close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lexington 2003 Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by EMillen, Nov 1, 2003.

1. EMillen

EMillen Millennium Member

Was it GREAT today or what?!!:cool:
    250+ shooters, 96 more pre-registered expected Sunday. Probably a few more walk-ins. A new attendance record is certain.
    I know I'm beating DannyR to this, he shot today and is busy making his way back home. We had Judge Roy Bean come to our State SASS Match a couple of years ago, and now Danny Ryan has been to our GSSF Match:) Hey, it's almost the same thing!;e
    Hope y'all had fun,
    E.M.

2. SWPLF

SWPLF

Once again Bluegrass was a Great Match. Got there at 1:45 PM and was out by 3:45PM! It was even greater to see Miss Vicki again. (For those of you that don't know her "real" job is in accounting and she is the one who signs those wonderful checks. Keep them coming, will you Vic?)

Had brought the 23-C for Comp and 19 for Civilian Stock and a rookie partner at only his third event. Well...The 23C acted up on my first stage --- 5 to Glock -- Can't really complain this was the 20+ time I have shot it @ matches and first time it has acted contrary. SO for the Plates and the M switched to the 19 for COMP. Yeh I will probably be "Dead last But Finished" in Comp but the almost good news is that I shot a personal best in Amatuer Civilian of a 138.00. I say almost good news since after reviewing that last several Bluegrass Results it may well be that I just shot myself out of getting money in "B" which I am 2 out of 3 so far this year. Now if enough of you Sunday Shooters would be nice enough to do great tommarow and beat my 138.00 I would not object to being moved down to 1st in B.

Great location -- Great Range -- Mostly Great Range Officers (See next post..)-- Good food -- Clean Restrooms -- Pretty Registrar -- Neat printout on the Plates -- Made it to Louisville for a great dinner and still total time away from Casa 13 hours. Oh and Purdue Won what more could I ask for. Wish this wasn't my last event of the year.

Final Note I also was told they moved the Annual Shoot off of the US Grand Prix weekend so it don't get much better than today.

3. SWPLF

SWPLF

:( I had such a great time I did not want to ***** in the last post I wish I could give them a total thumbs up however...

As I said in my last post we only barely beat closing of registration and went directly to 5 to Glock. No wait and very patient RO's as I struggled with the 23C. I told them my partner was a rookie and they handled him great and he shot 4 of the 5 targets as his best yet. Yeh he still needs work on the 25 yard. So off to the Plates

When we arrived they were just finishing a shooter on the middle rack and I was told to go up there. A gaggle (Six or More) RO's were either playing or shooting on the right rack. And after only one set of plates, I saw the shooter on the left range just standing there.

I get up ready to shoot, have already taken my dry fire/sight picture, when the male from the left rack walks up and says this rack is closed and takes the new whatever it's called unit and walks off.

It turns out the lady at the left rack has just bombed her 4th unit of the day...(Her words!) Now maybe it is just because I am from INDY and we have reputation for the "worst" ROed match on the circuit and I am more sensative to the RULES but...

I would have sent the shooter on the left rack down to the middle one put him up immediately after the current shooter on the line had finshed. Or went down and got the one from the rack where only RO's were shooting, not jerked it out when a shooter is on the line. But what do I know -- thats an classic INDY type move.

If it had ended there I would not be making this post--BUT

When we get down to the left rack they have the shooter not only re-shoot the gun the unit blew up on but then let him stand there and hand reload his mags and shoot not one more gun but then hand re-load again and do a third gun in a row.

When I said "How many guns is he shooting" the reply was "Three -- SO WHAT!"

The so what is... Page Nine 2003 Refrence Edition "Glock Report"

HANDLING MULTIPLE COMPETITOR ENTRIES In an effort...competitors entering more than two catagories will be REQUIRED to shoot NO MORE THAN TWO such entries at each idividual stages in sucession...

Ignorance of the rules? Lack of briefing? Don't Care? Who knows.

The good news comes on the M when we arrived they were also finishing up a gaggle of RO's on the middle M so they grab a free RO and a timer and send us over to the left M, Ah -- the differnce two hundred yards make.

As I said above, coming from INDY, I have no moral right to ***** and after getting this off my chest I still compliment Bluegrass for having the best event of the year -- except maybe the Annual.

Good luck to all you Sunday boys & girls...

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Ron & I made it home safely. What a weekend.

Team Sidearmor & Friends had dinner Friday night with 26 in attendance. Dan, thanks for again making dinner arrangements for us.

Bluegrass provided us with perfect weather for shooting on their most beautiful range. I got to see many old friends and met many GT'ers for the first time. Finally got to meet GT's own "Butch" from MN.

Shot lousy but had a great time. It was so good to see long time friends "Bonnie & Clyde" again. B&C, you made my day.

