close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Letting the barrel get too hot?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by jp3975, Apr 1, 2010.

1. jp3975

jp3975

I know a lot of people shoot competition with pistols and shoot 100s of rounds.

Will letting the barrel get too hot damage the accuracy?

Is this more a concern with rifles? I have an aqautence with a full-auto AK and he takes breaks between mags.

I was just thinking of this the other day when i put 50 rounds of .40 through my G20[with conversion barrel] and the slide was really hot on the front end.

Would pouring water on it be a good thing?

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

I doubt it. What happens when you pour ice cold water on a hot piece of glass? It wouldn't be as drastic with metal, but still.

I take breaks between every few mags out of my Glock. If I had an AK I'd put no more than a mag at a time through it if I cared about the gun.

3. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

That sounds like a bad idea.

4. RevDerb

RevDerb

That sounds like a VERY bad idea! :wow:

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

:whistling:

In a rifle anything that changes affects accuracy. If the rifle is in a different condition then when it was zeroed the it will perform differently. If you can notice is a different question and depends on the skill of the shooters and how much different. A full auto AK I doubt the groups will grow much.

I can not think a pistol would matter very much at all. To shoot fast enough to get it hot your are probably not making small enough groups to measure the difference.

In action shooting it is not uncommon to run a 40 round stage in ~20-25 seconds including reloads.

6. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

But if you do it, post the video on Youtube.

:supergrin:

7. jp3975

jp3975

Thats why i asked...

I'll let you try it out and post a video of it;p

Thanks for the info people.

8. DanGarand

DanGarand

a hot slide is not something to worry about IMO.

9. FEDLEO

FEDLEO I'm the rootenist tootenist shootenist

The only weapons I ever saw that had problems with the barrels getting too hot were crew served machine guns. Belt feds that is. Mag feds it could happen but it would take A LOT more than a mag.

I would have to see someone damage a barrel in a semiauto pistol to believe it. I have even seen video of one get so hot the plastic guide rod melted. So will it get hot yes, but not hot enough to damage the barrel. Too slow shooting and mag changes take too long especially if you only have one or two mags and have to re-load.

I have seen people using a lot of mags and with numerous people reloading them to keep the gun going not be able to damage the barrel even after thousands of rounds.

It is good to take care of your gun but don't worry about it getting a little hot.

And don't put water on it when it is.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  10. Jon_R

Jon_R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFF0TbhgQMY&feature=channel

1K rounds as fast as he can get it done to include bump firing a 1911.

11. The Maggy

The Maggy

I have seen two weapon systems fail due to the heat effecting the barrel. A barrel on a M249 warped after 7 or 8 hours of solid shooting and no barrel change. A M2 barrel was lost after shooting through several pallets of rounds but that was with regular barrel changes. Both of these weapons went through some nasty cyclic fire for hours nonstop.

Yes, letting the barrel get to hot will eventually damage your accuracy but your pistol would be to hot for you to hold before that happens. Just keep the slide and barrel lubed up when things start getting hot and you will be fine.

12. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Someone posted a video about this on another thread.
    Can't recall which one though.

A fully automatic M4 without a chrome lined barrel will digest over ten thirty round mags before heat becomes a problem with the system and this is in fully auto. Although I'm sure that the heat will affect accuracy before then.
    The M4 with the chrome lined barrel lasted a lot longer, the gun got so hot that the guy had to wear gloves to handle it before it finally malfunctioned.

So basically, you can shoot as fast as you want and as much as you want without damaging the weapon UNLESS you're firing fully auto and you have tons and tons of already fully loaded mags. But heat does affect the accuracy and I'm sure it wears down the barrel much faster than average shooting does. I mean, no one is going to melt their barrel in the middle of combat unless the enemy is a horde of zombies. But this is only the M4 that I've seen this test with. I've heard that the Ruger Mini14 loses accuracy really fast after it gets hot but again that's all speculation.

MOST pistols will get too hot to hold before they begin malfunctioning from heat. But again that's just a educated guess. Good luck!

13. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

DangerousBob <--- Ask this guy if accuracy was effected.

14. MorkBork

MorkBork

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/m4-and-m4a1-guns/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  15. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

What would 7 33rd mags and 3 17-19 round mags uning +P ammo through a G17 in under 10 minutes do?

16. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

For the most part, you cannot shoot a pistol fast enough/long enough to cause the barrel to be damaged by heat. Why? Because the REST of the pistol becomes hot enough to prevent it from being handled by the operator before the barrel is damaged.

Now with rifles, that's a different story. But as far as PISTOLS go, you will NOT damage a pistol by extensive rapid fire.

17. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

oh god you might die, dont ever do that

18. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

itll eat the throat out of the barrel at an exponential rate if we are talking something in a centerfire rifle. whether or not you will notice the effect it has on accuracy depends on a few variables.

19. CAcop

CAcop

There's normal use.

And then there is abuse.

You are not abusing your gun. The FBI when they tested 1911s for their SWAT guys abused them.

20. Jim S.

Jim S.

This is the correct answer. :cool: