Life in California.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by clancy, Sep 23, 2020.

1. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

People around the country point their finger at Kookifornia. I have friends in Oregon and watch what goes on there vis-a-vis Congressmen, Senators, the Mayor of Portland.

I ask again, how do like it there?

2. Trebore

Trebore

"Boots on the ground experience" can and does note the discrepancies portended in the material presented on the subjects of Economic and Cultural Geography. The literature for those subjects can be traced back to academia, usually researched for a thesis or promotional book. People live where the 'have to' or move to where they 'want to'. There is no "ideal" location, just the fantasy of their perception or in laymans terms - "a figment of their imagination".

.264 magnum likes this.

3. Bradley T

Bradley T

How can anything get so out of control? I have a theory.....

Kawabuggy likes this.
  4. lopak

lopak

An object lesson on the national stage with the push to eliminate the Electoral College and cherry-picked addition of DC and Puerto Rico as states.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    CAcop and pgg00 like this.
  5. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

As someone who had spent his entire life in Los Angeles, I'm done. Got a new house built in the DFW area and I'm moving as soon as the new house is complete.

6. Bus007

Bus007

I did, you could move to a free state, but other things are more important to you. I prefer my freedom to the higher wages and better weather. I don’t need permission to carry a firearm, i can carry any knife i like etc. I have seen people in Frys with an AR15 on there back. You have the means to leave but don’t, your choice. I lived there for 2 years as an adult, i joined the USAF to leave. I left in 1987 because i hated it. When we considered going to Texas 10 years ago we visited Georgetown, more than a few asked where we are from, we said Arizona, they would say welcome as long as your not from California. I don’t know where you live or your age but you stayed. Like it or not, you are a product of your environment.

Kawabuggy likes this.
  7. pgg00

pgg00

Exactly. Just imagine how much different the national landscape would be if states used the electoral college method

Bus007 and CAcop like this.
  8. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I love/hate this state.

The problem with running away to another state however is that California is just a microcosm of the rest of the country. Once you get out of the urban centers we are pretty conservative.

For example in my county CCWs are effectively shall-issue, churches sponsor shooting events and CCW classes. The last time my county voted for a Democrat at the Federal level was Johnson in the 1960s - before and since it has been all Republicans. Fairly frequently our Sheriff locks horns with either Federal or California bureaucrats and he wins.

When BLM-Antifa said they were going to make trouble in our County the Sheriff brought in the National Guard and increased his Deputy activity; a few folks showed up and voiced their opinions - I may disagree with them but they were genuinely peaceful - so more power to them; but the crowds that like to block roads and trash property failed to show up as promised other than a couple of arrests of would-be-troublemakers who had illegal contraband in their vehicles. It was clear our Sheriff was not going to roll over like we have seen over-and-over in Democrat controlled cities and counties.

Below are two maps that do a pretty good job of showing the disparity between California urban centers and rural California. The problem is that the population density in those urban centers are so high they not only dominate California politics they in large part hold significant sway over National politics.

Here is how Californians voted in the 2016 Presidential Election:
    [​IMG]

Here is a map showing the CCW issuance in California. If you have a clean record and can come across in a basic conversation as someone other than a complete idiot you can get your CCW throughout most of California. My CCW interview was essentially a casual conversation between a couple of gun guys.
    [​IMG]

HarlDane, Bus007, pgg00 and 3 others like this.
  9. sombunya

I was born here. I have 6 more payments and my house is paid off. This state hasn’t always been like this. I’m out of here inside of 4 years. I am not a “product of my environment”. You act like I support the crap going on here.

I’m not moving to another state to change it or make friends. I’m moving so the freedom eating termites here don’t confiscate my retirement nest egg. People that broad brush other people from certain states are bigots and they can kiss my ass. Is it fair if I ask you, “ How much did you donate to Mark Kelly’s campaign?” Arizona has its share of jackasses too. California just happens to be more influential.

There are good, pro-American Conservatives in San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and every other city and state in the union. When someone says “we don’t want people from - - - coming here, they reveal themselves to be narrow minded bigots.

clancy and Inyo Tim like this.
  10. sombunya

Arizona don’t want no cali man around? Good. How much are you contributing to Mark Kelly’s campaign?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  11. Squid1

Squid1

THAT'S WHAT I DID! Earned $$$ in CA then moved family, self and corporation to AZ. Only wish I'd moved earlier (but the $$$ was good.). Plus a remarkable number of other FORMER Californians living here in "Free AZ" - which I strongly recommend as a great state in which to live. Best wishes!

sombunya likes this.
  12. Squid1

Squid1

HEY! I'm damn tired of AZ bigots deciding I'm a liberal just because I moved from CA. Conservative, independent, Trump supporting, pro-gun, etc etc. - not that it's any of your business.

lazarus66 and sombunya like this.
  13. sombunya

Some people wear blinders.

14. sombunya

My brother moved to Oro Valley, near Tucson. I’ve been through AZ plenty. SE Arizona is green year round. If I was going to live there it would be in the south east area or up near Williams.

15. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

I’ve bailed from kommiefornia for a long time now, spending a lot of time in my New Mexico getaway as possible. Alas it’s tough to convince the wife to bail LA. She finally consented as long as we go to another metropolitan that is close to I-40 (for our shipping business) and has a large oriental community. So Dallas it is.
    If I were to have my druthers, I’d work from the boondocks of New Mexico. Maybe after the kids are grown and off to college, I can convince the boss to ditch DFW for boonies, New Mexico.

16. lazarus66

lazarus66

TI sent us to Ridgecrest in 1967. It was a pretty cool place to be a kid.

17. Bish1309

Bish1309

As a rule I have similar battery back ups on all my electronic devices. I have two separate internet services in my home from two separate internet providers. Each router and cable modem are on their own battery backups and every computer and TV screen is also on their own BattBkup. The reason for two internet providers is one (Mediacom) is always disconnecting and since I can work from home I needed something more reliable. My wife also does some business from home but her email is tied to Mediacom which we've had for 20 years so she doesn't want to switch email addresses at this point.

These are usually home type battery back ups and very affordable. Lack of reliable power also dictated we needed a home generator. Why? Because this....

We had a massive storm blow through here about a month ago. No power to most of the town for up to 6 days. We had no power for 4. I have two sump pumps that run all the time. Lucky for us, there wasn't much rain with that storm, just mostly high winds that destroyed power lines and tore off roofs. Derecho, I believe it is called. My sump pumps got close to being full but we were saved by getting electricity when we did.

Truthfully it was relaxing right after the storms subsided and we realized the sump pump water levels weren't increasing.

With no electricity there was no internet, no propaganda TV, no cars racing up and down the streets at all hours. I still went to work as that part of town still had power. When I'd come home we'd fire up the grill cook and eat outside with all of nature and its serenity to enjoy the night.

Also in our favor most nights were bearable so having windows open was enough to keep from sweltering.

MinervaDoe likes this.
  18. Bus007

Bus007

Zero

Trebore likes this.
  19. sombunya

If he wins, blame the “Cali” transplants. It’s easier that way.

Bus007 likes this.
  20. Bus007

Bus007

So you chose to be governed instead of being free, your choice. You could of left decades ago. We broad brush you all because it’s usually true, if it looks like a skunk and smells like a skunk, its a skunk. I have met some semi conservative Californians that have moved here, but most need to go back. Arizona Unfortunately tends to get the SoCal types. Most of my family live in Idaho, they say the ones from the San Jauquin valley are OK, the Bay Area types, not so much.

Trebore likes this.