close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lick lick lick....

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Slinger646, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Slinger646

Slinger646 King of Sling

Beezus the dog likes to lick.....alot. Is this some indicator to bad health, malnourishment, etc. She is a happy well fed and loved 3mo Pom-Poo but she licks the Mrs and I like we're made of Crack Cocaine...she just cant get enough. It doesnt bother us as her tounge is small and it is cute, we just are worried it may be a sign of somthing wrong.

Thanks

:beer:

2. lexmedic157

lexmedic157 Citizen

Yeah, mine does too!! What does it mean?

3. cznut

cznut

It shows that they think they are big enough to "Lick YA":)

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

5. Kenpo

Kenpo

They are using us as great big salt licks. My 16 month Shih Tzu does the same thing and the Vet says that is most likely what it is.

6. BexarWolf

BexarWolf Got Milk?

Dog-on-dog licking is a dominance thing. Either they're establishing thier dominance or trying to show that they are the dominant one. Could be your dog is showing they know you're the "alpha" or it could be a nervous habit. Or, maybe they're trying to see if you're worth eating. :eek:)

7. mjb1

mjb1 femineity CLM

I've been curious about this. Could you explain the dog licking dominance thing a bit more please? Here's my deal: Two older female rotties, ages 9 & 10, and an 11 mo. male pug - all "fixed."

The 10yo rottie licks (bathes, grooms) the 9yo, but the 9yo occasionally grumbles about it. The 10yo also licks (all over) the pug, after she got used to his presence (took about 2 months for her to put up with his puppiness). The 9yo NEVER licks either of the other dogs. The pug-pup energetically licks the 9yo, often, a lot, in the ears/mouth/paws, whatever, for as long as the 9yo will let him. The pug tried to do this to the 10yo, but she won't allow it, and the pug knows not to try. I've always thought of the oldest as the dominant one. She's confident, cool, calm, and won't take crap. So, if the licker is the dominant one, that makes sense - but does that mean that my little pug-pup has it over the 9yo rottie?

They all lick me. The 10 year old is slow, gentle, deliberate, and loving about it all - same when she licks the other dogs. The 9yo licks only me, not the other dogs - and she's more hurried, eager. The pug's lick on me seems simply affectionate, neither of the two extremes.

So, what's going on in the dominance area in my pack?

8. BexarWolf

BexarWolf Got Milk?

Let me find some good references for you and I'll re-post here. My girlfriend is part of a Boxer Rescue group here in Austin, Tx so there are a lot of folks for me to gather info from. If I can find an online source, I'll post a link. Otherwise, I'll try to repeat the info as they give it to me. Dogs are very interesting creatures. Especially how they can lick themselves without falling off the couch. :eek:)

9. BexarWolf

BexarWolf Got Milk?

I did some research and it seems the one doing the licking is saying "hey, I'm no threat. Ain't I a nice dog?". Here's a really good article I found on it. If I get more input, I'll post it.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-doglick.htm

10. jimmy da wuss

jimmy da wuss Meatless Member

Yup, it's alogrooming (sp?), which is a gesture of friendship. Your acceptance of this grooming is a reciprocation of the gesture. The more frantic licker is probably very eager to please, while the slower licker is probably very secure in the nature of your relationship.

11. mjb1

mjb1 femineity CLM

Thank you BexarWolf & Jimmy da wuss,
    This makes a lot of sense - a lot! I LOVE canine psychology, and seeing it play out in my "pack." Thank you for looking up the link, and if you find others, please do share. :cool:

12. Slinger646

Slinger646 King of Sling

a big thanks, I forgot about posting this thread.... :freak:

13. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

One of my dogs licks her right foreleg raw... To the point it bleeds. I have to put a plastic collar on her for 3/4 weeks till it heals up. She quits for a while and after about a month she's back atit...:upeyes:

Don't know if it's right but sounds good...

14. tnoisaw

tnoisaw

I have a Yorkie that is a licker if you let him. Now I just say "No lick" and he stops. He will lick and lick where ever there is exposed flesh.