Life in California.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by clancy, Sep 23, 2020.

1. reniram

reniram

Yeah, I understand what you are saying, and sorry if I came off as unnecessarily pedantic or antagonistic. My point (which I was not very good at articulating) was there is a difference between true shall issue where a permit must be issued to any person who meets the age, training and criminal background check requirements and virtual shall issue where an applicant must meet a subjective additional "good cause" and "good moral character" requirement is more than just semantics. Even the most liberal (in a classical sense) sheriff in CA has the ability to deny an applicant for any capricious reason whatsoever even if in practice this rarely occurs. Hope that makes more sense. I'm not ragging on CA or Californians.

HarlDane likes this.
  2. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Sounds like you should send those to the Batesmotel!

Batesmotel likes this.

3. nrajeff

nrajeff

Here in WV effort was put into making it hard to deny normal people's right to carry.

the West Virginia Constitution states: “A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and state, and for lawful hunting and recreational use.”

Any adult non-felon can carry a handgun without needing a permit, and I believe we have a pre-emption law that says no county or city can make a law that is more restrictive than what the state has.

reniram likes this.
  4. HarlDane

HarlDane

We do have pre-emption laws, which makes trips to SF especially gratifying knowing how bad they hate me being able to carry in their city. I do wish we had constitutional carry, but that's simply not going to happen here.

nrajeff, CAcop, pgg00 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

We sold it in the 60s. Seriously we had a motel but it was called the Sierra.

MikeG22 likes this.
  6. nursetim

nursetim

No, not everybody, just the majority, enough to turn the laws, that rule EVERYONE in the state, into tools of oppression. Sorry if you get painted with a broad brush, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and ****s like a duck, and looks like a duck, chances are more likely to be a duck than a duckbill platypus.

Bus007 likes this.
  7. nursetim

nursetim

From everything he says, he doesn’t come off as a commie californian. Now I am a firm believer in “deeds not words” and as this is an only community, very few will ever know for sure.

I remember being wrong about Ivanvic, I was convinced he was deep commie red.

Bus007 likes this.
  8. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

You are absolutely correct that my use of the term "shall issue" is not really "shall issue" and you are correct that California sucks when it comes to our laws regarding the issuance of CCWs and as you put it the Sheriff has the ability to deny for any capricious reason he desires. I am grateful that local LE have the power to issue rather than giving the power to the state to arbitrarily say no one can have a CCW. As HarlDane indicated we have pre-emption law meaning our rural county CCW is valid throughout the State. A couple decades back I heard the (then) San Francisco DA lie about this and claimed CCWs issued to people in other counties were not valid nor legal in SF. What a tool. I always carry when I am SF, but unlike other parts of the state I really don't want to have a conversation with SF LE regarding CCW.

Fortunately during the past 20 years more and more California Sheriffs have become quite liberal in their CCW policies with many (such as mine) having essentially shall issue policies.

So what does that mean?

When I say "essentially shall issue" I mean the the county's policy for "Good cause" is 'self defense' and their policy for "Good moral character" means no ugly criminal record and don't come across like a complete asshat during your interview. During my interview we BSed about guns, Front Sight - as I said earlier it was two gun guys having a casual conversation.

But one day we will have a new Sherriff who will be able to establish whatever policy they want.

The last contested Sherriff election in my county the #1 issue was CCWs with each candidate trying to out do each other with their CCW promises, but really there is so much more to the job. We elected the right man.

Inyo Tim, HarlDane and CAcop like this.
  9. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

Hardly. If I was a Kookifornia lib I’d be happy to stay here. Virtually every candidate, every ballot initiative I’m in favor of, loses. People think if one doesn’t like something, just turn on a dime. It doesn’t work that way. I have familial obligations that no one here knows about.

nrajeff and nursetim like this.
  10. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

So exactly what you are saying to anyone wanting to move to AZ.....we've been here longer and don't want you moving here..."

What state are you from? I find it funny people not from the state asserting some voice of authority for the entire state of who and who can't move there, when they had to come there from elsewhere too. Trust me, we don't like all the libs from every other state moving here for the last 30 years ruining it either.

11. Bus007

Bus007

Nope, leave the California behind, it seems most cant. More than half lean way left. 2 of my neighbors are from the Bay Area and 1 is from Torrance. The guy from Torrance left in the 60s on the Vietnam plan. He still is a competitive shooter. The Bay Area folks and their kids suck. You cant pick your place of birth or where you lived until you are 18. If you choose to stay after that its on you. I was born in Colorado. I graduated high school in Tn.. Ive seen this song and dance before, the Springs had a lot of out of state people move there and it changed. Ironically my home of record for my 24 years of service was San Diego. I only lived there for a year or so before joining to leave. I was a military brat and I was career military, As far as being from an area pick a year. Ive lived in 9 states and 3 other countries. Trust me, we don't like all the libs from every other state moving here for the last 30 years ruining it either. Funny, you are asserting authority for your state.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  12. HarlDane

HarlDane

I've been told to be prepared if I'm ever spotted and that being detained for hours and having to fight to get your gun back is the norm. Could be gun shop hyperbole but I'm certainly not going to try and find out. Luckily it's always sweater weather in the city.

CAcop, Bus007 and Inyo Tim like this.
  13. CAcop

CAcop

Sounds like gunshop hyperbole. There was that guy who got arrested twice by the same department and won two lawsuits against them for AWB confusion so anything is possible.

Inyo Tim and Bus007 like this.
  14. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

We have a gun friendly sheriff in my county, but my concern is the strict shooting qualification here. It's a no bs shoot and the shots are scored carefully. I'm pretty old and getting kind of shaky. Re-qual is coming up next spring and I'm going to have to do a lot of practice to make it.

15. stevebla

stevebla

"The miners came in '49, the whores in '51. And when they got together, they produced the native son."
    California is good for me. Boat launch down a big hill, outdoor shooting 15 miles away. We have four seasons, Spring, Summer, Indian Summer, and Fall.

nrajeff and CAcop like this.
  16. CAcop

CAcop

No kidding. Two winters ago January was wet and I was looking out over the driveway with all the rain and the thought "This would be considered fall in a lot of the country."

Bus007 likes this.
  17. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

If they are all Democrat-based soi girls, then who cares??? Let him get laid and then he can move out and find a real conservative woman to actually make him happy, not weigh him down with their baggage.

18. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

19. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that my original post, which was meant to amuse everyone, has turned into a pissing match.

Batesmotel and Inyo Tim like this.
  20. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

Clancy, I think that 45 is superior to 9mm