Life in California.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by clancy, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Pluto57

Pluto57

The Florida Gulf coast has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. We also have electricity and are allowed to keep our guns. For now, at least.

Oh, and no income tax.

2. Wojo88

Wojo88

Does the higher cost of living and much higher taxes erode the higher wages?

45caldan likes this.

3. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

You're overlooking the money and side benefits we bring to other states. I knew quite a few people in Silicon Valley who sold their tract house for vast sums of money and when they moved to Oregon they had to buy a McMansion just to use up the equity (back when capital gains on home sales didn't exclude older people). They brought a ton of money. Hundreds of thousands from home equity and a boatload of 401(k) money. Some had stock options worth who knows what. When Facebook went public even the secretaries were millionaires.

Silicon Valley is swimming in money but housing is getting a bit pricey when a tract house sells for $2M is less than 2 days. Cash sale...

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/3/2/17073100/silicon-valley-house-home-sunnyvale-record-price-crisis

Of course, the newcomers priced the locals out of the housing market but so be it.

4. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

It depends on where you are on the income scale. If you work at Mickey D's, you're screwed. If you have an advanced degree in something worthwhile, you can make some pretty good money. Housing in Silicon Valley is very expensive but I'll bet that is the case for Seattle and Redmond as well. Lots of demand and limited resources, of course housing will go up.

The less you make, the longer the commute.

Around here, there is no substitute for an advanced degree. It's just plain required! And that's why we're paying for our grandson to finish his undergrad and attend grad school in some aspect of applied math. Probably analytics - that's where the money is.

You did know that the program that tosses all those targeted ads at your browser was called a 'recommender' and is a form of artificial intelligence, right? The underlying AI is in the realm of applied mathematics or analytics. Growth industry, right there!

https://www.smarthint.co/en/ai-product-recommendation-engine/

CAcop likes this.
  5. MCCM

MCCM

Yes that is one reason I left.

6. Wojo88

Wojo88

Completely understand pay grade versus education. I have looked at pay scales across various states and and did modeling to see how true income levels netted out after state taxes and cost of living is factored in. This was done years ago and CA always seemed to be on top where the taxes and COL ate away so much of the income earned. My older son used to live on the Oregon border of Washington. He worked in Washington as a IT manager and used to send me real estate listings for his area. He said the commute was horrible, 3-4 hrs a day round trip to work. Since finance is up my alley I figured out his true cost of living with time factored in and he was surprised. My solution was ask your company if they would consider him working remote from Michigan. They really valued my son and didn't want to loose him so they agreed! He kept his high salary and works from home in MI. His pay actually increased by 20% because our taxes and housing is so much less expensive.

7. Trebore

Trebore

.264 magnum likes this.
  8. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

9. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Companies can be amazingly flexible when scarce talent is involved. Congrats to your son for making the system work.

Wojo88 likes this.
  10. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

The local network equipment belonging to the provider is on the pole outside our house. It didn't have power either. Xfinity has an open WiFi signal that may, or may not, have been active. We didn't look.

I also have a UPS for the router and a couple of PCs.

MinervaDoe likes this.
  11. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Interesting, but not compelling. Take the example:
    I don't have snow, it rarely rains, the climate is moderate year round and I make a buttload more money in California than I could ever make in South Dakota. I spill more than $13.38..

12. pgg00

pgg00

CA is a lot like other states. If you look at the landmass most are extremely conservative. Unfortunately the densely populated areas drown them out with votes. There are 58 counties in CA. Of those maybe 11 are actually liberal.

WA is similar. State wide democrats usually only campaign in 3 counties because that's all they have to win

lopak, Flags, cougar_ml and 2 others like this.
  13. Wojo88

Wojo88

Couldn't agree more, my wife has been working remote for the past 25 years, she is graphic designer/ 3D Illustrator and I have been asking why don't more companies do this. I think this covid lock down has opened some eyes for many companies. My son's company actually purchased all the computers and servers for him as well to set up his office....

nursetim likes this.
  14. RenoF250

RenoF250

What relevance does 90 years ago have to today? They will go after whatever they think they can get. They would have a had time taxing savings that has already been taxed but I can easily see them trying to go for 401k money. I have to admit that actually makes sense - you earned the money in CA and deferred the taxes until payout I can see CA saying they are owed taxes on that money whether you are in the state or not.

15. J_Rico

J_Rico

Wow! Did anyone go cannibal?

16. nursetim

nursetim

Our homeless will summer in california and winter in Phoenix, no ****. As I understand it, Phoenix did the same thing for a time, but stopped, I know not why.

17. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Phoenix was bad about sending the homeless to Salt Lake City. They figured the Mormons would take them in with out putting up a fuss. They all went back because Utah is a nasty cold place to spend a winter outside. We “may” have bought a lot of bus tickets.

pgg00, bruscifer and nursetim like this.
  18. nursetim

nursetim

I read sometime back that SLC had whipped their homeless problem by housing all the homeless, I think it was a hotel or dormitory type solution. Is that still working out up there?

19. CAcop

CAcop

The usefulness of that is dubious for California because it is an average statewide.

The Bay Area a 3/2 is going to be a million dollars other than in a ****ty area. Just 2 hours inland you can get the same house for 1/3 the price.

Pay will be adjusted accordingly, sometimes.

I almost left to El Dorado County because I was only going to lose 30% pay but I was going to get 2x the house for 1/2 the price I could get in the Bay.

Yeah, you kind of are far from colleges so you will have to send your kids off vs use local colleges and going on a trip by plane is going to take a bit to get a good price but the cost of living is good vs pay.

20. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

We still have a lot of homeless here. They took over a failed condo project. For those that qualify for the program it is working good. It gets them some temporary stable housing and back into the job market. Then they can get their own place.

The biggest problem is drugs. Meth users don’t qualify and meth is big here.

nursetim likes this.