Lets talk watches - If price was not an issue..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by inthefrey, Dec 9, 2016.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If price were to be no object, then I'd like to get a tourbillon of some sort from some obscure Swiss shop.

Bruce M likes this.
  2. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

This is a Casio G Shock MTG S1000D. It cost us about $1large. It is solar powered and syncs daily with the NF2 atomic clock in Boulder, assuring excellent accuracy. Only down side is it is relatively large.
    [​IMG]

For a bit more jack, Casio also manufactures the MTGG S1000 with GPS sync capability so that it automatically adjusts as one crosses time zones.

We are somewhat of a watch person and would likely have a number of high end time pieces were $$$ no object. While there are many beautiful models from the likes of Rolex, Breitling, et al, not sure we could do much better than the S1000D regardless of cost.

We trudge on (accurately).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016

3. roger123

roger123

I have a Seiko Titanium, really nice watch and weighs nothing.

4. Mikesguns

Mikesguns

I am on the same page with you and a couple others and on my 2nd G shock and the only complaint I have had is the tacky band. Finally recently replaced the band with a very comfortable one that is Velcro, sub $10.00. Like said, always accurate, automatically sets itself with time changes and very affordable. It is a bit larger than I prefer and does not fit like I would like it to under my leather motorcycle jacket sleeve but I live with that. Too many positives and I can live with that issue.

I am hard on stuff, one reason I have a Glock and too practical for anything more expensive. I have a couple Swiss Army watches that are nice but need sent to Ogden Utah for service. If I had the money some of you spend on watches I would have more Harley's. Not at all meant as a negative and not jealous or envious, just my priorities are different.

5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

We have similar taste.

The yachtmaster doesn't get much love on these threads but I do spot them quite frequently. Mine is about 13 years old, platinum and stainless.

For dress occasions, white gold date with croc band.

I cannot wear yella gold

6. agarr

agarr

Rolex Explorer II - black dial. Simple and classy.

Attached Files:

Deanster and G23c like this.
  7. G23c

G23c

to me, this is the quintessential "tool" watch. good call.

tadbart likes this.
  8. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

I pretty routinely (to the point where some here are surely tired of hearing it) say that if what you care about is pure function, an 'Atomic' G-shock does the job of a watch essentially as well as it can be done.

Therefore, anything nicer/more expensive than the most-basic Atomic G-Shock is being bought/worn for jewelry value. Nothing wrong with that, it's just important to acknowledge what's really happening.

G-shock is tough to the point of being effectively indestructible - anything bad enough to damage your G-shock while it's on your wrist is going to be a situation where the damn watch isn't really high on your list of priorities any more.

Accurate enough to be essentially perfect - even a low-end quartz movement (working properly) beats the pants off even the very best mechanical watches, on average. Quartz plus atomic clock correction? as accurate as any consumer item on the planet.

Water-resistant enough to dive in - almost nobody on the planet needs a watch with more water-resistance than the 200m a G-shock offers.

Even my beloved Seiko divers, which have many of the same qualities, and IMHO hold a similar space as G-shocks among mechanical watches (defining the point where anything more-expensive is bought for jewelry value) fall before the mighty base-model atomic G-shock in terms of price/performance.

9. voodoo_man

voodoo_man

Tactithulhu wears a lumtec

[​IMG]

10. Angel

Angel

Love those two tone submariners!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

I own one cheap (Chevy bow-tie) watch that I only wear when we go to car events.
    I have my cell phone which works fine for me (even as an alarm clock).

I have a clock in my truck and a clock on my motorcycle.

I'm retired. I go to bed when I get tired and get up when I wake up (unless I have an appointment) and I get by just fine.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Some of these looked quite nice...

P1080331.JPG