Glock Talk banner

letting off a little steem

1398 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Beeman
Ok so I have to get this off my chest. I know there are places in Ohio where hunters are close to housing areas an i can see where that would be a problem. But we should be able to hunt with riles. Ive heard the reasons an there all b/s. Maybe its time we did something about it?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Ok so I have to get this off my chest. I know there are places in Ohio where hunters are close to housing areas an i can see where that would be a problem. But we should be able to hunt with riles. Ive heard the reasons an there all b/s. Maybe its time we did something about it?

i strongly agree...that was one of the hardest things to get used too, moving from tennessee to ohio. even if odnr would just let us use rifles chambered for pistol cartridges, like indiana, i would be much happier, and my marlin 1894 would get some action.
I have been one of a handful of people who submit the suggestion to allow rifles in handgun calibers for deer hunting every year for about 20 years at the annual wildlife open house. Some years there were only 4 or 5 of us making the comment. That is the time to make the suggestion.

The past couple of years there have been quite a few more people making the suggestion and even some submitting petitions. I don't know how it went this year because my brother was dying from cancer and i could not attend.

I had hoped that Indiana adopting the new regs. for pistol caliber rifles would add some weight to the argument in Ohio. i think the thing we need to do is get organized like the handgun hunters did back in the 70s to push it through. Petitions would help as would an actual organization for promoting it.

valian
Sorry fellas, but I strongly dissagree . I think it's better for us not to be able to hunt with rifles because our deer get to mature more . Think about it . We are fortunate enough to live in a state where we truely have world class deer. Now think about what other states are known for big deer .....Illinois,Kansas,Iowa, . Do they allow rifles ? NO... So if you want to tag big deer and you want to hunt in Ohio do what I do BOWHUNT.

Please don't take this the wrong way I'm not trying to be a *&%$ but hunting is something that is very special to me and I do not want a bunch of yahoo's from outta state killing all of our big deer w/rifles . It's bad enough now w/all the land lthat is being leased . It's almost to the point now where local guys can't get a place to hunt . Can you imagine how it would be if they could use rifles .....
I also disagree!! I live, work and hunt in Harrison County. Deer gun season brings out every Tom , Dick and Harry who watches the outdoor channel and decides they are "deer hunters". They come from Cleveland, Akron, Canton and other places north of US30. They buy 60acres and try to hunt 600. They shoot houses, barns, farm animals and sometimes each other. I would not dare to drive the roads around here if these idiots had rifles. With todays technology, shotguns and muzzleloaders are more than adequate for Ohio's terrain.
I live in Montgomery County, but hunt Meigs County most. I would stop hunting during deer gun season if they allowed centerfire rifles in Ohio. There's enough idiots poaching with Mosin Nagants, SKS's, and AK 47's. The last thing we need is every one-day-a-year deer hunter running around in the woods with a high power rifle. I don't hunt public land because of all the crazies I've seen, and private land is dangerous enough with all the idiots shooting at anything that moves.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.