Life in California.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by clancy, Sep 23, 2020.

1. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

2. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

3. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

I get that it’s sarcasm but I’ve lived here my entire life. My previous position at work had me driving 30,000 miles/year, mostly within the city of Los Angeles and I am acutely aware of how life in this Leftist utopian hellhole is.

There is one bright side to living here, however. Wages are high, which means I will be able to earn a lot and therefore save a lot. When I retire in about three years I will take all of my money and move to a more affordable free state.

Squid1, jame, vikingsoftpaw and 9 others like this.
  4. RenoF250

RenoF250

You have to actually save it though and most don't, they get caught up in the competition, at least that is how it is in the Bay area. Also, be careful, CA has been talking about figuring out a way to tax people moving out. They are on to you.

Sharkey, XX75, sombunya and 6 others like this.
  5. Prh555

Prh555

And yet they still vote in democrats. Pelosi..schiff..moms mabley ring a bell..dem mayors and governors.

...doing the same thing but expecting different results.

Vote in all Republicans 11/3...things will change.

Caver 60, Elicsx, mc1911 and 3 others like this.
  6. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

I really like that statement, I will live without an ocean, and keep my guns. And have electricity. Thanks Indiana.

7. Trebore

Trebore

Cali used to be a Red state! Then it turned Blue, started in the 70's with 'free' medical, easier welfare quals (no wait times), etc. etc. Cali has been known for decades that it 'exports' its 'culture' to other states etc. (yes, globally). Like covid it is an invisible pestilence.
    Think about the current 'situations' thoughout the nation and the world. The Beach Boys had it right!

8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Just to add a little context: The Rolling Blackout (capacity related) that hit us in the first block lasted an hour. An entire HOUR without electricity. Sure, the laptops and tablets all worked but networking was broken. An entire HOUR without the Internet! Horrors!

FWIW, 113 deg F in the Central Valley is a bit over the top and, of course, the ACs were running full blast throughout the state.

Now, let's think about other areas of the US. Are you telling me that you have had less than 1 HOUR of outage since 2003? Considering hurricanes, tornados, flooding, etc, you mean to tell me that you have had less outage in 17 years?

OK, but what about the PLANNED outages. Well, as you know, the utility companies have been severely criticized for burning the state to the ground a few years ago. As a result, they are much more proactive during high wind and high heat events in the more rural areas. High heat results in higher wire temperatures which results in sagging and, ultimately, high voltage wires hitting trees - here starts the fire! High wind causes branches to break off and possibly fly into the wires or the trees just get blown into the wires. All of this leads to the current process of the utility shutting down power to risky areas - they are NOT going to get caught up in another event like 2015. It bankrupted PG&E and that still isn't settled.

So, how come the trees are such a problem? Well, the environmentalists decided that logging was bad and clearing underbrush was even worse. So, we don't have forest management - we wait for it to burn and then the rain comes and it floods. Way to go enviromentalists! Construct laws that guarantee failure! Yes, the utility has been slack in maintaining their right-of-way but the tree growth without suitable fire breaks is the real problem. Right now, the first fire break is at the Mississippi River.

To be fair, the neighbor's trees were growing up through the overhead wiring and we did have 3 short blown fuse events a couple of years ago. The utility eventually caught on after I pointed out the problem to one of the linemen. They came in and topped the trees - no more blown fuse events. This wasn't entirely the utility's fault but they could have been a little more diligent when the first fuse was replaced. Like "Why did the fuse pop?". But this was neither a PLANNED outage or a ROLLING BLACKOUT - it just happens when you have trees all over the place.

Market manipulation is another issue in California. Small producers go off-line for "maintenance" and when the CAISO runs short, they raise the price they pay for power. When it gets high enough, the small producers are magically ready to start. The cool thing is that every supplier, even big base-load suppliers, get the higher price for all MWh delivered for the entire day. The small producers set the price, not the base-load suppliers.

9. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

What makes you think another state wants you!

Elicsx, XX75, Bus007 and 3 others like this.
  10. 45caldan

45caldan

Florida is very purple these days but will most likely be full blue eventually with all the New Yorkers moving here and bringing their Democrat ways with them!
    Leave that s*** behind when you leave there for here!!!

Caver 60, orangejeep06, DAKA and 3 others like this.
  11. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Duh, missed Civics Class did you? Candidate A gets 70%, Candidate B gets 25% and Candidate gets 5%. Who wins? D'oh Candidate A because 70% of the blue state is Democrat. :homer:

bruscifer likes this.
  12. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

My son just moved to Carlsbad. More expensive but much higher wages than other places he could have gone to with the same job so it is a net gain for him.

He was raised in the cold. He LOVES the climate.

California girls are cute. He has already discovered that as a single, educated, employed, straight guy, he is in demand. We were still hauling boxes in as the girls in his complex discovered him. A lot of dogs got walked past his place that day.

13. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

CA is what it is because they let the rejects in from other states. I am a policeman and 40 years ago I interview runaways from other states and their basic reason was their parents and grandparents were not tolerant of them. So parents should help their children instead encouraging them to go to CA. Some of the old timers said the weird ones started coming after WWII. Of course the Okies and hillbillies was just as bad as the gypsies who came here in the 1930s. :cop:

14. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

Everything you described is a direct consequence of left wing democrats in charge. Laws regulation etc.

Jade Falcon and bruscifer like this.
  15. MCCM

MCCM

Pelosi is the biggest reason I am embarrassed to say I am from California. I was born and raised in SoCal (1966-2008) and I could see the decline. Got out as soon as I could find a decent job after I retired from the military. The weather and the food are not enough to keep any sane person there.

16. CAcop

CAcop

They lost a case on that 90 years ago.

Even then that law is aimed at businesses that move out but have a presence here. I think it is aimed at keeping tech from leaving but they have the money to fight it.

17. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Back in the early '70s, I used to do a bit of drag racing at Carlsbad Raceway on Friday nights. Run what you brung!

Nice area.

Yes, California politics suck! But the other things make it a nice place to live. BTW, there are pockets of conservative thought including the Central Valley and, although drifting, Orange County. Then there is northern California and those folks certainly have never had a liberal thought. Unfortunately, we just don't have the numbers to get much of a say in government.

18. CAcop

CAcop

Oh, God. Tell me about the people from out of state. A full 1/3 of our homeless shelter in town had out of state people. We had a program called "Homeward Bound" where we gave them a bus ticket back home. Their family would send them back in two weeks.

19. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

And will likely do what every other kalifornian has done, viz. turn their new home into a carbon copy sewer just like the one they fled. Cf Orygone, Washington, Kolorado, Austin, Tulsa ........

Do us a favor. Stay where you are and change kalifornia from within.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  20. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

There is often an insurance requirement for locational diversity. They simply won't tolerate losing an entire business to some minor earthquake. It turns out that this insurance requirement is a really big deal. A piece of it is known as "loss of revenue" and there are a lot of ways that could happen. When Factory Mutual came through one place I worked, they got really interested in how the City of Santa Clara provided power to the plant. Were there multiple paths, diverse substations, all that kind of thing. At another plant we only had one source of fire suppression water which is typically city water. We had to build an on-site reservoir (like a million gallons?, I forget) with a diesel fire pump just because we added a building with a new wafer fab. Furthermore, it had to be located at the far end of the loop, as far away from the city water connection as possible.

Tech will be in Silicon Valley as long as Stanford is in Palo Alto.

CAcop likes this.