close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Liberal votes

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Teej, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Teej

Teej

I love living in my small corner of Florida!!

http://www.lakecityreporter.com/articles/2010/03/05/news/doc4b8f20aa64c9d328577987.txt

Man wants to change his corner of the world

[​IMG]A political billboard is seen in front of the Evangel Church of God just off of Interstate 75 northbound, south of Lake City. JASON MATTHEW WALKER/Lake City Reporter

By TONY BRITT

Published: Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:11 AM EST
    The 2010 election season isn’t in full swing, but political signs to inspire and motivate voters are becoming commonplace.

One of the season’s first political signs is far from traditional. The sign, a billboard, is written from a voter’s perspective and warns politicians that America is looking for change.

Its message: “Now it’s personal ... America’s coming for you, Congress! Vote Liberals out in 2010! We The People.”

The sign, erected on wooden posts, has a white background with blue and red lettering and three American flags. The billboard faces the northbound, Interstate 75 lanes, and is located off Sisters Welcome Road near the Evangel Church of God.

Suwannee County resident John Knapp played a leading role in having the sign erected.

“I didn’t do the billboard to be mean. I did it because I’m worried about my country,” he said. “The billboard is about the future of this country. What you see is how we feel. There are signs going up all over the country.”

The North Florida 9/12 project secretary Sharon Higgins said the sign was erected in early February.

“The sign will be there at least through November,” Higgins said. “Knapp paid for it to be up there through the election.”

Knapp said he had 75 to 80 people contribute for the sign, most from Branford and many that he didn’t know. He said about 60 percent of the contributors were from Branford and about 40 percent were from Lake City.

“I’m just taking care of my little corner in the world. Little people put up that billboard,” Knapp said. “The little people are ticked off, and this is a way for the little people to stand up. I can’t add to it any better than what the sign says.”

Higgins said Knapp attended a North Florida 9/12 Project meeting in January and collected more than $1,000 to go toward the sign project.

“John Knapp is just a regular person who came up with an idea, started asking around about it and people started handing him money to do this,” Higgins said, noting the estimated cost was $6,000 to $7,000 to have the sign painted and to rent the billboard for 10 months.

Knapp said in 1978 farmers in South Georgia used a semi-trailer parked along the roadside with a banner that apologized for President Jimmy Carter’s political actions. He used a similar concept.

“It’s a 32-year-old idea, it just dawned on me when I remembered it,” he said. “I hope in November we can turn it around and make it go the other way.”

But Knapp is also looking for extra insurance: He said there are some funds left over from this first sign and he hopes to place a similar sign along Interstate-10.

2. rahrah12

rahrah12

I hope they do...and I hope the Republicans stick to what they have been preaching once they get in office.

3. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Is McCain still officially a Republican? Thought so.

4. silentpoet

silentpoet

Arnold is too.

5. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

And Pelosi and Sanders are Democrats, so?

Yes, it a shame we only have the two parties to choose from, I'd personally prefer better prospects from either one. As an Independent, I see them as mostly the same bunch of nit wits. And to be honest, while I see a few honest candidates on the Indep side, most of them are silly as all get out. And I don't see any current Indep winning anything at the Federal level.

But having said that, we only have the two to choose from in effect. That being the case, I'll go with the Repubs. I don't think we can afford the Demos, from either a money stand point or a bigger govt stand point. Can the Repubs fail me, of course they can. Just as the Demos have failed this time. The only thing they have done "right", IMO.........is show their true colors. What they want for our Country, I just will not abide by. And they will take such an approach forever, it's in their blood so to speak. More to the point, it's where their money comes from, so they have to follow.

It may well be a matter of "the devil you know or.....". Well, I've looked this devil in the eye and don't like what I see in the least. I'll take the one I don't know this time.

And every other time I vote, for as long as I live. This devil is just that bad, controlling, elitist, arrogant, stupid, selfish, holier than thou, demeaning, and oh, did I say controlling? Time will tell with the "other one".

6. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Don't get me wrong. I voted for McCain and Palin. I would do so again. I just hate voting for the lesser of two evils.

I want the Republican party to come forward, apologize for their past big government mistakes and present a true limited government, budget balancing, conservative agenda.

If they cannot make a heartfelt core values commitment to smaller government I do not see how they can make lasting changes. It will just continue to be a back and forth swapping of power between the libs and neocons.

7. mymini40

mymini40

Exactly my thoughts.

8. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

So don't. That attitude is why we almost always have two crappy choices to choose from. You can't keep playing into the current two party system and then expect things to get any different.

9. rahrah12

rahrah12

That is why I am hesitant to think that anything will be better with Republicans back in office.

Seems like we always get into trouble when one party controls everything.

10. tnhawk

tnhawk

We get the government, we deserve.

11. Teej

Teej

Our founding fathers meant for this counrty to be a republic not a democracy.

A republic and a democracy are identical in every aspect except one. In a republic the sovereignty is in each individual person. In a democracy the sovereignty is in the group.

