GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 160 Posts

·
Use it up, throw it away
8,487 Posts
So you chose to be governed instead of being free, your choice. You could of left decades ago. We broad brush you all because it’s usually true, if it looks like a skunk and smells like a skunk, its a skunk. I have met some semi conservative Californians that have moved here, but most need to go back. Arizona Unfortunately tends to get the SoCal types. Most of my family live in Idaho, they say the ones from the San Jauquin valley are OK, the Bay Area types, not so much.
Who’s “we”? You and your coffee klatsch?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I love/hate this state.

The problem with running away to another state however is that California is just a microcosm of the rest of the country. Once you get out of the urban centers we are pretty conservative.

For example in my county CCWs are effectively shall-issue, churches sponsor shooting events and CCW classes. The last time my county voted for a Democrat at the Federal level was Johnson in the 1960s - before and since it has been all Republicans. Fairly frequently our Sheriff locks horns with either Federal or California bureaucrats and he wins.

When BLM-Antifa said they were going to make trouble in our County the Sheriff brought in the National Guard and increased his Deputy activity; a few folks showed up and voiced their opinions - I may disagree with them but they were genuinely peaceful - so more power to them; but the crowds that like to block roads and trash property failed to show up as promised other than a couple of arrests of would-be-troublemakers who had illegal contraband in their vehicles. It was clear our Sheriff was not going to roll over like we have seen over-and-over in Democrat controlled cities and counties.

Below are two maps that do a pretty good job of showing the disparity between California urban centers and rural California. The problem is that the population density in those urban centers are so high they not only dominate California politics they in large part hold significant sway over National politics.

Here is how Californians voted in the 2016 Presidential Election:

Here is a map showing the CCW issuance in California. If you have a clean record and can come across in a basic conversation as someone other than a complete idiot you can get your CCW throughout most of California. My CCW interview was essentially a casual conversation between a couple of gun guys.
Wow, eye opening.

·
Use it up, throw it away
8,487 Posts
Who’s “we”? You and your coffee klatsch?[/QUOT
So you chose to be governed instead of being free, your choice. You could of left decades ago. We broad brush you all because it’s usually true, if it looks like a skunk and smells like a skunk, its a skunk. I have met some semi conservative Californians that have moved here, but most need to go back. Arizona Unfortunately tends to get the SoCal types. Most of my family
live in Idaho, they say the ones from the San Jauquin valley are OK, the Bay Area types, not so much.
So you have? Well, I guess there’s not much else to say.

Your piousness hurts your credibility.

·
Registered
30,835 Posts
Wow, eye opening.
There is a State of Jefferson movement in the conservative areas of the state. It would be a great state if it happened. Good climate, good recreation, pretty good education system, good politics.

Reactions: pgg00 and Bus007

·
Registered
787 Posts
There is a State of Jefferson movement in the conservative areas of the state. It would be a great state if it happened. Good climate, good recreation, pretty good education system, good politics.
After 50+ days of over 110 degrees this year I’d move there in a New York second.

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
"Boots on the ground experience" can and does note the discrepancies portended in the material presented on the subjects of Economic and Cultural Geography. The literature for those subjects can be traced back to academia, usually researched for a thesis or promotional book. People live where the 'have to' or move to where they 'want to'. There is no "ideal" location, just the fantasy of their perception or in laymans terms - "a figment of their imagination".
Fabulous post.

I have many thoughts aligning with your post but the most searing to me is how many people prostrate themselves financially in order to have a view, live near a beach, live near a ski mountain etc.

A cousin lives hand to mouth in The Vail/Beaver Creek area just to be there. He'd make far more money in a big city but he just can't be bothered to think much about his financial future.

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
Interesting, but not compelling. Take the example:

I don't have snow, it rarely rains, the climate is moderate year round and I make a buttload more money in California than I could ever make in South Dakota. I spill more than $13.38..
The data may not explain your situation well, because each of us is a data point within the data set as it were, but rest assured you are accounted for in the data so what Trebore posted isn't just compelling it's straight up well researched fact. FWIIW that data set is specially "tuned" for mid-level professionals.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Call me a Democrat. Like that’s an insult. Your broad brush assessments of Californians makes you look like you’re groping. Keep it up. I’m sure the other Californians on this board are enjoying it.
Try decaf or a nap, you’re cranky. I doubt the other Californians are as sensitive as you.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Does the higher cost of living and much higher taxes erode the higher wages?
Depends on where you live and how much you make. California taxes are very progressive, if you look at the effective tax rate for median incomes they are in the middle of the pack amongst the states. But once you cross the threshold you really start to get hammered.

