close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lifetime PC user - just picked up first MacBook. DONE WITH PC.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, Dec 12, 2012.

1. kiole

kiole

Guitar pick or plastic pizza cutter to cut the adhesive tape. Pull the panel off disconnect the cable to the display. Then you unscrew the logic board and fans. Flip the logic board over and insert ram. Reassemble and remove the old adhesive tape and replace with new tape. It's not easy but is definitely not impossible. The 27inch has an access panel in he back to replace ram.

2. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Marketing has nothing to do with it.

I don't own a television, so I didn't see their commercials. I'm 32 years old with no friends, so its not about "showing off" for me. I'm very un-hip and I'm glad to be.

My choice to abandon PC came from over a decade of struggling with them, while watching Mac users not having to spend time "debugging," "defragmenting," installing countless virus programs, and replacing their machines every four years.

The biggest "marketing" Apple did to win my confidence is my personal use of my wife's Mac for a couple of years.

Its so obvious I'm amazed it took me this long to realize it.

Home computing doesn't have to be painful, PC guys.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012

3. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

I don't see what the big deal is with "upgradeability."

You don't see people buying work trucks and looking into their "upgradeability," because people know to buy enough truck for the tasks they intend to use it for.

Similarly, buy enough computer from the outset and you won't need to "upgrade."

Its a null point.

4. Restless28

Restless28

Love my iMac, so does everyone in the family. We also love our iPhones and iPods.

I love the simple software. I'll never buy another PC.

Ditto on the schools changing to Mac. Its becoming more popular here.

The hell with Windows and PCs.

5. GAFinch

GAFinch

Congrats! If you ever get to missing Windows, it's extremely easy to install alongside OS X.

6. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

First things first. I hope you are very happy with your new product. Most people are happy when they get a new computer (Apple, Microsoft, and Linux).

Second thing. Load a flavour of linux on your old system. See what you think. You should be able to do this for free.

Third, come back in 1-3 years and tell us if you are still in love with your product. Remember to include cost projections.

BTW, I am not against Apple, but I do live in a world of mostly Windows and am currently typing on Linux.

7. RenoF250

RenoF250

What are you going to do with all of that space? Think of the things I could store if my monitor was 1/2" thinner. :tongueout:

It is neat but at what cost? Certainly makes it less serviceable.

Personally I would rather shove a rabid wolverine in my pants than admit to using an Apple product.

8. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Simplicity is one of the main reasons I picked Mac.

I hate technology. I like to browse the web, and a computer is mandatory for my work, so a laptop in my life is a sort of necessity.

But its because I hate technology that I've abandoned PC. I don't want to look under the hood of my computer and learn about kernels and root directories: I just want it to work.

9. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Some people like to buy the RAM separately to save a few hundred dollars. This is an attempt to prevent that. It's Apples right...just annoying.

Also makes it a pain in the butt to deal with something going bad after the fact. Such as replace the hard drive.

As a whole, does not fully prevent people from getting inside it, but it is a lot harder than just taking a screwdriver and removing a cover to get to the RAM, hard drive and whatever else people decide to do inside it.

10. *ASH*

*ASH* RRRDS

pc user here ,

had a pc since 1996 , i must be lucky , ive never had a blue screen , bad virus , or another other major disaster on pc .
    and ive owned different brands and laptops .

people can like Apple or pc , i still dont see the need to fanboy it up .

i dont like proprietary devices or hardware . and Apple is

would i buy one ? nope but to those who like that sort of thing congrats

11. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I'm all for whatever platform you like the best but if you have struggled with viruses, defragging and whatever "debugging" is your whole life then I hate to break it to you but it's not the platform. It's the user. You will still have to buy a new machine every four years if you want to keep up with technology as well.

12. sputnik767

sputnik767

Sounds like you should have been buying better PCs. This is the exact problem I have with people who make posts like yours. They will spend years buying cheap junk, be it PCs or smartphones, and then will spend the premium on a macbook or iphone and proclaim its superiority. It is a fallacious conclusion at best, and is also completely wrong. I have a macbook pro as well, and it is a nice machine. Having said that, it's nothing special. Of course I also have a home-built 6-core PC with a SATA III SSD as a main drive, overclocked to 4.2 Ghz on water cooling. The only mac that actually can run with it is the Mac Pro. For the record, my PCs crash less than my mac, and my other PC is around 5 years old now, also home-built with minor upgrades over the years. It is my HTPC, mainly netflix and blu ray. I will say this outright, nowadays the software you run is virtually irrelevant. Both Windows 7, and OSX are extremely stable platforms. The only thing that separates them is the hardware. If you buy the junk sold at best buy, you will get the blue screens, slowdowns, etc.

13. RGbiker

RGbiker

Been using Apple OS since 2003. No hassles with upgrades, no crashes and no BLOATWARE to delete.

Like the man said: "Once you go MAC, you never go back."

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

14. sputnik767

sputnik767

Haha, and what exactly do you think the Mac is based on. Here's a hint, the same x86-based, Intel core i5 or i7 CPU that is found in most PCs. In fact, go ahead and install just windows on your mac. The reality is, the only thing that separates a mac and an equally equipped PC is the OS. For the record, my dad still uses my 9 year old Dell laptop. But of course, it cost over $1000 back then.

15. Restless28

Restless28

And this is why Apple will win. I imagine the bulk of Apple haters make a living as PC techs. :whistling:

16. sputnik767

sputnik767

And the bulk of PC techs make a living off of people who like to click those links for free screensavers or games.

17. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Blame anything but the user :faint:

18. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Ha ha, I like that word, "bloatware." Never heard it but a GIS sums it up nicely:

[​IMG]

Bye, PC! :wavey:

19. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Errr...... not even close to correct.

20. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

As if. I'm typing this on a 6 yo white MB that has been shout down maybe 5 or 6x and has had ZERO viruses or other PC maladies.