close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lever action deer rifle questions

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by jpzaf, Apr 13, 2006.

1. jpzaf

jpzaf Confused?

Well, I'm looking to get a new deer rifle. I really want a lever action.

Has anyone shot a Henry 44 mag?

What do you think of the 44mag as a hunting round?

Other than that I'm leaning towards a 30-30.

Any advice would be apreciated.

2. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

The .44 is more than enough gun for deer, you're just not going to get much range out of it.

The 30-30 is also more than enough for ant deer and with the new leverution rounds 200 yard shots are not out of the question.
    The choices for chamberings can be mind boggling. The most important questions you should ask yourself are (in no particualar order)

How far am I going to shoot? Range will definatley affect your choice of chambering.

What type of animals am I going to go after? Thin skinned, small deer are one thing, Bear, Elk and moose are another story. Choose a round that best suits the game you intend to hunt.

How much can I afford? Not as big a deal, but still an important factor.

Do I want a scope? Top ejecting rifles pose a few problems when mounting a scope.

I'm sure fellow Gt'ers will have other good sugestions YMMV.
    At any rate, shoot straight and stay safe!!

Redneck out.:supergrin:

3. punkture

punkture

a quick search of "what rifle" or "what rifle caliber" thread will belabor the point of distance, terrain, type of shooting, blah blah blah. i've killed countless deer with my marlin 336 30/30. never had a problem. absolutely love it, scoped or not scoped.

4. isp2605

isp2605

What are the laws in the state where you will be hunting? In some states a .44 mag will not be legal out of a rifle.

5. Wet Dog

Wet Dog

6. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. Can't go wrong.

7. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

a 30-30 has as many ft pounds at 100 yds as a 44 has at the muzzle.

8. noway

noway

ditto

the 30-30 has placed numerous deers in the graves and has been doing it for decades oops a century or more.

A FP 30cal bullet from a 30-30 is one of the best things to use and much better than a pistol bullet which is what a 44mag will always be.

9. jpzaf

jpzaf Confused?

I live in Maine and I'll be shooting out to about 100yds max. There aren't many shots around here at more than that.

I'm not really looking to start a caliber debate. There is a Henry rifle that I was looking at that was a 44. Other than that I'll likely go with a 30-30. I was just wondering what people thought about the 44 as far as deer.

Not interested in a scope. I've still got good vision so open sights out to 100yds is no problem.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure we're all sick of caliber debates and I didn't intend to start one.

Thanks again
    -Joe

10. Wet Dog

Wet Dog

FWIW: A 240 gr. 44 Mag projectile will zip right through a deer within 100 yards and leave a nice big wound channel. Put it through the boiler room and if there is any need to track, it will be a short trail and easy to follow.

2 more cents: The 30-30 is a lot more versatile. Without question it is a GREAT deer rifle and capable of longer shots. If I could only have one or the other, I'd take the 30/30.

I like the Marlin 1894 in 44 Rem Mag for deer hunting. Anything bigger than deer I like the 45/70. The 30/30 is fun to shoot but I don't hunt with it anymore.

Regardless of which you choose, if you make a good shot with either, the deer will be dead and the venison won't taste any different.

11. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Yeah, what he said!:supergrin:

12. rich e

rich e

When I came home from the military a friend bought my Superblackhawk in 44 mag..I got him into reloading and we reloaded a bunch of 210 grain hollow-cone jacketed bullets. These loads were in the middle of "Starting grains and Maximum grains" ie...They were the most softest shooting 44 rounds ever,,comparable to cowboy loads.....He took two nice buck with those reloads the next two years..175-200 lb Pennsylvania bucks......Tree stand.....40-60 yards...Both buck fell within 100 yards of tree stand......Also...240 grain factory loads from a rifle are WAY faster and hotter than those reloads.....If you like it.Buy it...Rich

13. Castigliano

Castigliano

Can't go wrong with a marlin if you want a 44, 30-30, or 45-70. I would suggest the 35 rem! It's a little different than what everyone else has, but gives a little more weight and energy.
    I would go 30-30 or 35 before 44 just to have that little more edge.
    c

14. Neocon

Neocon

I have limited experience with a lever action gun, but the experience I do have was poor. The Marlin 35 Rem I was using last fall had one big problem. If you didn't do everything just right the gun would go "click" instead of "BOOOM". If you don't take the safety off the hammer will fall but the gun will not fire. If you do not squeeze the lever enough the hammer will fall but the gun will not fire. I know millions of people love these guns but I am not one of them. Because I falled to sqeeze the lever enough I let a nice doe get away, and I really had my heart set on killing that deer.