Reactions: CAcop

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
I love/hate this state.

The problem with running away to another state however is that California is just a microcosm of the rest of the country. Once you get out of the urban centers we are pretty conservative.

For example in my county CCWs are effectively shall-issue, churches sponsor shooting events and CCW classes. The last time my county voted for a Democrat at the Federal level was Johnson in the 1960s - before and since it has been all Republicans. Fairly frequently our Sheriff locks horns with either Federal or California bureaucrats and he wins.

When BLM-Antifa said they were going to make trouble in our County the Sheriff brought in the National Guard and increased his Deputy activity; a few folks showed up and voiced their opinions - I may disagree with them but they were genuinely peaceful - so more power to them; but the crowds that like to block roads and trash property failed to show up as promised other than a couple of arrests of would-be-troublemakers who had illegal contraband in their vehicles. It was clear our Sheriff was not going to roll over like we have seen over-and-over in Democrat controlled cities and counties.

Below are two maps that do a pretty good job of showing the disparity between California urban centers and rural California. The problem is that the population density in those urban centers are so high they not only dominate California politics they in large part hold significant sway over National politics.

Here is how Californians voted in the 2016 Presidential Election:

Here is a map showing the CCW issuance in California. If you have a clean record and can come across in a basic conversation as someone other than a complete idiot you can get your CCW throughout most of California. My CCW interview was essentially a casual conversation between a couple of gun guys.
GT'ers like to single out California but as your maps show, the problems here are the same as problems everywhere else, a rural/urban divide. Like you I live in an area with shall issue CCW and likeminded conservative people. My kids go to a great little country school where PTA meetings open with prayer, the principle hosts on a patriotic program every year that honors veterans and first responders and the yearly Christmas program includes more than a few religious songs (and I'm a non believer). You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between rural central CA and rural TX.

Not that there isn't plenty of BS coming out of Sacramento, but it's not all what most here want to believe either.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
The data may not explain your situation well, because each of us is a data point within the data set as it were, but rest assured you are accounted for in the data so what Trebore posted isn't just compelling it's straight up well researched fact. FWIIW that data set is specially "tuned" for mid-level professionals.
When I used the word 'compelling', I used it as a synonym for "Do I give a ****?" and I don't. I'm certainly not arguing against a different cost of living in various areas. I might get a lot more for my money is SD but it's likely I would have a lot less money to get a lot more from because I'm not sure my skills translate!

Silicon Valley likes the "Work From Home" thing to the point of encouraging their employees to do it and, in some cases, from a long distance. Then they want to turn around and change the pay structure to account for the different standard of living.

I remember when one of our Silicon Valley companies sold out to an East Coast company and they wanted to pay the same, everywhere. Mass exodus! In Silicon Valley, you change jobs by driving in the wrong driveway in the morning.

Reactions: CAcop

·
Use it up, throw it away
8,487 Posts
Typical, you’ll see what I mean if and when you leave. You’ve lived in the one state your entire life, you have zero to compare it to.
There you go again. You have absolutely no clue where I’ve lived or where I’ve traveled and yet you make statements like the one above. No clue whatsoever.

·
Use it up, throw it away
8,487 Posts
I will, Arizona has changed a lot since I moved here in 1997.
In 1997 Kookifornia had a Republican Governor who was a former Republican Senator. Your people had a slim lead in the Assembly and a bigger one in the Senate. I think I’ll blame that on liberal people from other states moving here. Makes about as much sense as your argument.

·
Registered
787 Posts
In 1997 Kookifornia had a Republican Governor who was a former Republican Senator. Your people had a slim lead in the Assembly and a bigger one in the Senate. I think I’ll blame that on liberal people from other states moving here. Makes about as much sense as your argument.
Relax, you going to stroke out. You could start an argument with a fence post. You forgot that you all had Reagan. California used to be a great state, its sad to see what it has become. You can blame whoever you like. I know we have had a large influx of Californians and it has changed Arizona, and not for the better. Texas and Idaho are the in the same boat. Anyway, you are a funny little snowflake, have a good night.

81 - 100 of 160 Posts