Life span?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by alphacat, Jul 22, 2007.

1. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Do the new SLR digital cameras have a life span?...

I mean, can you wear them out by taking pictures with them?

2. Eddie C.

Eddie C. CLM

I guess anything can wear out. The digital SLR's are a bit more robust than the point and shoot digital cameras. They should outlast most of your needs and if it ever breaks down way in the future, you'll probably be ready for the new developements that'll be coming along at that time.

I had a Nikon F4 and F5. These cameras were known to go through 50,000 to 100,000 cycles and more all the time. I think film cameras take more of a beating than digital cameras. I'm looking at a digital SLR at this time and may be leaning towards a Nikon D200. That's if I can sell a gun or two off on GunBroker.

3. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Yea, that's what I was thinking, everything wears out sometime.
    50,000 to 100,000 is where I would have placed the wear out line on the digital cameras.

I started out looking around on Through-the-lens Club just to see what others were doing with the digitals and wow, I was so impressed, now I'm thinking about getting myself a SLR Digital and see what I can do with it.

I like the look and feel of the Nikon D80 but I'm still looking around. I like some of the older digitals I've seen on ebay but fear buying one for someone I don't know.

4. Eddie C.

Eddie C. CLM

I use ebay all the time. The secret is to CHECK feedback. Anyone with under 98% I would stay away from. Especially check their recent feedback. Some people do well at first then later on go bad.

I had a fellow bid on a gun of mine last week on GB. He finally got the gun over the reserve. When I checked his feedback his first 8 or 9 were great. Then a day or two before he bids my gun over the reserve, he gets nailed with an 'F' for non-payment.

I blocked him out from future bidding on my items. That night he gets outbid on my gun (Thank God!). The next day he gets his second 'F' for non-payment. Don't mess with anyone who is suspicious. Buyer or Seller.

Check the feedback and the number of sales. If they have over 100 or more and most dealers do, and their ratings are 99% and over, you should be safe enough. It's no guarantee, but you've stacked the odds in your favor.

Good luck!

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Yeah, there are so many shutter actuations they are rated for, at least with the Canons. The pro-sumers are rated much lower than the pro bodies. Also, the shutter can be replaced so it isn't a end-all event when it fails, unless you don't think it worth replacing vs. buying a new body.

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Like others wrote, manufacturers rate cameras for the number of shutter actuations. On higher end models it can vary from 100K to 200K at the top of the range. Shutter replacement might not be cheap - it's about $750 for the Nikon D2X (although it is only a fraction of the original cost).

I am sure compact cameras do not come close to it, although none of mine ever gave up. Other things died on them, but shutters kept on clicking.

7. jolly roger

jolly roger

I personally believe that all digital cameras are basically electronic devices and mini computers which require replacement and upgrade at a pace beyond the old film gear. That, combined with the planned obsolesence of digital gear, keeps me from going completely crazy with DSLRS. Right now I will keep shooting a D50 Nikon and film until Nikon comes out with a full frame DSLR. Canon has one...but I have a heck of a lot of Nikon glass.

8. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

I think you're right. Glass lasts but the body will someday need replacing.

9. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

How do you load film into a D50? :supergrin: :supergrin:

why?

10. Eddie C.

Eddie C. CLM

jolly,
    You can waste a lifetime waiting for technology to reach it's peak. I remember a friend of mine who wasn't going to buy a computer because as soon as you buy one it's obsolete in a month or two.

A month or two?!??:shocked:

It's obsolete as soon as you walk out the door. Things have to keep improving, otherwise every manufacturer would be out of business.

I don't know if my friend ever splurged and bought a computer. It'd be a shame if he didn't. Just like it'd be a shame if you missed out on the wonderful world of digital photography waiting for the marketplace to reach it's apex. It'll never happen. Enjoy yourself.

Eddie;)

11. spober

spober

digital cameras become obsolete long before they ware out.look at the first digital SLR from less than 10 years ago were like 1.2 mp slow as all get out.

12. spober

spober

guess what jolly rog ?thats right thats right.nikon is realeasing the D3 full frame cmos .full size.no more loss of wide angle 1.5 factor.will be out november 2007 allong with the D300 that will replace theD200. both new models have 3 inch screens with 2 real time modes.:banana:

13. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Unfortunately, D3 is marketed in the same segment as Canon 1DMkIII, not 5D. That means professional use, PJ, sports, etc. That also means a price of $5K. :sad:

Other than that, the specs are great.