Republic. That form of government in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people, either directly, or through representatives chosen by the people, to whome those powers are specially delegated. [NOTE: The word "people" may be either plural or singular. In a republic the group only has advisory powers; the sovereign individual is free to reject the majority group-think. USA/exception: if 100% of a jury convicts, then the individual loses sovereignty and is subject to group-think as in a democracy.]

Democracy. That form of government in which the sovereign power resides in and is exercised by the whole body of free citizens directly or indirectly through a system of representation, as distinguished from a monarchy, aristocracy, or oligarchy. [NOTE: In a pure democracy, 51% beats 49%. In other words, the minority has no rights. The minority only has those privileges granted by the dictatorship of the majority.]

The distinction between our Republic and a democracy is not an idle one. It has great legal significance.

The Constitution guarantees to every state a Republican form of government (Art. 4, Sec. 4). No state may join the United States unless it is a Republic. Our Republic is one dedicated to "liberty and justice for all." Minority individual rights are the priority. The people have natural rights instead of civil rights. The people are protected by the Bill of Rights from the majority. One vote in a jury can stop all of the majority from depriving any one of the people of his rights; this would not be so if the United States were a democracy. (see People's rights vs Citizens' rights) In a pure democracy 51 beats 49[%]. In a democracy there is no such thing as a significant minority: there are no minority rights except civil rights (privileges) granted by a condescending majority. Only five of the U.S. Constitution's first ten amendments apply to Citizens of the United States. Simply stated, a democracy is a dictatorship of the majority. Socrates was executed by a democracy: though he harmed no one, the majority found him intolerable.

Government; Republican government. One in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people, either directly, or through representatives chosen by the people, to whome those powers are specially delegated. In re Duncan, 139 U.S. 449, 11 S.Ct. 573, 35 L.Ed. 219; Minor v. Happersett, 88 U.S. (21 Wall.) 162, 22 L.Ed. 627. [Black's Law Dictionary, Fifth Edition, p. 626]
    Democracy. That form of government in which the sovereign power resides in and is exercised by the whole body of free citizens directly or indirectly through a system of representation, as distinguished from a monarchy, aristocracy, or oligarchy. Black's Law Dictionary, Fifth Edition, pp. 388-389.

Notice that in a Democracy, the sovereignty is in the whole body of the free citizens. The sovereignty is not divided to smaller units such as individual citizens. To solve a problem, only the whole body politic is authorized to act. Also, being citizens, individuals have duties and obligations to the government. The government's only obligations to the citizens are those legislatively pre-defined for it by the whole body politic.

In a Republic, the sovereignty resides in the people themselves, whether one or many. In a Republic, one may act on his own or through his representatives as he chooses to solve a problem. Further, the people have no obligation to the government; instead, the government being hired by the people, is obliged to its owner, the people.

The people own the government agencies. The government agencies own the citizens. In the United States we have a three-tiered cast system consisting of people ---> government agencies ---> and citizens.

The people did "ordain and establish this Constitution," not for themselves, but "for the United States of America." In delegating powers to the government agencies the people gave up none of their own. (See Preamble of U.S. Constitution). This adoption of this concept is why the U.S. has been called the "Great Experiment in self government." The People govern themselves, while their agents (government agencies) perform tasks listed in the Preamble for the benefit of the People. The experiment is to answer the question, "Can self-governing people coexist and prevail over government agencies that have no authority over the People?"

The citizens of the United States are totally subject to the laws of the United States (See 14th Amendment of U.S. Constitution). NOTE: U.S. citizenship did not exist until July 28, 1868.

Actually, the United States is a mixture of the two systems of government (Republican under Common Law, and democratic under statutory law). The People enjoy their God-given natural rights in the Republic. In a democracy, the Citizens enjoy only government granted privileges (also known as civil rights).

There was a great political division between two major philosophers, Hobbes and Locke. Hobbes was on the side of government. He believed that sovereignty was vested in the state. Locke was on the side of the People. He believed that the fountain of sovereignty was the People of the state. Statists prefer Hobbes. Populists choose Locke. In California, the Government Code sides with Locke. Sections 11120 and 54950 both say, "The people of this State do not yield their sovereignty to the agencies which serve them." The preambles of the U.S. and California Constitutions also affirm the choice of Locke by the People.

Thomas Jefferson said that liberty and ignorance cannot coexist.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
    Thomas Jefferson, 1816.

12. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Time to start voting Libertarian... enough of the two party system.

13. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

Only by name. It's a shame too because the dems can run on the "look what a repub in office did for you" theme even though he was no where close to a real one.

14. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Beat you to it buddy - I decided not to go "the lesser of two evils" route a long time ago. Are you hold enough to have voted for Perot? I am! :)

kestrou

15. Glenn129

Glenn129

"Knapp said in 1978 farmers in South Georgia used a semi-trailer parked along the roadside with a banner that apologized for President Jimmy Carter’s political actions. He used a similar concept."

They sure did, I was in Plains when the farmers in Georgia had a Tractorcade to Plains to let him know how upset they were with his policies. I am also old enough to remember the bill boards, "Impeach Earl Warren". Do you remember those?