Life in California.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by clancy, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Bus007

Bus007

I will, Arizona has changed a lot since I moved here in 1997.

Trebore likes this.
  2. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

Who’s “we”? You and your coffee klatsch?

3. Bus007

Bus007

Wow, eye opening.

Trebore likes this.
  4. Bus007

Bus007

Typical, you’ll see what I mean if and when you leave. You’ve lived in the one state your entire life, you have zero to compare it to.

Trebore likes this.
  5. sombunya

So you have? Well, I guess there’s not much else to say.

Your piousness hurts your credibility.

6. CAcop

CAcop

There is a State of Jefferson movement in the conservative areas of the state. It would be a great state if it happened. Good climate, good recreation, pretty good education system, good politics.

pgg00 and Bus007 like this.
  7. Bus007

Bus007

Typical pompous democrat, your lack of experience destroys your credibility.

Kawabuggy likes this.
  8. Bus007

Bus007

After 50+ days of over 110 degrees this year I’d move there in a New York second.

CAcop likes this.
  9. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Fabulous post.

I have many thoughts aligning with your post but the most searing to me is how many people prostrate themselves financially in order to have a view, live near a beach, live near a ski mountain etc.

A cousin lives hand to mouth in The Vail/Beaver Creek area just to be there. He'd make far more money in a big city but he just can't be bothered to think much about his financial future.

10. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Literally...50+ days over 110? Dang........

Bus007 likes this.
  11. sombunya

Call me a Democrat. Like that’s an insult. Your broad brush assessments of Californians makes you look like you’re groping. Keep it up. I’m sure the other Californians on this board are enjoying it.

12. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

The data may not explain your situation well, because each of us is a data point within the data set as it were, but rest assured you are accounted for in the data so what Trebore posted isn't just compelling it's straight up well researched fact. FWIIW that data set is specially "tuned" for mid-level professionals.

13. Bus007

Bus007

Try decaf or a nap, you’re cranky. I doubt the other Californians are as sensitive as you.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Kawabuggy likes this.
  14. HarlDane

HarlDane

Depends on where you live and how much you make. California taxes are very progressive, if you look at the effective tax rate for median incomes they are in the middle of the pack amongst the states. But once you cross the threshold you really start to get hammered.

CAcop likes this.
  15. HarlDane

HarlDane

GT'ers like to single out California but as your maps show, the problems here are the same as problems everywhere else, a rural/urban divide. Like you I live in an area with shall issue CCW and likeminded conservative people. My kids go to a great little country school where PTA meetings open with prayer, the principle hosts on a patriotic program every year that honors veterans and first responders and the yearly Christmas program includes more than a few religious songs (and I'm a non believer). You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between rural central CA and rural TX.

Not that there isn't plenty of BS coming out of Sacramento, but it's not all what most here want to believe either.

pgg00, CAcop and Bus007 like this.
  16. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

When I used the word 'compelling', I used it as a synonym for "Do I give a ****?" and I don't. I'm certainly not arguing against a different cost of living in various areas. I might get a lot more for my money is SD but it's likely I would have a lot less money to get a lot more from because I'm not sure my skills translate!

Silicon Valley likes the "Work From Home" thing to the point of encouraging their employees to do it and, in some cases, from a long distance. Then they want to turn around and change the pay structure to account for the different standard of living.

I remember when one of our Silicon Valley companies sold out to an East Coast company and they wanted to pay the same, everywhere. Mass exodus! In Silicon Valley, you change jobs by driving in the wrong driveway in the morning.

CAcop likes this.
  17. sombunya

I only get cranky when small minded nitwits make baseless generalizations about me.

18. sombunya

There you go again. You have absolutely no clue where I’ve lived or where I’ve traveled and yet you make statements like the one above. No clue whatsoever.

19. sombunya

In 1997 Kookifornia had a Republican Governor who was a former Republican Senator. Your people had a slim lead in the Assembly and a bigger one in the Senate. I think I’ll blame that on liberal people from other states moving here. Makes about as much sense as your argument.

MikeG22 and CAcop like this.
  20. Bus007

Bus007

Relax, you going to stroke out. You could start an argument with a fence post. You forgot that you all had Reagan. California used to be a great state, its sad to see what it has become. You can blame whoever you like. I know we have had a large influx of Californians and it has changed Arizona, and not for the better. Texas and Idaho are the in the same boat. Anyway, you are a funny little snowflake, have a good night.

Kawabuggy likes this.