Letter to Schiff from House Intel R's - the House Rule Nancy didn't fix

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Grabbrass, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

After taking the majority earlier this year, House Democrats re-wrote the House rules in anticipation of their impeachment steamroller. And then wrote new rules to govern the procedure of the currently ongoing 'impeachment inquiry.' Which, as you know, allow Committee Chair Schiff sole dominion over who gets to testify, what questions get asked, what questions get answered. It's a blatantly rigged game, right out in the open, and the media reports it (to the extent they have even mentioned it) as if the Republicans are just making noise/static.

Someone on the Republican side caught something about those general House rules that were changed earlier this year. The Democrats did not change a rule that gives the minority party rights wrt: to presenting witnesses in Committee hearings. I don't know if Rep. McCarthy caught this himself, or one of his staff (more likely, tbh), but the letter below has been sent to Schiff and the other Republicans on the committee have joined in it. Will the Democrats follow the House rules? or just provide more proof that their "inquiry" is a sham?

I didn't see this posted here yet. I don't watch TV news but I'm sure CNNABCCBSNBCPBS has been making sure the American people are well informed, so apologies to anyone for whom this is already old news.

https://twitter.com/GOPLeader/status/1197542482927636483/photo/1
    Capture.PNG

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RussP, FullClip, Bassman1985 and 3 others like this.
  2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Saw this today and will be interesting if the Dems have any intentions of fairness at all.
    My bet is they won't.

I've been thinking that the Dems have boxed themselves into a corner. One is the so stated above, and the other is the Senate trial that will expose many, and old sleepy Joe and his little boy will not be happy.

If Joe had any sense he would be on the phone with birdbrain Nancy and telling her to knock it off!

3. screwman

screwman

It looks like incompetence on the republicans part not figuring this out ‘till the hearing’s over.

sixgun2, R.B. Riddick and Pythonman like this.
  4. njl

njl Crusty Member

They still have the majority...what's to stop them from just changing the rules further to eliminate this one that they missed?

larry_minn likes this.
  5. thewitt

thewitt

Apparently they cannot change the rules for a current investigation, only a future one.

6. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

It will be interesting to see how the Democrats respond to this. Thanks for posting, @Grabbrass. I hadn't seen it.

Pythonman, Ramjet38 and Grabbrass like this.
  7. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Nope, the letter is from yesterday, before the hearing ended. According to the rule, that's timely submission of the request.

Chances are they've been sitting on this from the beginning. That way they get all the Democrats' witnesses to testify first.

seamaster, jr24, FullClip and 6 others like this.
  8. Silvertiger27

Silvertiger27

Boggles the mind that people still consider the left a legitimate party in a free nation, rather than the treasonous usurpers and domestic terrorists they are. Yeah, write them a letter. That'll show them. I'm sure now, after years of treason and criminal activity with free reign, they'll shake in their boots and submit.

Biggsly and Officer's Match like this.
  9. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Well, Schiff either abides by the rules and lets them call their witnesses, or he violates the rules and creates a stronger case to dismiss in the Senate for unfair proceedings. I know they're talking about holding a trial, but if they literally and openly violate rules along the way why treat the House articles as legitimate at all? I already convinced a group of liberals on another site tonight that this is a legit demand under the rules. You can see for yourself.

Here are the House Rules, i.e. these rules control over everything, unless special procedural rules passed for a certain committee say otherwise.

http://clerk.house.gov/legislative/house-rules.pdf

At 2(j)(1) of Rule 11, there is a rule giving the minority party the right to have the witnesses of their choosing testify. It has to be requested before the close of the hearing, by at least a majority of the minority party members. That's what the letter to Schiff is.

Here's the procedural rules the House passed for the impeachment inquiry, i.e. HR660. It makes no mention of House Rule 11 2(j)(1), so it still applies.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-resolution/660/text/eh

It isn't complicated. Schiff now either follows the rules, or violates the rules. I am hoping for the latter, and I suspect the House Republicans want the same. It doesn't matter who they get to testify, doesn't matter what their witnesses would say. Democrats aren't going to change their votes because of evidence/testimony.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    pgg00, FullClip and larry_minn like this.
  10. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

Hmm, looks like they are learning from POTUS. Excellent, excellent

Pistolay and Officer's Match like this.
  11. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Yes this is exactly what happened they spring it at the ver ugh end to give the dems no prep time to respond. They will lead with this in their talking points going into the holidays .

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pistolay likes this.
  12. bdcochran

bdcochran

Normally, absolutely "yes". Now, reflect from the perspective of a Blue Dog Democrat representative who is in a vulnerable district and whose "party line vote" can not be changed when other revelations come out from DOJ investigations like rewriting FISA applications.

13. elkhart

elkhart

I'm guessing the Dems will just ignore it and the media will cover for them. People will not be watching the news much over the holiday, and it will be old news in a week or so.

14. Silvertiger27

Silvertiger27

Yeah, that's true it seems.

15. bdcochran

bdcochran

Now, now people!

Mr. Schiff has announced that while a report is being prepared, there might be additional testimony.

Oh, I don't disagree that he stumbled procedurally. And, it is certainly looks bad that a report is being drafted while he makes up his mind, but it probably is a normal procedure.

When you see a broadcast from the House of Representatives or the Senate, one of the prominent and anonymous people is the parliamentarian. Despite the fact that most federal legislators were born with silver spoons in their mouths and received expensive educations, I doubt that many had any class in parliamentary procedure, hence the job and the person that you see.

My speculations and observations won't change any minds about the merits, but I see some humor in the snafus committed by Mr. Schiff.

The "whistle blower" testimony:
    1. his identity is a secret because his life might be in danger AFTER Mr. Schiff said that he would testify.
    Potential testimony:
    I have no personal knowledge. I was not present. I was not working in the White House. My lawyers wrote the letter to the Committee.

16. Doc McGlock

Doc McGlock

From my understanding of constitutional law is that hearsay evidence is inadmissible in a court of law.

I'm no expert, but I didn't see any first hand witness to this sham being run by Democrats .........and are all DOA at the Senate doors!

17. thewitt

thewitt

Neither the Senate nor the House are actual courts of course, so they can really do whatever they want.

bdcochran, Doc McGlock and NMG26 like this.
  18. bdcochran

bdcochran

Possible exceptions to hearsay:
    1. excited utterance;
    2. dying oral declaration in conditions of reliability.

Thewitt is essentially correct. Each chamber can make up its own rules. I am not sure what the outcome might be if a party violates a rule adopted within his/her/its chamber of congress (I wanted to make sure that I included the shehims in my response.)

19. Doc McGlock

Doc McGlock

Again, I'm no expert on Constitutional law, but the Constitution, IS the law of the land and Impeachment is spelled out in that document, which is the basis of ALL law in the country.

The SCOTUS Chief Justice presides over any Senate Impeachment trial, and thus would be required to follow all statutes of the Constitution and has all of the appearances of being a court.

The presumption of innocence, being paramount, legal representation, allowed to call witnesses and cross examining of all witnesses, discrediting of all witnesses who were not first hand witnesses, I believe, are the basis of Constitutional law!

What has gone on with Schiff's debacle, and no where near the intent of the founding fathers that wrote the Constitution, would never get to trial, even in Judge Judy's court.

BOOSTED12A likes this.
  20. NMG26

NMG26

It seems like nobody can make them behave