Life of a Hard Drive

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by AA#5, Mar 17, 2010.

1. AA#5

AA#5

Yesterday, my 1.5 year-old HP computer stopped working. The tech diagnosed a bad hard drive. ($129.00 for the service call) With labor, it costs $350.00 to replace it. With tax, restoring data, etc it's around the same cost as a new computer. What a rip off!

2. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Dude! I'm so sorry! If you had posted here first I could have had you up and running for under $100.00 so could many other computer knowledgeable people here. Makes me think maybe I ought to start repairing computers again.!

3. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Me, in about 30 years of using hard drives, I've never had one fail. (I've retired a bunch of them when they got too small & were replaced by bigger, but I have a junkbox full of old drives that still work, they're just too small...)

4. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

That's why you need to learn how to fix your own PC! It's not as hard as most people think it is, there are a ton of books and web tutorials out there.

Chalk this up as a lesson learned, money burned.

By using a Linux boot CD / DVD you could have ran a diagnostic at home and found this out AND, probably recovered your files as well, that is depending on which sectors are failed.

As a side note, I fix peoples PC's on occasion and while I am doing it I teach them what I am doing. That and I charge a whole hell of a lot less than the shops do, but then again I don't have the overhead they do AND I fix what I want to.

5. fiasconva

fiasconva

I had one fail about 2 months ago. My pc is about 6 yrs old but I've had older ones that didn't fail. Luckily my son fixes these things so I was back up in a couple of days. The hardest part was finding a new one. Nobody, Best Buy, Office Max,etc has them in their stores any more.

6. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I have had a few bite it, but I have (with the exception of one) been able to recover all my critical files in each case. Then again I also run my PC's 24/7/365 with no reboots. So when they aren't being used by me then Genome and SETI applications will run on the idle system. It also allows Linux to perform it's self maintenance tasks.

7. dwhite53

dwhite53

Back-up thy data, frequently. It'll save you a lot of this cost.

New hard drive can cost about $100 for a big one. About an hour to put it in. Need to re-install your operating system.

My wife and I lost one a couple years ago. We do frequent back-ups now.

A very handy tool to keep around is a Linux bootable CD like Ubuntu Linux or Slax. While it won't fix you hard drive it may be able to access the drive so you can get your important files off of it and onto a flash drive or something. My son once had a floppy go bad on him with a big school paper on it. Windows couldn't find squat on it. Linux found it all. We saved it to another floppy and all was well.

All the Best,
    D. White

8. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

The only drive I've had fail was from Dell. I get the feeling the original was a refurb they put in the computer. I also had 2 other refurbs that failed in that machine. I ended up getting a refund and building my own desktop. I've had one bad drive out of 8 I've ordered in the past decade. Good luck with your pc.

9. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

There are real costs in money and time that go into providing repair services. We're really just lucky that new computers cost so little in the first place that we can make that comparison.

Hard drives are notorious for going out, but that is the nature of the beast. You have very thin metal platters spinning at around a hundred times per second with a little head floating a tiny fraction of a hair's breadth above them--and that head is, itself, attached to an arm that moves at incredible speeds back and forth over these platters. Things will go wrong.

10. sviking

sviking

No need to reinstall the operating system if you use something like Acronis True Image 10.0. This is an EXCELLENT backup/recovery application and I've been using it for years. I built my computer (desktop) with two identical 120g drives. I just clone the C: to the D: and have it set up as a task to run weekly. I also back up the entire C: drive to two huge external USB drives. If you "lose everything", all you do is boot from the recovery CD and run the program to restore. It restores EVERYTHING and makes a completely bootable HD. In fact, if my C: drive died today, I wouldn't even need a recovery CD., Just unplug the bad drive and turn on/boot rom the D: (now reassigned as C: ) drive like nothing happened. And, it's fast, too. I have about 90 gig on my main drive and it takes less than an hour to do a complete restore. Many virus scanners take much longer than that IF they can even detect a problem and IF they can even remove it. Acronis True Image formats the drive as it does the recovery. Kind of like "nuking it from orbit". :cool:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  11. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

I've had 3 die in the past year - with LOADS of critical data and programs on them.

When they die now, I usually replace them with RAID1. i.e. 2 hard drives. (if the mobo/pwr supply will handle it and has a RAID controller)

This way, when a drive starts to go, you'll know it and can swap the bad one out before the other one goes.

It's not that hard to set up and it's cheap insurance for drive failures. It's not for everyone but it works for me.

12. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Only hardrive I've ever had fail was an internal from a dell desktop that I dropped on the ground.

Luckily it was a secondary and not the boot drive.

As has been posted, sorry for your luck, even a laptop hardrive can be replaced in a few minutes and a little help from a youtube video if you don't have the know-how.

13. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Raid 0 is what I use... works well enough for me... that and I tend to run 4 - 6 hard drives in my systems with an external for all critical files and photos.

14. sviking

sviking

I've never used a RAID setup, but I've always wondered how viruses are handled. The drives are mirrored, right? If the main drive gets infected, wouldn't all that crap also migrate over to the backup drives? I know this can happen with my solution and that's why I keep several "legacy backups" going back several weeks. I'll always have an uninfected copy and it will not be old at all if my most very recent backup was overwritten with the current drive that might have picked something up.

15. sputnik767

sputnik767

For the record, if you truly have a failed hard drive, restoring data off of it is beyond the capacity of a repair tech. Second, I don't know how big the HD is, that you are replacing, but you can get a 1 TB hard drive from newegg.com for well under $100. Replacement is as simple as taking out the old one and putting in a new one + plus connecting the power and data cables. After that, you just load the operating system restoration cd that came with your computer, and you are good to go.

16. sviking

sviking

Uh, no, you are NOT "good to go" same as before the HD failure. You still have to update drivers (depending on how old it is), copy all your data over, reinstall ALL your applications, reconfigure the OS personal preferences, etc. That takes a LOT of time. Use a cloning program like Acronis True Image, boot from the recovery CD and create an entire bootable EXACT copy of your old hard drive on the new one. NOW you are "good to go". :cool:

17. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

hey, just an FYI

with raid0, if you lose any disk in your array, you'll lose the entire volume of data.

you may want to look into a raid 5 volume if you've got that many drives in the the machine. that way, if a disk dies on you, you'll be able to replace it and recreate the volume without any problems.

18. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

I had one start to go bad after 1800 days of straight running.
    I keep all my data backed up anyway, so I just got a new harddrive.

My Brother in law hooked the drive up for me, because I was having trouble getting the computer converted to SATA from IDE. The kit I bought didn't work right evidently.

He did a fresh install of Windows as well. The drive cost me 30.00.

19. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Yup... which is why I run Linux... no worries on the virus issue. BUT to address your question, a RAID 0 is seen as a single drive. One drive is a mirror of another. So when you run your AV it will see the RAID 0 as a single drive and address the issue on both drives even though you only see one. Does that make sense? :dunno:

20. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

With Linux I have each pair set up as a different partition. Using the OpenSuSE YaST I set each array up independent of the others. But I will look into RAID 5. I am still pretty new to RAID to be honest so I am learning as I go. thanks for the heads up.