David Sevigny did a fine job running the match. Hubert was on top of things with the new scoring devices. The First Lady of Glock, Ms Vickie Berens kept registration running smoothly. Chris Edwards, our Master of Ceremonies, conducted the usual knife check and toast Friday night, and may add a "light" check in the future. It would be nice if Chris would sing our National Anthem over the P.A. system at his next event. The factory armorer was able to secure the front crimp on Milett sight on my G21 slide. Always helps to have the proper tool.

Thank you to all the volunteers that made this wonderful event possible.

The R.O's were great, and I look forward to returning next year.

Time to sit back and wait for the results. Team Sidearmor had enough members present to enter six teams into competition, a record for us.

Thanks again everyone, for making it such a wonderful weekend.
    DannyRyan

5. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Mrs. G-R here...(Pat)

Let me say for both Bob and I, we had a wonderful time in Lexington. We got home late last night. We took a different route out of Kentucky, even took a 3-car ferry across the Kentucky River. That was nice.

This, too, was the first visit to the Lexington match for us, and we were impressed. Very little wait time at any stage. That was great! All of the RO's we met were very friendly and professional. That helps make a match go great, too.

It's always nice to meet up with old friends, and the Friday night dinner was a great place to do just that.

The weather was perfect. As we were leaving around noon on Saturday, we drove in a bit of rain, but I hope it bypassed the match.

We're looking forward to seeing the pictures, I hope they are posted soon.

Until Jacksonville, we hope all of you are safe and have a great holiday season!

6. Nan

Nan

Since my husband was the shooter you are referring to, I think I need to correct a few misconceptions you may have.

First, he did not reshoot his first gun. He shot the first Major Sub string with his 36 when the scanner quit working. They exchanged the scanners, entered his first score and he finished Major Sub. He then shot the 17 in Stockmeister, for which he had all the necessary mags. He then reloaded two mags and shot his 17 in the Am Civ.

He was also the only competitor at the plate racks when he stepped up to shoot. He fired one string when the unit stopped working, waited several long minutes while they attempted to fix the unit, packed up his stuff to move, then unpacked his stuff and continued shooting when they got a new unit to him, instead.

I also thought they did wait for the shooter at the middle stage to finish, then as the next shooter approached, they closed that stage. I didn't think there was anyone standing on the line when they took the unit. So you were actually scanned in to the unit when they took it away?

Just to keep the record straight.

7. EMillen

Well... another year has come and gone. Funny how I've started to look at my calender as either "before or after the Glock Match";Q
    Maybe I need a break;d
    369, a new record in attendance for us. I had many more RO's than in the past, some were very inexperienced and should have been given the opportunity to view the "new shooter video". We had some RO problems this year, but in the great scheme of things I think they were minor. We will try to come up with some answers before next year. I am very tired right now, I hope you had fun & will come back next year. We sure enjoy having you here;a
    Dan S. aka Edgar Millen
    PS- Oh wow! Do I hate those PeeDeeAays!! While they might be nice for the Stat person, they stink for a scorer with failing eyesight (and I'm not THAT OLD), not to mention the many other little problems. Give me a pen & paper any day!!!

8. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

9. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

Well, we made it home from a VERY GOOD TIME at the BGSC and the weather was very nice along with all the ROs. Saw alot of friends and made some new ones as well.
    My shooting was the norm a 120.91~1 and my UL was fun to shoot^2. Dinner Saturday night was great as well "GOOD TIMES"^c ^c This was my last match of the 2003 and I'm looking forward to 2004 Anderson;d but it will be more like Richmond Va so keep up the good hard work GSSF and Team Sidearmor.

Sniper

10. GlockMom

GlockMom

I would have to say this was the best ever^5 ^5 The weather was great.^c The RO's were great.:) It is a great range.;? And my score turned out to be great too ;+ ;+ Although I am still looking for the elusive "no miss" match, I had a personal best of 189.xx. I wish I had another match to go to but I will have to try and hold my enthusiam unilt next year.;Q

Jerry thanks for your advice;* it really helped. And Gene helped some too....I mean Glenn;K

11. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

What a great weekend to travel to Lexington and shoot at thier awesome range. The highlight was watching "OINK" Johnson shoot the 5 to Glock for his GSSF debut!!I look for some great shooting from the Oinkster in the future!

thanks to all the RO's, GSSF staff and Dan S,........ Lexington is a great place to shoot!

12. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

Hey guys ,just got in from lexington. Shot a good match. HAd a good U/L score and shot my best stock score Ive had in the last three matches. Had a fun time , great ROs. And great match. Sorry I missed all the guys from team SideArmor. Hopefully I will see you all in jacksonville.

13. mleeber

mleeber

What a great weekend to shoot...even missed the rains around Lexington. Wish I had time to meet more of the regulars but unfortunately I had to shoot and run as I had baby sitting duty back home in Atlanta. Left the house at 3:00AM Saturday (did the Halloween thing with the kids Friday night) got to Lexington at 8:30AM, Shot, left for home at 2:00PM and was home at 8:00PM. Yes, I must have the sickness to drive for 11 hours to hang around with GLOCK nuts and shoot for 4. I can blame that on FireGlock for sure!

