Lexington prelims are up!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Glockster00, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Glockster00

Glockster00

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Looks like a small match compared to the last time I shot it. I see Brent Nienberg at the top of Am. Civ. We shoot IDPA with him occasionally - that guy has sure gotten good.

3. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

I shot Sunday Morning and there was no waiting time to shoot at any of the stages. Good thing I already had all my magazines loaded for the match.

4. PM720

PM720

467 Entries? Looks like fast times, short COF's? And lots of Masters to make for guns in all divisions! :)

professor309 likes this.
  5. S8MS-01904

S8MS-01904

Groovy

6. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

That's what I guess. All things being equal, the PLATES would be faster too, but it generally doesn't look that way when top Civilian gets a 54, but with a 19 on plates.

7. AJE

AJE Sometimes grumpy, not old

The Glock M was about the shortest I've seen set up. I loved it :dancing:

Tbone17, Gary1911A1 and PM720 like this.
  8. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

When they set up stages like that it gives me false hope.

9. PM720

PM720

I was only referring to the paper stages. I doubt you will ever see the plates at less than 11 yards due to safety concerns. But just moving the paper stages can trim several seconds off the fast guys times. I know it helped move the Azuza matches faster by just shortening the 5toG to 20 yards.

Snoopy47 likes this.
  10. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

I am a fan of a short range, Saves the wear and tear on the RO'S , and you can really reset quick. Definitely can move more people quicker then a long set up

wlkjr, Snoopy47 and Tbone17 like this.
  11. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

I don't think it actually makes folks "faster". I think it makes them have less down shots with C/D/Miss. As a result Total Times are lower.

That's why I use plates as the great equalizer between matches at different locations. All plates are 11 yards regardless of where the match is run. If folks are getting 40s and 50s with Plate times in the high teens and twenties then yea, I presume the course was shorter.

A shorter course makes for a quicker run day, easier on RSO's, competitors feel better about themselves and I generally don't think it's going to change how folks place regardless of how short/long the shots were.

Just don't get too comfortable with short courses, because if your not, those 25 yard targets are going to see a lot of D's and misses.

12. professor309

professor309

Same here. When I look at results from other matches and see a bumper crop of sub 60 times (or sub 70 in Civilian), I look further. The first place I go is to the plate rack. When G’M times are consistently lower than plate times, that’s usually a clue.

I now mark the distance and target configuration in my results so I can compare apples to apples in my own scores.

13. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

I should remember to do that too.

That challenge I guess for me is I practice with 25 yard benchmark, and and use the appropriate time to avoid C and D hits at 25 yards. So that's the tempo I have in my head. I'm usually not apt to pick up the pace until after a few divisions have already been shot, and I realize I can shoot faster with less chance of penalties.

I lost a chance to win a Guardian division because I over think it and took too long going after A zone shots. I got a high 70 and lost by 3 seconds, while in MS and Comp I shot in the 50's because I wasn't worried about down hit consequences. I could have walked away with a Guardian win by 15+ seconds.

I guess that's the game. Be prepared for anything. I need to make a mental note that if targets are inside 15-20 I can pick it up, and nearly use POINT SHOOT at 10 yard paper targets, and still get B-zone hits without consequence.

14. AJE

Having a tempo in your head isn't a bad strategy but I think it will hold you back. Shooting with the appropriate sight picture is a better way to determine how fast the shots should be. Whether it is a hard focus on the front sight for a 25+ yard target (splits and transitions will be slower) or two shots at a close target while barley seeing the sights (will be much faster). The trick is learning to switch between the targets seamlessly.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  15. Bigblue9

Bigblue9

My brother and I joined GSSF last year, and Lexington was our first match. We shot Park City this summer, and Lexington again. Just shot my personal best which placed me third in civilian class, so I’m pumped about that.

The Bluegrass facilities are awesome, and matches ran well. We shot on Sunday mornings and there was little to no wait.

GSSF is awesome for a new shooter like myself, and this board is a great resource. Thanks to all for sharing knowledge and making this place great.

AJ seems like the man to beat around here. Congrats on your win man!

16. AJE

Final now. Thank you Bigblue9:cheers: