets now, except that Apple's OS is demonstrably worse than Windows.

For 95% of the population, a $300 Black Friday or Cyber Monday Acer laptop will do everything they'd ever need to do, and more. Spend $700+ on a Windows laptop, which is still only 38% of what a MB cost, and you'll really be flying.

9. Shinytop

Shinytop

I can buy a high end PC and two guns for the cost of an IMac high end, 27 incher. That's what I call a no brainer.

10. robrides85

robrides85

Yup. Have an '08 MB running Leopard. Can no longer get Chrome updates because I'm not updated to a newer version of OSX. That was a disappointment. Could buy Snow Leopard for $20, but did I mention that my CD/DVD drive no longer works? Add to that that my screen dimmed over time, an iPod Touch that failed at 11 months (phew) and I'm not exactly the most adoring Apple fan.

11. Harper

Harper

That's what I was thinking. I never have problems with viruses.

12. robrides85

robrides85

No, there'll be a new breed that wins. Like the OP says, all he uses his Apple for is web browsing, some pictures, and a little word processing. Something along the lines of a Chromebook will eat Apple's lunch in this category. Market share, that is - someone else takes all the users, Apple takes all the profit.

13. Bulldog160

Bulldog160 Member

We have two iMacs, and a 13" MacBook Pro. Made the switch 4 yrs ago and have never regretted it. We actually just switched our office over too. You can't beat the simplicity and lack of issues. They just work and work well.
    I always laugh at people that talk $$. Yes they do cost a little more but in 18mos you won't be looking to upgrade your outdated slow running PC.
    Enjoy!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. robrides85

robrides85

Oh yeah, forgot that this happened to my Macbook as well as my girl's MBP. My macbook - no problem - the seams just don't fit as well as they did/some of the adhesive between the battery and the plastic cover has separated. Unibody MBP + bulging battery = trackpad (directly above bulging battery that can't push against aluminum bottom) no longer works. That was an expensive battery to replace.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  15. robrides85

robrides85

Not when I had a crappy Ford. Need to cancel out some of their marketing so more people consider Chevy (or Toyota).

16. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

[​IMG]

17. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Yes, but have you considered one of these?

[​IMG]

18. robrides85

robrides85

That's when you know you're an addict! :rofl:

For the few large purchases I've made thus far in life, I translate it into fractions or types of motorcycles that I could've bought instead. Mmm!

19. robrides85

robrides85

Nutty looking vehicle!

Regardless, good luck with Apple - you should have a better experience than me - I seem to associate with a below average set of experiences regarding the brand.

20. Harper

Harper

No kidding. It's kind of a silly argument - arguing about which computer you can buy off the shelf is better. If you really cared about having the most badass computer you would build it yourself. It's like getting heated arguing which is better, a Sentra or an Accord, which probably is used mostly to drive to Trader Joe's and pick kids up from school. There are 1,000+ hp sports cars out there, relax, take it down a notch.