My $.02

15. Wet Dog

Wet Dog

I would assume your Marlin was defective or you had not fully closed lever. No squeezing of the lever is required on any of my Marlin Levers (6) two of which have the cross bolt safety.

When I was getting used to the cross bolt safety I would occasionally drop the hammer down with the safety on. My fault, not the gun's. As my familiarity with the CBS equiped Marlins grew it wasn't an issue.

At the range I work it is very common to see users unfamiliar with their firearms struggle with FTF. 99% of the time it is the operator, not the gun. Usually it is improper insertion of the Magazine or too delicate handling of the bolt.

16. Skyhook

Skyhook

I have my father's primary deer rifle, a .32Spl Winchester saddle ring carbine and that thing was his tool for bringing home hundreds of deer.

A 30-30 is an excellent caliber as well; lot's of hunters here in the Adirondacks still use that round.

Do as lethal tupperware suggested and check the ballistic tables.. ;)

17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

jpzaf,

The guys are giving good advice, but let me drop this in as well.

In 'your post,' i hear a man who "really wants" that Henry rifle!

That being said, and the fact that you are "real sure," your not going over 100 yds. (if you can truly keep it that way), I would say to you, Yes, the 44mag rifle is plenty good enough for that distance, PLUS, it is the rifle 'you really seem to want,' (the Henry), Which is a nice looking, and nice shooting gun as well. If you truly 'dicipline' yourself to stay within this range, and practice enough with the buckhorns to know 'where to hit' .... Go for it!

As some have said, they would take the 30-30, if they only had "one" choice, I agree with this as well.

But, here is "my" take on "your" situation.....You can "always" get a 30-30, they are a dime a dozen, but you seem to really 'be drawn' toward the Henry for now, so man go with what your gut feeling is here, and 'be happy,' and 'enjoy your hunting'. Again, within that 100yd. range, the Henry is fine, and you have a gun in your hands you want, like, and feel good with, AND that 'will work' at YOUR specific hunting range. Hunt with it, then decide about next season, is this going to be ole' faithful for ya, or do you want to get the 30-30.... Maybe both! ;)

Just my .2
    Have fun, enjoy what your doing, and stay safe!

CanyonMan

18. Neocon

Neocon

Don't get me wrong I know this is my mistake. What I am saying is it is easier to make a mistake with a lever gun than a bolt action. When your a guy like me you try to remove any oportunity for Murphy and his laws to get any play.:supergrin:

19. OB1

OB1

I've a Marlin .30/30 also. It has worked well for me in upper Michigan. Only problem that I've had is with the new politicaly correct cross bolt safety. Being left handed, while resting my trigger finger along the side of the action I've inadvertantly pushed ON the safety. Being older (67) I'm used to using the half cock notch on the hammer as a safety. So I wrapped a peice of copper wire around the groove on the safety button incapacitating it. Now it can't be accidently put ON. Other than that stupid cross bolt safety I'm very pleased with that little rifle!
    Furthest shot was at a doe at 125 yrs. Put a 150gr. Hornady in her chest, bullet went the length of her body taking out 3 inches of spine just ahead of the pelvis.
    OB1

20. OB1

OB1

P.S. many an Elk has fallen to the 170 grain .30/30 back when they could be approached closer. The .30/30 definatly has the "power" if you can get within 100 yds. but the gun writers don't like to admit it or people wouldn't buy the new mashmflat super shortnfat magnums. We don't really need more power, we need to get closer and accuratly place the bullet.
    End of sermon.
    OB1