Life is too short.. the PEN thread

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MarcoPolo, Feb 22, 2010.

1. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

I'm in a meeting yesterday and see a senior executive, in a great suit, great shoes, beautiful watch break open a very nice leather binder and begin taking notes with... a disposable pen. :dunno:

I know they have their place. I grab them from all my hotel rooms and keep them in the car, leave them around the house for my kids, etc.

But "Life is too short to write with crappy instruments."

Maybe it's that writing is a lost art form. I'm not even talking about formal "Thank You" notes and the like, much less letters... but who actually writes anymore?

That being said, let's hear about your instruments of choice.

My current "carry pens" are a rotation (based on my mood) from:

A couple of Mont Blanc Meisterstuck (rollerball, black) and a classic old Pelikan.

2. c5367

c5367 Esq.

3. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

honestly, a Bic Clic Stic. i don't worry about it getting cootie-fied at work, and it clips easily in the neck of my scrubs. if it gets funkified, it goes in the trash. if i lose it, meh, there's a whole box of them in the drawer. life's too short to worry about pens. now whiskey, on the other hand...

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Cross or Faber Castell 3-in-1.

I do some higher end stuff, but pens ain't one of them.

5. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Only the best!... I change the spring out about every 5K clicks... She'll last forever!:supergrin:

[​IMG]

6. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

a government Skilcraft in blue.

7. BEER

BEER bad example

the nicest pen i've ever owned was a cross. i owned it for exactly 3 hours before the gremlins stole it. after that i decided to just stick with plain bic or pilot brand disposable pens.

same thing with zippos, i have a collection of close to 15 right now but they all sit on a shelf because as soon as i leave the house with one it disappears. i carry cheap disposable lighters.

almost the same thing with watches. i go through watches like most people go through socks, i either break them or damage them to such a degree that they're useless so i stick with cheap timexes.

yes it would be nice to buy and carry nice expensive things to show off to everybody but for me most of that crap is just not practical.

8. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Life is too short to work extra hours to afford a Mont Blanc, when you could have put that money towards a few bottles of Macallan 25. :supergrin:

9. Mungrol

Mungrol Wanabe Like RTN

My cousins, uncles, brother, gave me a chicken from his aunts, nephews sister that thought it was a cornish hen, so is it legitimately edible?

10. StoneDog

StoneDog

I don't use pens. Instead I carry and use a 13 year old Sanford drafting pencil with the knurled barrel. It fits my profession (I'm a computer geek, basically) and is pretty unique because as far as I know they aren't made anymore. If I have to write in ink I'll pull a Pilot Precise v5 rolling ball in extra fine. Cheap with a nice smooth action. works for me.

EDIT: I do have Rotring 600 Series roller ball in "lava" finish. It's the only nice pen I have and it doesn't really compare to Mont Blanc and similar.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  11. Altaris

Altaris

I have about 50 free pens from various vendors in my desk, so my choice is whichever my hand touches first. A pen is a pen....who cares. :dunno:

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I stopped judging people by the pens they used back in, um, actually I guess I never did.

13. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

I'm not talking about pens as a status symbol. (Which is pretty shallow) just seems like a "buy once, cry once" and enjoy quality the entire time principle.

Just odd to see guys who buy excellent quality then settle for writing every day with junk.

I've found that when I buy something quality, I take care of it, don't lose it, and it lasts longer.

Yes, a pen is a pen (and in a rough environment, I wouldn't carry a "good" pen), but that's like saying a HiPoint is a gun (like a Glock or 1911).

I guess it's the same as when I used to buy cheapo sunglasses and break them and never really enjoy them. I bought a good pair 3 years ago and have not only kept them, I've used good quality for the last 3 years.

14. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

My dad gave me a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck a few years ago as a graduation present.

15. Paul7

Paul7

Montblanc Meisterstuck No. 146. I find a fountain pen helps with my bad handwriting. I bought it when I really couldn't afford it. Not that I can, it seems a little silly what they charge for some plastic and gold plating.

16. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

A swing and a miss! ;)

I don't judge people by them, just sems like the same reason we buy quality guns, holsters, belts etc.

17. silentpoet

silentpoet

I rite gud with this her krayon.

18. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

Exactly. Life is too short to worry about stupid stuff like what pen is cool. If it writes, it's good.

19. jlh2600

jlh2600 Game Master

but then again, you could say the same about:
    a gun is a gun
    a knife is a knife
    a flashlight etc. etc. others might not understand the o.c.d. about those as we don't pens.

zebra f-301.

20. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

It seems you're making much ado about.................nothing.

Does it really matter what I write with, as long as it's legible? My life isn't at stake when I write, therefore I don't really care what I write with. The last thing I want to have to do is worry about where my expensive pen is when I'm finished, or when I need it.

If one can read my writing, what other need do I have when writing? Except perhaps a tiny bit of, "Hey, I'm writing with such a really good pen".

How do you seemingly equate writing with a **gasp** common pen and what you see as the lost art of writing, just because one doesn't use "the best sort" of pen?