close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Life insurance question?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DR. HOUSE, Mar 25, 2010.

1. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

I have always wondered this.

The company asks if you smoke or not.

Lets assume you dont smoke and you get cancer from 2nd hand smoke.

How do they proove that.

Or vice versa, you do smoke but told them you didnt.
    You get lung cancer and die. How do they prove you were a smoker and it wasnt from second hand smoke.

I guess if the person smoked for a long time, it would be pretty evident they were a smoker.

What about for a social smoker though that only smoked lets just say a pack a year?

2. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

The question is intended for current tobacco users. Obviously current users are at higher risks. They wil blood test you, and I think the policy rate is based upon 3 year tobacco free, not sure about that part but thats what I think.

Regards
    HOTHEAD

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010

3. saluki9

saluki9

If you should die while the policy is in force, the insurance company will request blood work on your remains.

If it comes back that you had more than a negligible amount of nicotine in your blood they will re-price your policy and will only pay out the amount of insurance that could have been purchased by your premiums with a smokers policy.

Simply having lung cancer does not mean you were a smoker.

4. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

thanks for the informative answer.

I was just giving an example.

5. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Yep, I've been asked the same thing by some insurance companies. Though to a one, they've only required that a person be tobacco free for 12 months. The blood tests can tell.

If they issue the policy knowing that one was tobacco free at the time, it doesn't matter how one may get cancer....they'll usually pay.

6. wolfman97

wolfman97

Not "usually" -- they will pay. It doesn't amount to an item where they can legally refuse payment -- even if you take up smoking after you get the policy. As a general rule, if life insurance companies are going to deny payment, they can only do it (legally, in most circumstances) in the first two years. Like, for instance, even if you kill yourself, they will pay - as long as you don't do it in the first two years.

7. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

this is getting interesting, keep it comming.

8. gtrcivic

gtrcivic Hokie Glocker

i'm sure the insurance co will ask for an autopsy and all blood work. Trying to get out of paying the policy to your benefactor :)

9. wolfman97

wolfman97

Wrong.

10. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

How does it work if you use other forms of nicotine not tobacco?

I haven't smoked in almost 4 years, but I'll still have a piece of nicorette or a commit lozenge while out having a couple of drinks with friends.

11. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

I agree with this. Im an insurance agent.... but not too involved with life insurance

12. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

By the time that your Ins. co. gets the proper death certificate, you will
    be buried or cremated.

All deaths do not require an autopsy, but if the legal issues surrounding
    your death require one, you might have a drug screen run on your
    remains. Tobacco is not a screen that is run.

It becomes a significant legal issue if the Ins. co. wants to have your
    remains exhumed. They will not do that just to see if nicotine was
    present in your body.

Only in questions of foul play or sound legal issues will they attemp this.
    Again they will not do it for the presence of nicotine in your blood.

They will pay the claim......(rest assured) no pun intended.

13. capnjim01

capnjim01

I am a life insurance agent and i have only had one policy holder die(so far) she was a smoker but died from brain cancer. The policy was less than a year old 51 weeks to be exact the company sent me a questionnaire to fill out and then once they received the paper work paid $250,000.

Most companies consider you a non smoker if you haven't smoked in a year. The longer it's been the better your rate could be.

Some companies offer smoker and non smoker rates. meaning if you don't smoke cigarettes you get a non smoker rate. such as if you chew or dip.

Some companies offer nicotine or non nicotine meaning if you smoke cigarettes, cigars, pipe, chew or dip you get a rate increase. So it pays to shop around if you chew but don't smoke. If you smoke expect about an 80% increase in your premium.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  14. wolfman97

wolfman97

Having been a life agent, I would guess that this would be OK. They are primarily concerned about the smoking.

15. southernshooter

southernshooter

Beneficiary could say "He didn't smoke when he bought the policy/filled out the application, but started smoking later"

16. swannick

swannick

Many companies are now looking at tobacco use....smoke or smokeless, and they will go back as far as 3 years to determine the best rate. Urine tests are whats used to determine if nicotine is present. They use blood tests for other screens. In Pennsylvania if a person dies within the 2 year incontestablity period, the insurance company can and will usually investigate a death depending on circumstances. If the insured didn't lie on the application the claim will be paid. If the person smoked for 20 years, took out a policy and lied about his tobacco use, then died of lung cancer 13 months later, his family would have a problem. If that same person died in an auto accident, the insurance company would probably pay and not investigate further because it was an accident.

17. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

so what your telling us is that if your a smoker and get lung cancer that your going to die from, go kill yourself for your familys sake?

18. wolfman97

wolfman97

Death from suicide is excluded in the first two years - no payment if you do yourself in. After that, you are good to go. (so to speak)

19. swannick

swannick

Not at all. If you are a smoker and told the insurance company and they issue the contract you're covered. If you died of lung cancer within the first 2 years, that doesn't mean they wouldn't pay. But they would certainly be within their rights to determine if you had doctored for lung cancer and didn't admit to it. If the findings were that you weren't aware you had it they would pay. After 2 years it wouldn't matter...they pay.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010