Lever Action X Model from Henry

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Struggle_Russ, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Struggle_Russ

Struggle_Russ

Wife has wanted a Henry Lever action. She cares for 45LC or 38spl/357 mag. Had intended to get her one this Christmas and then we mutually decided to wait for Henry to debut a side gate loader in her caliber choice. She's short at all of 5'2" and doesn't find tube-loading to be fun.
    Checked for Shot show appearances and none yet. Check Henry's site and there it is. I didn't think she'd like it, but she's all about it. Gonna talk to LGS Thursday to see about when they'll be able to stick and order in since they're a dealer.
    I know it won't be everyone's fancy but this is for my Wife, so stuff it lol.
    Also, she can't run a pistol very well because of her hands but she can run a Lever like I run an AR. Ability to slap a light on it, as goofy as it sounds, means she's got a HD rifle she will have confidence in. That's a big plus.
    Link for those that click:
    https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy-x-model/
    H012MX_Main.jpg

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That's an ugly rifle. Hard to believe a lever-action shooter would choose defending herself with that over death. It would be a tough choice. If my choices were that rifle or not owning a gun, I'd get a baseball bat and hold out for them to make something with a wood stock and no picatinny rail.

The big drawback to Henry was lack of a sidegate. Once they made that, the only thing holding them back was not having it in handgun calibers. That is so obvious, I have to think they will be making regular blue and walnut sidegate models this year.

Otherwise, buy a Marlin.

vikingsoftpaw and Filhar like this.

3. R_P_K_

R_P_K_

If it works for her, then it works. [email protected] Glock owners calling that ugly.

Peak Fudd, Tuscany, Bus007 and 7 others like this.
  4. lazarus66

lazarus66

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

The only way to improve that gun is if all that plastic was pink :)

Gateloading is a must (or bottom mag load). I don't like tube loading, even though I have 2 .22's with a tube.

6. bac1023

bac1023

Definitely an acquired taste, but if she likes it, that’s what matters.

DocPoison and newglocker10mm like this.
  7. DrewBone

DrewBone

'Looks like it'll be a good deal for your wife! I hope you can find one soon and she likes it :D

Though not chambered in a pistol caliber, I recently got a chance to see one of the Marlin "Dark Series" lever guns, an 1895 model that an LE acquaintance produced this past week at one of my local spots, complete with a rather nice looking aftermarket tactical looking forearm (which I usually loathe) and a Surefire muzzle device for suppressor attachment, and I was actually a bit intrigued, which was contrary to the reaction I had when I first laid eyes upon one of those hideous looking Mossberg Zombie Edition lever gun contraptions.

I only own one lever gun, and it's an AcuSport Marlin 1895GBL model with a gray laminated stock. It's well made and comfortable for even me the recoil wimp to shoot, thanks to a rather generous factory buttpad ;) Maybe it's time I give some thought into another lever gun, one that I won't worry about getting a scratch on...thanks for posting :D

DocPoison likes this.
  8. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Do you know how many times you've given people crap for thinking a gun is pretty or ugly??? You always say that it's simply a tool and nothing more.

You have no real convictions or opinions, do you? You just troll...

9. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

I think it's awesome that your wife wants to run a lever gun! I don't care what color it is or if it's old school/tacticool. The fact that she can already proficiently run one is pretty bad ass and I have no doubt that the Henry will be a force to be reckoned with in her hands! Also, running a handheld light on a long gun isn't ideal, at all, so the fact that it has a rail is a huge plus.

I say, buy away! (Once you find one)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    DocPoison and seedub70 like this.
  10. jr24

jr24

They are kinda ugly, but much less so than that tactical monstrosity by ... Mossberg,?

If prefer blue and walnut, but I could live with one of these just fine.

Kinda liking the one in .410 in fact.

DocPoison and BigBluefish like this.
  11. MikeB2

MikeB2

I have a Henry on my bucket list.
    H011R-Henry-Original-Rare-Carbine-Hero-1.png
    Carbine 20" barrel, 44-40 and toggle link action. Fix it up from Cowboy action. At $2500 it is going to be a while, but it is next on my list for a rifle.
    Have 2 Remlins that I am happy with. 1895 in 45-70 and 1894 in 45Colt. Both work fine and the 1894 is my main match gun in CAS.

As far as the OP's rifle, that is not one I would get. But it is a Henry and they are supposed to be
    great guns.

12. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

I like it. I'd like to see one in the metal.

I came across it's competitor, a Marlin 1894 CST the other day. That thing was slick. Smooth action, nice trigger, big visible ghost ring sights. And I have never handled a lever gun that fit me so well. Shouldered effortlessly and sights were right there, every time aligned. Fit and finish was also very good. This was no Remlin.

I was tempted to buy it on the spot. But I've not yet reached the point of making $1k impulse purchases. (I need at least a couple of days to rationalize them, first.)

I've generally found Henry's to be nicer than modern Marlins or Winchesters, so I am very interested to see this gate loading Henry.

Seems to me a good short range deer/hog gun or HD rifle, particularly for folks in AR unfriendly territory.

Get one before they start limiting lever guns to three round mags, 'because they are for hunting.'

DocPoison and lazarus66 like this.
  13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The only Henry I have is the "Mare's Leg".

Judging Henry by this gun I'd say they put out good guns.

Mares Leg laser.JPG

lazarus66 and DocPoison like this.
  14. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

That oversize loop lever is going to smack her fingers.
    That's why the cowboy action shooters use leather wraps to fill in the space.
    [​IMG]
    They also choose Ubertis, Marlins, Winchesters, and even Rossis over Henrys, because they like to shoot a lot.

15. Tommy Gunz

Tommy Gunz

She will love Henry's quality!

16. Tvov

Tvov

:agree::laughabove:

17. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

I like it. I have had a Rossi in 357 and had no qualms using it for HD duty. No recoil, fast handling with a potent cartridge at self defense ranges. For a truck/house gun if someone does not care for an AR it makes good sense. And choosing polymer for a stock/forearm is a good choice if you expect to expose it to harsh conditions.

BigBluefish and El Pistolero like this.
  18. J_Rico

J_Rico

Looks good to me. I am in the "HD firearms should have a light" school. So I applaud the rail.

Not that random internet opinions matter. If she likes it, all is well.

19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I also have a Rossi.
    Also a good (fun) gun.

Rossi RH.JPG

It's surprising how good you can get when shooting rapid fire, from the hip, "Wanted Dead or Alive" style. :)

Rossi RH shooting 38 SWC two hands standing cheek weld.JPG

lazarus66 likes this.
  20. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

I'm also liking this.
    H018AH-410-1-scaled.jpg
    From Henry. It's a .410. A lever action "firearm." Most have no use for Shockwave type guns; even less in .410. But I rather like them.

jr24 likes this.