Life in California.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by clancy, Sep 23, 2020.

1. nursetim

nursetim

In the year that I worked with the homeless, seeing 10-16 a day, 5 days a week, I ran into 2-3 hard luck, circumstances actually screwed them over stories. One that let alcohol get the better of them, but that one had a good ending that the individual worked hard to overcome and DID. All the rest were drugs mostly. There were also some serious mental illness, but not the majority. The majority were drugs and alcohol.

Bus007, Batesmotel and bruscifer like this.
  2. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

They can indeed. Sales tax on a new car, for example. I like to think if one lives smart, that person can get by for less. I was born and raised here. I'm also fortunate to have a pretty good job. Same with the wife.

3. sombunya

Stupid thing to say to someone you know nothing about. You just may be narrow minded enough to believe that everyone in California is a sandal-clad, pot-smoking Leftist. I have a suggestion; why don't you move here and help change it? Try West Hollywood.

Squid1 likes this.
  4. sombunya

I'll tell you what pal, I don't give a flying fck if a state wants me or not. I'll move to wherever I please. I will say this, my buddy lives just outside Grants Pass on 11 acres. A beautiful home they've spent a lot of money on improving. They're probably going to move because of all the freakishness Oregon breeds.

How do you like it there?

CAcop and pgg00 like this.
  5. sombunya

I wouldn't put anything past the Bolsheviks that have taken over this state. I'm not worried about that though. I have a good financial advisor and my tax man is an Enrolled Agent. I get pretty good advice from both of them.

6. B C

B C

In LA

EhwjI4HXgAEKqUC.jpg

nursetim, JDubbs316, Lockback and 2 others like this.
  7. sombunya

I've said it more than 100 times; Left Wing liberalism is a mental disorder. San Francisco values has taken over the state.

8. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

Ah, yes. Just what we need. Another obnoxious, obtuse, narcissistic kommiefornian who thinks he's "special."

Come to Oklahoma. There's plenty of room. BTW, Oklahoma has moved. It is 55 miles due east of Novia Scotia. Come on up. The water's fine.

Trebore, glock collector and Bus007 like this.
  9. sombunya

I see you're also a comedian. Don't quit your day job. Your lame generalizations say a lot about you. But then there are all kinds here in these forums.

I been through Oklahoma. Many fine people there I'm sure but it's definitely not for me.

CAcop likes this.
  10. Bus007

Bus007

Those of us that live in free states know what the majority of Californians bring with them, their crappy beliefs, attitudes and voting records. You seem like the perfect cali type, stay there and don’t ruin another state.

Kawabuggy, Trebore and OttoLoader like this.
  11. sombunya

What exactly have I said that makes you think I'm a typical California liberal? I'll wait for an answer to this one.

Edit: I've spent a lot of time in Arizona. It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't live there on a bet.

MikeG22 and CAcop like this.
  12. Bus007

Bus007

Good, Arizona don’t want no cali man around anyhow. You’ve made your choice as an adult to stay, that’s says all i need to know about you.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Kawabuggy and Trebore like this.
  13. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

After your other post I watched some of his videos and I see he was suspended for a week.

Good 'ole YouTube censorship...and he made a video on it.

Trebore and clancy like this.
  14. DAKA

DAKA

Not EVERYONE who leaves NY for FL is a MORON (Democrat) :waving::waving::waving:

45caldan likes this.
  15. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Just make sure you vote Conservative.

People with California plates recently moved in near me, a boring low crime area abutting a nature preserve where you can leave your doors unlocked.

The first thing they did was put out a "Hate Has No Home Here" yard sign and lately during election season every radical political and politician sign except for Black Lives Matter (I'm waiting for that).

I wonder why for what possible reason they wanted to live near me when there is a large exciting city 100% Democrat ruled only a few miles away.

16. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

You're wrong. I know exactly what kind of person you are. And you confirmed it in your next post.

You kommiefornians are all alike. Rude. Obnoxious. Narcissistic. Petulant. Selfish.

You said it yourself. You don't care about other's feelings. You demonstrate it every time you move to a civilized part of the country and immediately "transform" it into the dump you created at home.

And you wonder why we don't want you?

That's pretty funny.

Kawabuggy, Trebore and Bus007 like this.
  17. sombunya

“We don’t want you”? You and who else?

“Transform it into a dump”? You haven’t seen my home.

The only people I act petulant toward are fools that make generalizations as if they are fact. Does everyone in San Fran favor bums defecating on the sidewalks? Does everyone in Portland support anarchy? Was the Seattle City Council voted in by 100% of the residents there? Does everyone in Minneapolis support defunding police?

I’m hostile toward people who are hostile toward me. The other people on this board who live in California probably see you for the narrow-minded bigot you are. In fact, I’m sure they do.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  18. sombunya

I was a member in good standing of the John Birch Society for years. I know all about voting Conservative and I know what kind of people moved in near you. That’s a shame.

Flying-Dutchman likes this.
  19. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Very good catch! Maybe 15 years ago I posted similar ideas after a poster, who I like and is still active so I'll let him be, was bragging about how much higher nominal incomes were in NY than other places. All the while and this has been the case for many years, at median income NYers are the poorest people in the country in real terms.

FWIIW - that's almost certainly C2ER (Council for Community and Economic Research) methodology rebranded under the USBEA masthead. C2ER runs an ongoing inflation/geographical price data bank that goes back several decades. The USBEA is likely allowed to use C2ER data for free as 2017 data is quite stale.

One can click this link and for $7.95 run an up to date comparison between two cities (most cities over 25,000 are included).

They also use the same data stated in wage values across the country.

https://store.coli.org/compare.asp

A bit of warning.........it's tempting to look at states above and below the "average/$1 line" add the difference and believe you've reached a proper spread.
    Not so.

Example from the map above TX at 103 v. CA at 87.
    It's tempting to say CA is 16% more expensive than TX and the opposite.....wrong.

The math says do this:
    Subtract state 2 index value (CA = 87) from state 1 index value (TX = 103) then divide that by state 2 index value (CA = 87) then multiply that by 100.

103 - 87 = 16
    16/87 = 0.1839
    0.1839x100 = 18.39%

per the above map info. CA is 18.39% more expensive than TX.

Further note the opposite calculation yields a different answer......

87-103 = -16
    -16/103 = -0.1553
    -0.1553x100 = -15.53%
    TX is 15.53% less expensive than CA.

It's hair-splitting to some but accuracy means something.

The most important takeaway from the above is the data include taxes bundled into prices, that's much of the reason prices are higher in high tax areas. However, the data do not properly account for things like property taxes, income taxes, sales taxes etc.

Generally the all in COL+tax differences between lower COL and higher COL areas are understated. The yield is someone can move from very high cost, very high tax Manhattan NY (insert a number of high-cost cities) to much lower cost and lower tax Nashville (insert 100 cities), take a very large pay cut and be financially better off.

I hope I didn't botch too much of that....had eye surgery several days ago and my vision is wonky.

Trebore likes this.
  20. sombunya

Nice sidestep pal. How about answering my question? I’ll wait.