I shot much better this time than the first but those darned "Mikes" showed up again (4 of them) on the GLOCK M with the subcompact! Got some tips from Team SideArmor early but they must have worn off by afternoon.;f

The ROs did a great job! 5 to GLOCK was well organized and pumping folks through. I was lucky enough to get my name on the "GLOCK the Plates" sign-in on lines 1,2, and 3 so after I shot "5 to Glock" I walked up and shot some pretty good times on the plates. The only hang up was the RO calling names at GLOCK M. He was new and instead of maintaining the order in which the scoresheets were handed in he pulled the scoresheets for everyone who came up when they came up and placed them on top. I had a 2 hour and 30 scoresheet wait shooting my last event (GLOCK M) and my scoresheet was fifteenth when I handed it in at 8:55AM that morning. No big deal though, got home without a speeding ticket and only 2 dirty looks from my wife.

I hope to make Jacksonville, maybe even spend some time meeting more of you.

Thanks!;c
    Mark

14. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

Stayed SAFE.

Had FUN.

Shot, um, how do I stay positive?, too analitically. No personal bests . . . ;Q

BGSL must be one of the best facilities in the country, I can't imagine much better.

Great RO's, including my Glock M RO, David Sevigny !!! Wish I'd made a better impression as a shooter. OOPS. 20-something penelty seconds versus 2 at Hallsville. More dry-fire. More dry-fire. . .

Also, I got to meet Chris Edwards. He invited me to shoot his G-37. You can't refuse that. :) Cool gun. I'll have to get one soon. I NEED something between 9mm and 10MM. Thanks, Chris.

15. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper

Deb and I just got home, wow, what a drive. We stopped and saw the KFC musuem in Corbin on the way home. Rode the ferry across the Kentucky River on hwy 169 on the way up. Had a great time, the folks are nice at Lexington.

16. shooter2

shooter2 Millennium Member

I think I finally exorcised my Lexington Demon! :cool:

Had my best showing here in years, but unfortunately my scores (105.58 AC, 88.5 CC, 88.86 UM, 66.65 MS) won't be good enough to be competitive in this crowd... :( Had a handful of Deltas and a Mike(!) that doinked my AC score.

My partners in crime didn't track their scores, so it remains to be seen how our Team will fare.

Drive down was enjoyable, weather couldn't have been better, and the waits at the stages weren't bad (shooting Sunday is *always* the way to fly for fast service!). Was really impressed by the electronic scoring system on the plates; hope to see it in use on all the stages next year!

Overall, I can't complain about my performance this season. Won two pistols and finished "ine the money" several times; my only real disappointment was Hallsville. Going into the Lexington match, I felt glad to see another GSSF season come to an end (it's been a LONG summer)... now that the match is in the books, I find myself dreading the long dry spell until next season... ;g MUCH reloading and MUCH practice to be done between now and Hoosier State Regional Classic VIII!

See you all next year!

17. GJM89

GJM89

Hey everyone, especially you GlockMom (you know what I mean ;) ) Still tired from the 700+ mile journey, will post later tonight,pictures to follow, (GlockMom you know what I mean ;f ) Nan good post, The range was somthing to behold, Best location I've ever seen South West of the Mason Dixon Line and the RO's were Fantastic and had the concept of what a GSSF match is all about down pat.The GSSF staff did a bang up job as usual. Additional post to follow , and photos.:) :) :)

18. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

What a great weekend. Great weather, beautiful range, well run match and among good friends. It just doesn't get any better than that. Thanks to all the BGSC folks and the GSSF folks for doing a bang up job. A big thanks to Dan(aka. EMILLEN) for setting up a great Friday night gathering and to Vicki for setting up an equally great Sat. night gathering. Both were superb.

Now its time to start preparing for San Antonio; I found out that I need alot of practice. Based on my scores I think I went intermittently brain dead on several occassions.

19. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

The four of us from Minnesota left at about 4AM Friday morning and got home at about 3AM Sunday morning....1600 miles in about 47 hours. ;G

When we arrived at the Holiday Inn Express in Nicholasville late Friday night, the desk clerk (a beautiful young woman with a sweat southern accent) informed us that they had overbooked and had only one room left, it had a king sized bed and a jacuzi. We could have it for the same price, but she didn't think the four of us would be comfortable in the one bed. ;i

She was sharp though and had two rooms reserved for us at the Super 8 accross the street, and they paid the bill! Yup, free rooms! Yes, the Holiday Inn Express just got some loyal customers that will be pleased to talk'em up.

As others have said the range is fantastic and the match was well run. My performance in unlimited was nothing to write home about, but I'll take my stockmeister score.

The best part was getting to meet a bunch of fellow GlockTalkers! Ya know, we really do need to get some type of insignia or tattoo or secret handshake so we can recognize each other at matches... ;)

Simply put, we had a great trip!

;?

20. EMillen

Found: 1 S&W Sweatshirt on 5TG range. Please describe color-size-lettering around logo to me via e-mail and I'll ship it to you (freshly laundered!).
    E.M.