Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a lever action .45LC rifle. Prefer 22" or 24" octagon barrel? What should I look for? Just shooting it for fun.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Henry "original". Action's smooth as butter, ultra cool looking rifle, accurate as all get out. When you take it to the range there's always someone asking about it. I usually let them run five or six rounds through mine.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Every penny.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ubertie’s are the most sold and most popular in Cowboy Action Shooting.
The 1873 Winchester copy is a great rifle. Ton parts available if something breaks.
24 or 20 inch barrel are your choices.

1894 Marlins are good but you can feed issues if your rifle is canted to the right. This is due to side ejection.

The 1894 Winchester is a terrible rifle. They have feeding issues due to the rifle being designed for rifle cartridges and the bastardized to shoot pistol cartridges. Yes you can run one slow but what is the point of running a lever gun slow.

The Henry Repeating Arms, which is not a copy of the original Henry. Has feeding issues when you run it fast.

The new Winchester 1873’s are decent guns with no commonality in parts with the Ubertie’s.

So I would advise to get a Uberti / Cimarron / Taylor’s 1873 or 1866.
Next would be a Marlin 1894.

Third would be the new Winchester 73

·
M62/76
12,564 Posts
I don’t have any lever guns anymore but the 1895 Winchester was always a favorite, particularly the Saddle Ring Carbine.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
I've owned a Winchester Model 94 for about 30 years.
I used to carry it when hunting with my sons in case I had to get a quick knock down shot off after them. It points as well and quickly as my finger. I love carrying the gun so much it is my go-to woods gun.

I've hunted my dad's Marlin before and damn is it heavy compared to the Win. If you are carrying it a ways, the Marlin needs a sling. The Win. doesn't

Winchester for the win for me.

My next might be a Henry, but that is because they bought several walnut trees off the farm to make gun stocks. Return the favor a bit...

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have the Rossi 92, 20 inch barrel in stainless steel chambered in 45 Colt. The 92 action is very very strong. I load 255 grain swc over a very stiff charge of 2400 powder. I am getting about 1700 fps out of this load. No signs of excessive pressure. This load will take anything except big bears. Its my shoot deer off my back porch gun.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The Miroku Winchester is pretty good out of the box. No issues with mine.

My Cimarron and Taylor's Uberti 1860s, '66's and '73s are all great guns. Some are stock, some Longhunter tuned, and two Codymatics. The cowboy tuned guns are smooooooth. Nothing wrong with a stock Uberti either. A tuned gun will last longer if you're going to run it hard and fast.

The JM Marlins are generally spot on in their QC. I have 1894s and 336s (rifle caliber) that all work well. Don't own a Remlin though.

The Henry 1860 is my favorite from the modern Henry Arms Company as it is gorgeous and exudes top quality workmanship. The more modern Henrys I have no experience with but I know serious cowboy action shooters don't/won't use them.

For casual shooting any of the choices will work well. Just depends on what style you like. Sort of Old West vs new west. The first Marlins, BTW were on the market in the early 1880s so they get the Old West nod too.

Barrel length and stock preference will be a personal choice you'll have to make. Balance, feel, etc. I prefer a 20" barrel but the Henry's longer 24" barrel is a close second.

If you ever want to shoot the heavy Buffalo Bore, Cor-Bon, Grizzly Cartridge, Double Tap, Underwood ammo through a levergun, ONLY shoot that through the Marlin. The repros are OK with SAAMI spec ammo but for the high pressure +P type ammo the toggle link repros will not hold up.

Have gun fun shopping!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm got a Uberti 1860 Henry in 44-40 that going to to be getting action in soon. A fun rifle with a real history.
Nice rifle. I have the same in color case, Uberti's hearkening to the original iron frame 1860 Henry. 44-40 is perfect for smokeless and especially black powder. A very fun levergun.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I sold a Rossi 92 24" Oct barrel 45 Colt A few month ago. Too long for liking. Replacing it with 20" carbine when I find one.
For hiking, I'd chose the 16" version. I have one of those, and it weighs about 5 lbs. It's a very handy little rifle, and with my 300 gr. Sierra bullets loaded with 2400, there wouldn't be much to fear in the woods. With my load, that little rifle rocks both what it hits, and you the shooter. If you are a recoil addict, this combo is for you.

·
Banned
600 Posts
For hiking, I'd chose the 16" version. I have one of those, and it weighs about 5 lbs. It's a very handy little rifle, and with my 300 gr. Sierra bullets loaded with 2400, there wouldn't be much to fear in the woods. With my load, that little rifle rocks both what it hits, and you the shooter. If you are a recoil addict, this combo is for you.[/QUOTE
I have 357 mag 16" Rossi and love it as it is indeed a lot handier. 2400 behind 30-320gr.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Like Lpete said the rossi with stiff loads and there curved steel buttplate hurt on both ends. I got a kick killer buttpad and installed it. It is now comfortable to shoot with stout loads.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts