lever action 10mm

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by SouthTexasrep, Aug 3, 2005.

1. SouthTexasrep

SouthTexasrep

I know this might sound kind of stupid, but don't you think it would be cool to have a lever action or semi automatic 10mm rifle? There is one for a .357 mag., seems like a 10mm should have one also. Makes sense for your hunting gun and your sidearm to match ammo, also good in a SHTF situation where you could only probably take one rifle and one pistol, then you could grab yourt ammo and not worry about having to lug two different types. Just a thought.

Does anyoen know of any company besides Olympic arms making a 10mm semi auto or lever action(preferably lever, but whichever would be appreciated)

Thanks in advance

Jimmy

2. noway

noway

Real question should be why should the mfg offer a 10mm lever actiuon?

I would think that the lack of a true rim would be the #1 reason they don't have semi-auto caliber levers-actions. And then if you factor in other existing calibers ( 44mag/45colt/30-30/450marlin/45-70 ) covers alot more than a 10mm would ever see. Then offering a 10mm lever-action wouldn't be that good or better than wants already out on the market.

3. SouthTexasrep

SouthTexasrep

Good point, I'll just try and buyt a MArlin lever and get it converted. I already have a .30-30 from Marlin and love it. I was maily asdking because a 10mm is an awesome sidearm, with ammo that costs less than .357 and .44, so why not have a hunting rifle that matched the cal. of your sidearm. You would end up spending less on ammo and you woulnt have to worry about having to carry two different types of ammo if something went wrong in the field.

Jimmy

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Why not .41 magnum? Same bullet, larger case and it's already in manufacture eg. Marlin 1894 FG. I understand what you're looking for, but I think you'll have a hell of a time getting a Marlin 1894/Winchester 1892 design to swallow a 10mm.

5. SouthTexasrep

SouthTexasrep

I don't knwo much about the .41. What are ammo prices like for it? I also found out about a guy that will customize a Marlin 1894 to shoot 10mm.

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Honestly I couldn't tell you on the ammo prices. I haven't bought factory ammo in quite some time. The .41mag is slightly more powerful than the 10mm and can be loaded with a heavier bullet. A fine cartridge.

If you get it done, make sure to post some pictures. I'd be interested to see how the 'smith makes that work with the action design.

7. MPG1737

MPG1737 Beer Me

The .41 Magnum is not slightly more powerful than the 10mm. It is substantially more powerful. Let's see a 10mm kick a 250gr bullet at 1350fps. ;)

I think the .44 Magnum is the way to go in a lever action if your going with a handgun round. The recoil is very mild, and the performance is comparable to the .30/30 Win from a carbine.

8. SouthTexasrep

SouthTexasrep

I really want to get it done, but if I do it won't be until after February. Be looking out for it then.