Life After Google

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by snerd, Aug 10, 2018.

1. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

A fairly long read, but well worth it. The old tried-and-true foundations that many of the tech giants take for granted are not so solid as they think they are. New, progressing blockchain technology along with world-wide distributed computing will leave these monopolies sitting abandoned like old steel plants in the rust belt. Imagine Google and Facebook actually having to “compete” for a change? But with their academia-induced self-importance and old-money tech, they may not ever see it coming.

Review: Big Tech Is Sowing The Seeds Of Its Own Destruction

http://thefederalist.com/2018/08/10/review-big-tech-is-sowing-the-seeds-of-its-own-destruction/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Fred Hansen likes this.
  2. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

A lot to absorb there. I might get the book. Sounds interesting.

It may be wishful thinking, but something has to stop the Google/Facebook/Amazon monopoly. As I’ve posted before, Standard Oil was a tiny fraction of the size of these behemoths when it was forcibly broken up.

3. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I kind of, sort of, get the big picture here. But my God, there is no way I would buy his book. Why the hell would I want a self-induced aneurysm?

I just don't see myself deconstructing and parsing every paragraph in his book for five minutes a pop.

Probably I'm just slow and undereducated.

Edited to add: Honestly, this is the sort of thing that put me off of philosophy as a serious interest. I like the idea of philosophy, but not the reality.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    MinervaDoe and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  4. FredSamp

FredSamp

Doesn't it just suck when someone does something better than someone else, and becomes eminently successful?

Tear apart Google, and bring back the likes of AOL, Yahoo, Bing, Lycos, AskJeeves!

But heaven forbid Big Gov't meddle with business and force companies to make healthcare affordable.

Why SHOULDN'T an insurance company pay $92 to a hospital for a box of diabetes test strips that sell for $12 on Amazon?

5. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Where in the article did it say anything about tearing apart Google???? :confused:

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

6. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

My take away on this article.
    So the article is identifying new computational model technique that if successful will make the current model obsolete.
    Apparent premise is that Google does not adapt.
    What if Google adapts the new methods?
    Will the new methods make the old business model obsolete? Will Google also improve their competivness?
    Or will the new companies be so much better performers that they become the new winners?
    Early in the new methods so no new major company have been identified.
    Did mention crypto currency.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  7. JBnTX

JBnTX

The sooner "Big Tech" implodes and evaporates into vapor the better off our society will be.

Mankind is slowly being put on a computerized leash.
    Who's on the other end of that leash?

And for what purpose?

jeanderson and happyguy like this.
  8. "Doc" Cavalry

"Doc" Cavalry MAJ (USA Ret.)

I haven’t used google in ages. Switched to DuckDuckGo.

Impossible to avoid them completely, but I do where I can.

happyguy likes this.
  9. Brasso

Brasso Millennium Member

Just uninstalled Chrome. It was slowing down my computer bit by bit to the point that it took a few seconds after loading a page before you could adjust the volume. Sucking up unbelievable amounts of memory load a page. It must have been recording and sending back reports on everything I was doing. Went back to Firefox.

happyguy likes this.
  10. powernoodle

powernoodle

My 21 year old son just blocked all Google products, Youtube, Facebook, ect. on his devices because of the loss of privacy, their hatred of anyone to the right of Hillary's lover
    Huma Abedin, etc. He is migrating to other services, using email at Protonmail (encryption), etc. It is possible to largely avoid Google, though they have their tentacles everywhere.

Reminds me of when I stopped clicking on DrudgeReport, Foxnews, etc. a few years ago and cancelled my cable tv just to keep my sanity. You think that you cannot live without this [email protected], but after 24 hours the fog clears and you start to see things differently.

jeanderson and happyguy like this.
  11. plp

plp

I had the same experience when I dropped XM Radio which stayed on political talk pretty much all the time. I still listen to a lot of talk radio, but nowhere near like I used to.

It made a noticeable difference in my outlook and attitude. My head would've exploded had I kept it through the 2016 election.

jeanderson, CAMSDADDY and happyguy like this.