LFCD vs Dillon rifle crimp die

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by uofaengr, Jun 14, 2020.

1. uofaengr

uofaengr

I don't want this to be a thread about whether crimping is desired, but I'm using a Dillon 3 die set for .223 in a 650, and for now am using the crimp die since these rounds are being used in ARs and AKs. I'm using exclusively bullets with a cannelure, and am applying a light crimp.

A lot of people rave about the Lee Factory Crimp rifle die, and I was wondering for those who have used both, is one better than the other, or are they roughly the same in use?

2. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Most all of my 223 ammo gets used in AR-15s, a few of my 223 AKs and my M-16.

I dont crimp even though I am mainly using Hornady 55 FMJs with a cannelure.

If I was going to start crimping I would go with the Dillon taper crimp as it is more simple with fewer moving parts to break or wear out.

The last die on my 223 toolhead is a Redding body die which sizes the base and bumps the shoulder. I do that just to be 100% sure my ammo fits in the chamber.

fredj338 and uofaengr like this.

3. uofaengr

uofaengr

Forgive my ignorance on the Redding die because I may be asking a stupid question here lol, but is that not accomplished well enough during full length sizing?

4. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

It is just a CYA step. Just in case the case didnt get 100% FL resized back to spec for some reason, the body die catches any errors on my part.

uofaengr likes this.
  5. naughtymoose

naughtymoose

I have tried both and prefer the Dillon product.

6. fredj338

fredj338

I dont crimp, ar15 ammo either. Neck tendion holds the bullet, even if you have a slight setback, isnt affecting much.