close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Life is good today...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bamarammin87, Jan 8, 2010.

1. bamarammin87

bamarammin87 h8tr

S&W snubbie, spinner target, snow in bama, and best of all....NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP:cool::supergrin:.

Got to shoot my snubbie at my new spinner target today Using 158 grn swc it was veeery close in elevation at 30 feet. I am hitting to the right often, not sure if it's the gun or me. I normally pull to the left, so it suprised me shooting to the right. Would you think it was me or the gun? Its DAO, but I shoot it like a single action. Meaning my fingers hooked thru, and I pull until this one spot I memorized, where I have a extremely short light trigger squeeze to fire. I would assume it was me. I'm going to shoot from a rest instead of offhand next time to make sure. Is there anything s&w can do if my gun is shooting a good bit to the left or right?
    Here's a pic (cell phone pic, but notice the snow on the ground, in ala-freakin-bama)
    [​IMG]

one more of the gun
    [​IMG]

Have a great day yall!:wavey:

2. bucky_925

bucky_925

Sweet. Enjoy the National Championship. Us tar heel fans know how you feel. :supergrin:

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

The shooting method you mentioned is called "staging the trigger".
    It really helps shoot a double action accurately. I've noticed with lightweight j-frames I also shoot slightly high right. I think this has to do with small grips in a big hand with decent recoil. My theory is that the gun is so light and hard to hold on to that it actually starts to recoil as the bullet is leaving the barrel, causing it to be pointed slightly high right.
    That's just my theory though. No matter what it is you will get used to it and learn to correct it.

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Very nice.
    I do like that gun.
    You did good.:)
    Cool target.
    It was 14 degrees here this morning. (West of Ft Worth)

There's something you might try when you find you are getting a little "wild".

Example,
    Last Saturday one of my young (16) female shooters was getting really wild. Sometimes missing the whole (8.5x11 inch) target at about 8-10 yards, with the Smith J Frame.
    She was tired after shooting a couple hours but she can easily shoot 2-3.5 inches at that distance.
    I took the gun and unknown to her I loaded it with just one round. Then gave it back to her.
    Of course on the first trigger pull, when the gun didn't fire, she could see the gun jerk badly.
    On the second trigger pull the gun was rock steady.
    I told her to continue with the proper sight picture and easy trigger pressure, just like the gun is not loaded.
    The gun fired on the 4th or 5th time and the bullet missed the one inch bullseye by a quarter inch.
    I told her to load one round and spin the chamber before closing it. Do this for a little while and every-time you think you are getting wild.
    Her shooting immediately came back to normal.

I have a couple fixed sight S&W revolvers that shoot off. One, a 2 inch Model 10 that shoots about 3 inches left at 10 yards.
    I've never looked into having it corrected. I just aim 3 inches right.:)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  5. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Beautiful little Smith there.

6. bamarammin87

bamarammin87 h8tr

I think the same thing. I didn't pull right with my j-frame with thick rubber grips, as opposed to these thin wooden grips.

Thanks for the advice m2! You seem to be the local pro at snubbie sharpshootin:wavey: It was 17 degrees when I was shooting. Went inside when I noticed I could barely feel my hands.

7. bamarammin87

bamarammin87 h8tr

Thanks bud:wavey:

8. Berto

Berto woo woo

Just keep working at it, slow and steady with the trigger.

Good looking squeezer, it might look even better with a Tyler t grip.:whistling:

ETA;

If your finger is actually curled around the trigger, as in your first distal joint is over the trigger, you're gonna pull the gun to the right every shot.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  9. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Good looking revolver.:cool:

10. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

Like Berto said, it sounds like you're using too much finger on the trigger. Seems like you're shooting pretty well anyway.

If it is the wheelgun by chance, there's not much you can do to alter the fixed sight Smiths - or at least it's more trouble than it's worth unless it's way off.

That's an absolutely beautiful wheelgun.

11. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Good lookin revolver ROLL TIDE

12. bamarammin87

bamarammin87 h8tr

Thanks guys. I plan on ordering a tyler t-grip for it. I think it'll look pretty nice. It might help having something more to hold onto also. Shooting it I have the trigger on the middle section of my finger, so the tip of my finger touches the frame, for memory, to help myself find the right spot for the SA-like pull. I'm going to get back out there and practice some more too. Still getting used to shooting it.

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Are you reloading for it, or going to reload for it? The 38 is a good, inexpensive round to reload for. A pound can of powder loads about 1,800 rounds.

I'll have to start reloading 38 Special before long. I give the new shooters ammo and I'm seeing the bottom of this 50 cal ammo box of 38.:)

[​IMG]

14. bac1023

bac1023

Looks great!

Congrats :)

15. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

Hey, thats what I call a good day.
    And how bout that Crimson Tide !!!!

16. bamarammin87

bamarammin87 h8tr

Thanks! No m2, I don't reload yet. I'm keeping all my brass tho, and I will start eventually when I can afford the startup. I probly won't save any money....because I will shoot a TON more :rofl:

17. Line Rider

Line Rider

That white stuff in the back ground is snow. We don't have a lot of it here in Alabama. But, the temp has been in the 20's the last three day. bbbrrrrrr

18. bamarammin87

bamarammin87 h8tr

Yeah for real. Too dang cold for my taste. We have even more snow on the ground today. Nothing impressive, but more snow than I have seen up here in ten years. "alabama blizzard of 2010" as it will be referred to in later years:rofl: